Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin at UFC 101 a prime example of UFC's appeal

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Middleweight champion Anderson Silva has won all nine of his fights in the UFC, the first seven either by spectacular strikes or submission. It made him arguably the most thrilling star in mixed martial arts.

His last two bouts, however, were a bit dull – Silva displaying a lack of aggression against opponents who weren't all that eager to mix it up. UFC president Dana White echoed most fans in expressing his frustration: Caution is not becoming in cage fighting.

STORY

Post #1   8/5/09 4:26:59PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
quote from article

"If fighters had the free agent or multi-promoter power of boxers, they could hold out for greater money and control their image and record along the way. It's essentially what Emelianenko, who signed with Strikeforce this week, is trying to do.

Few, perhaps not even Emelianenko, have that power though. This is like when the old movie studios owned the actors and paired them up with scripts and co-stars as management saw fit. It may or may not be good for the fighters' immediate finances (they earn a fraction of top boxers). It is, however, an undoubted boon to fans. There is no Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez to sit through when all anyone wants to see is Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao. There are no 25-0 untested fighters."

this is why I love mma and most of all the ufc.

Post #2   8/5/09 5:05:33PM   

Doneskiis

MMA Regular

Doneskiis Avatar

Career:245-173
Chips:

Posted by scobac

quote from article

"If fighters had the free agent or multi-promoter power of boxers, they could hold out for greater money and control their image and record along the way. It's essentially what Emelianenko, who signed with Strikeforce this week, is trying to do.

Few, perhaps not even Emelianenko, have that power though. This is like when the old movie studios owned the actors and paired them up with scripts and co-stars as management saw fit. It may or may not be good for the fighters' immediate finances (they earn a fraction of top boxers). It is, however, an undoubted boon to fans. There is no Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez to sit through when all anyone wants to see is Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao. There are no 25-0 untested fighters."

this is why I love mma and most of all the ufc.

exactly my friend

Post #3   8/6/09 3:15:46AM