Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BJJ Blue Belt Requirements

Print  
Posted By Message

Kimura_Kush

Learning to Sprawl

Career:51-38
Chips:
Is there any websites that show you every thing you need to know to get your blue belt? i want to earn it quickly. In video to demonstrate if possible. thanks

Post #1   8/4/09 9:29:07PM   

wasuppers

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I think every school has different requirements towards blue belt ranking. There are no universal curriculum for bjj academies. check out roy dean dvd for blue belt if you must. If you are not currently enrolled at an academy I must suggest that you do so as dvd/instructional are worthless without actually having a foundation to apply them from.

p.s stephan kesting has a free ebook which is gewd for those new to bjj.
hope that helps. good luck friend.

Post #2   8/4/09 11:05:50PM   

Kimura_Kush

Learning to Sprawl

Career:51-38
Chips:
my academy is under the saulo ribeiro evolution system. if that helps any.

Post #3   8/4/09 11:29:40PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,393-1,324
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This reminds me of that joke of the guy in NYC asking "How do I get to Broadway?"

Answer: "Practice, practice, practice".

Post #4   8/5/09 11:36:10AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by wasuppers

I think every school has different requirements towards blue belt ranking. There are no universal curriculum for bjj academies. check out roy dean dvd for blue belt if you must. If you are not currently enrolled at an academy I must suggest that you do so as dvd/instructional are worthless without actually having a foundation to apply them from.

p.s stephan kesting has a free ebook which is gewd for those new to bjj.
hope that helps. good luck friend.

Hmmm, I agree that videos are not that useful to those without a grasp of the basics, but I wouldn't recommend a book either.

I was at a Gracie seminar a long time ago (actually I think Jeff Joslin got his blue belt at that seminar, but I could have misunderstood. Royce basically just walked around watching a bunch of guys rolling and gave blue belts to those that he felt desverved them. A lot of the time belts are just given when the instructor feels the student is deserving.

Why would you want to get a rank as fast as possible? The rank means very little unless you want to compete, but then why would you want to compete if you fast tracked it to that rank and therefore lack training and experience/????

Post #5   8/5/09 11:55:57AM   

Gipper

RIP Evan Tanner 1971-2008

Gipper Avatar

Career:214-126
Chips:
consistantly tapout blue belts at the gym

Post #6   8/5/09 5:57:12PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Attaining a specific rank as fast as possible is the completely wrong attitude to have when approaching BJJ. If your belt is to be worth anything at all it must be attained through hard work, dedication, and many many hours spent in the gym.

We are told consistently at my gym that your rank does not matter it is your knowledge, technique and skill that is important. The rank will come once that knowledge, skill, and technique have been adequately demonstrated.

Last edited 8/29/09 5:12PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/29/09 5:10:40PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Post #8   8/29/09 5:23:07PM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:

Posted by Kimura_Kush

my academy is under the saulo ribeiro evolution system. if that helps any.

Saulo has very specific requirements for belt promotions, his program is known to be extremely difficult for promotions and he has his own specific guidelines. I would just ask your instructor what the requirements are, if you are at Saulo's place just ask him directly.

Post #9   8/31/09 12:10:55PM   

Vendetta

MMA Regular

Vendetta Avatar

Career:719-395
Camp: SSU Combat Club
Chips:
Forget about blue belt and just concentrate on learning the techniques themselves. I see way too many white belts coming into BJJ simply focused on gaining the next belt and not focused nearly enough on learning the actual techniques. The result, more often than not, is a spazzy white belt with crap technique still trying to outmuscle everybody even after a year of training, thinking that if he can just "beat" this blue belt then the instructor will notice and give him his as well.

Post #10   9/12/09 5:04:59PM