Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

On Fedor and the MMA Hardcore Community

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don’t know what happened. One day things were as per normal in the internet MMA community, the next thing people have gone certified insane. Maybe the blame should go to Josh Barnett for starting off this chain reaction that has led to Fedor Emelianenko being (unjustly) the most vilified MMA star this side of Gilbert Yvel. Things have moved quickly and Barnett has become merely an afterthought in the UFC/M-1 mamushka.

Hardcore, computer friendly MMA fans are constantly reminded how we make up a small portion of the larger MMA network. While that may be true, we consider ourselves educated and often superior to the casual rubes. We turn our collective noses up at the notion that many so called MMA fans are actually UFC fans. No doubt they are the ones calling it “Ultimate Fighting” as well.

The nerve.

STORY

Post #1   8/4/09 1:26:17PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I completely disagree with this article. While there have been some hardcores who have gone overboard, its because of our collective frustrations that have led many to that point of unusual outrage. Fedor signing with Strikeforce isn't the issue at hand, had M-1 and Fedor completely sidestepped the UFC and didn't even go to the table and immediately signed with Strikeforce, I don't think this would have been an issue. However, after all the negotiations between M-1 and the UFC came to the light and the absurd result of said negotiations, fans across the world, many of whom who have respected Fedor over the years, were systematically let down because Fedor is more concerned about money than he is about pleasing the fans.

I mean after all, this is a SPORT aka a GAME. Who are supposed to be the ultimate beneficiaries of professional sports? The fans of course. Fedor has clearly shown he doesn't give a damn about his fans, and there's literally nothing anyone can say to me to change my opinion on that. The UFC is clearly where the mainstream lies along with a boatload of cash. Does he stand to make more money with Strikeforce through M-1's co-promotional affairs? Sure, but once we start getting into the millions of dollars, that whole schpiel about wanting the good life in Russia after he retires is a load of bullcrap, because 10 million or 20 million literally wont make much of a difference unless he plans on living like a rock star. Fedor is being selfish, this is OUR sport and we are the ones who sign his paycheck, not M-1. Screw Fedor, I hope he has fun in Strikeforce.

Post #2   8/4/09 6:34:20PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I completely disagree with this article. While there have been some hardcores who have gone overboard, its because of our collective frustrations that have led many to that point of unusual outrage. Fedor signing with Strikeforce isn't the issue at hand, had M-1 and Fedor completely sidestepped the UFC and didn't even go to the table and immediately signed with Strikeforce, I don't think this would have been an issue. However, after all the negotiations between M-1 and the UFC came to the light and the absurd result of said negotiations, fans across the world, many of whom who have respected Fedor over the years, were systematically let down because Fedor is more concerned about money than he is about pleasing the fans.

I mean after all, this is a SPORT aka a GAME. Who are supposed to be the ultimate beneficiaries of professional sports? The fans of course. Fedor has clearly shown he doesn't give a damn about his fans, and there's literally nothing anyone can say to me to change my opinion on that. The UFC is clearly where the mainstream lies along with a boatload of cash. Does he stand to make more money with Strikeforce through M-1's co-promotional affairs? Sure, but once we start getting into the millions of dollars, that whole schpiel about wanting the good life in Russia after he retires is a load of bullcrap, because 10 million or 20 million literally wont make much of a difference unless he plans on living like a rock star. Fedor is being selfish, this is OUR sport and we are the ones who sign his paycheck, not M-1. Screw Fedor, I hope he has fun in Strikeforce.

. <---- World's Smallest Violin.

I am so sick of reading everyone's sob story about how they didn't get what they wanted. People got completely worked up by the thoughts of Fedor in the UFC and when it didn't happen everybody started crying like a toddler who didn't get their way. Fedor and his management have a very specific agreement they are looking for. The UFC (very wisely) did not meet that arrangement and M-1 signed elsewhere. Where is the problem with that? People say all the time that Zuffa is justified in making its decisions because "its business". It so laughable to read the same people talk about how Fedor should sign with the UFC "for the good of the sport".

Brock vs. Fedor is the fight we all want to see. It sucks that it isn't going to happen. It wasn't going to happen 2 weeks ago, and it won't happen now. Nothing has changed except that UFC has made an offer (a very generous one) that did not include the thing that is most important to M-1. The offer was rejected. It happens all the time in the world. It is a sport, but it is also a business. There is absolutely nothing unethical about rejecting a contract that doesn't meet what a company wants..

Beyond Brock... there really isn't that much of a difference between the fighters Fedor is going to fight in Strikeforce and the one's he would have fought in the UFC. The great thing about the UFC HW division is that it is full of up n comers, which would have ensured that Fedor would be facing quality competition. But there is enough quality outside the UFC still to put on great fights. Who knows where fighters will be fighting in a couple years? As long as Fedor is fighting quality opponents I am fine with it, even though I would rather see Brock vs. Fedor.

We though he would sign. He didn't. Get over it.

Post #3   8/4/09 8:20:38PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
the internet is the soapbox for the world. The bottom line is that this guy can say anything he wants but realistically Fedor's camp is completely nuts and wrong to do what they did. Any rational fan should want Fedor to fight the best and be promoted in the best org.

its not about TUF Noobs or hardcore elite - its just common sense. Fedor deserves some scorn. The fact that the hardcore elitists actually want Fedor to fight lesser guys just out of some spite towards UFC is truly warped.

Post #4   8/4/09 8:29:26PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I am so sick of reading everyone's sob story about how they didn't get what they wanted. Peo....................

Beyond Brock... there really isn't that much of a difference between the fighters Fedor is going to fight in Strikeforce and the one's he would have fought in the UFC. The great thing about the UFC HW division is that it is full of up n comers, which would have ensured that Fedor would be facing quality competition. But there is enough quality outside the UFC still to put on great fights. Who knows where fighters will be fighting in a couple years? As long as Fedor is fighting quality opponents I am fine with it, even though I would rather see Brock vs. Fedor.

thats just not true. Barnett is the only guy out there on par with the UFC top 5 or so. Brock is better than anyone in Strikeforce, Randy, Nog, Mir, Carwin are all better than anyone signed to Strikeforce or DREAM right now......then you have Cro Cop, Cain, Gonzaga, etc. Just those bottom 3 are as good or better than Alistair, Werdum or Rogers.

You can split hairs about certain guys but overall UFC has ALL the depth and all the contenders besides Barnett. The other non-UFC guys are all guys that arent good enough to be in UFC right now.

Stop the hate, admit the hero Fedor did something wrong.

Post #5   8/4/09 8:37:53PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,559-801
Chips:
this is a video of me after i found out Fedor signed with strike force instead of the UFC

VIDEO

Post #6   8/4/09 9:32:41PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I believe Fedor is using M-1 as much as they are trying to use him for profit. Fedor is using them as an out, so he does not have to fight in the UFC. The last time this whole trying to get Fedor into the UFC, the biggest obstacle was not being able to compete in sambo and if that was prohibited it was his deal breaker. Now that the UFC offers up a rediculous contract (whci hi feel was to much, the money, oking his sambo competition and giving free revenue offof the ppv buys to M-1 for absolutely nthing was just retarded) and now there is anther excuse for him to not do it. Whoever said strikeforce will be paying Fedor more money, is completely nuts no waythey can match them money offers. Does anyone know if Strikeforce is going to co-promote with M-1?? I haven't looked at that deal yetbut just wondering, if nolt it could prove M-1 didn't mean crap in the ufc deal.

I also DO NOT believe there is enough talent outside the UFC in the HW division to be compared to the UFC's. I mean there are some decent fights out there Overeem, Barnett, Antonio Silva (nobody mentions him) and maybe Bret Rogers(but I still hav ehope he will go to the UFC I haven't heard where he is headed) other then those 4 there aren't any guys really relevant out there. I believe the talent in the HW div is leaps in bounds above all ther orgs combined and Fedor being ok with fighting less talent really bothers me more then anything. I also think he isn't comfortable enought to get in the cage yet nethier. The UFC has all this talent who have been fighting and training for years in the cage and use the cage very well, such as Randy the cage levels the playing field with anyone for him. I think that may even play a small role in him not wanting to fight in the ufc as well. We have seen in the past peple transitioning from the rings to cages don't start off well. I hope after his contract with M-1 runs out that he will reconsider the UFC's offer; However, I have a feeling that offer wont be near as sweet as the one he just passed up

Post #7   8/4/09 9:36:10PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
As much as I wanted to see Fedor in the UFC, I can see why he didn't sign with them. As a Fedor fan, I am disappointed in him not signing, but this is a business.

The guy even said himself, if he didn't have to fight in MMA, he wouldn't. I cant hold a grudge against the guy, for wanting to make more money.

This was a win/win situation for Zuffa. They either signed Fedor or they got alot of the MMA community to frown on him.

Post #8   8/4/09 9:48:57PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Chips:

Posted by bootyclause

Posted by ncordless

I am so sick of reading everyone's sob story about how they didn't get what they wanted. Peo....................

thats just not true. Barnett is the only guy out there on par with the UFC top 5 or so. Brock is better than anyone in Strikeforce, Randy, Nog, Mir, Carwin are all better than anyone signed to Strikeforce or DREAM right now......then you have Cro Cop, Cain, Gonzaga, etc. Just those bottom 3 are as good or better than Alistair, Werdum or Rogers.

UFC:

Randy is great, but he has only fought once in the last 2 years... which was a loss to Lesnar. A Randy/Fedor fight has been a long time coming, but at this point it has lost a lot of its meaning.

I have no desire to see Nog fight Fedor again. He has fought and lost convincingly.

Mir is a good fighter who has been overrated imo as a result of his sub over Lesnar (who had 1 fight experience) and an impressive ko of Nog (who looked absolutely terrible in that fight). Mir is definitely one of the top HWs, but I don't think this match up is any more intriguing than Overeem.

Carwin has looked like a stud so far, but I would hope he would have some more time to refine his game before he would get in there with Fedor. Carwin needs some more time with some high level opponents.

Cro Cop has not looked very good for awhile now. His bout with Fedor in Pride was exciting, but it was also fairly one-sided. That was a few years ago when Mirko was looking good.

Cain might well be better than Fedor some day, but for now he is 6-0 with his only real win of note being Kongo.

Gonzaga - has been worked by every top fighter he has faced with the exception of Cro Cop. He has all the skills, but seems to melt under fire... like when he was stopped by Werdum. I had thought that Gonzaga might have the skills to be a top fighter, but he is definitely not anywhere near a title shot anytime soon.

Strikeforce:

Overeem - has been on a tear until his recent injuries. Since his suspicious explosion of muscle, he has looked very good. His success in K-1 doesn't directly translate over, but is a strong indicator that his newfound strength has made him dangerously powerful a la Brock. Still, it is hard for me to get past all the times I have seen Overeem get destroyed in the past. The Overeem I always knew looked great for about 3 minutes and then gassed and got viciously KOed. But he has not looked the same as then. After Brock, then Barnett (which honestly I don't really care about now that Barnett tested positive again), either Overeem or Mir would be the match I would like to see most for Fedor.

Werdum - Looked like crap against Dos Santos. His slap-based striking game against Arlovski wasn't really impressive either. He did, however, look real good against Gonzaga... and had a stellar record against good fighters in PRIDE. He definitely shouldn't be getting a title shot anytime soon, but he is no less of a contender than CC or Gonzaga. This wouldn't be my first choice for a fight with Fedor, but it would hardly be "fighting a can".

Rogers - Like Carwin or Cain, he has looked impressive against less than stellar competition. His KO over Arlovski was big, but is tempered by AA's paper chin. Overall, like Carwin or Cain, Rogers is a prospect who is quickly fighting himself into contention. I don't think Rogers will end up being as good as Cain or Carwin, but he is closer than most people give him credit for.

Yes, the UFC does have more depth. But in a 3 fight deal I am not sure that matters. Overeem is a suitable opponent for Fedor. I'd have rather seen Brock or Barnett, but sh!t happens. After that, I think it is ridiculous to try to guess what the HW picture will look like. If there is anything that is constant about MMA, it is that the situation is always changing. Who knows who will be fighting where, or who will have risen or fallen in the rankings.

People are acting like Fedor killed their puppy. I wish he would have signed with the UFC, too. But I am not going to join this lynch-mob mentality that people have and try to discredit everything about a fighter who is so far the greatest competitor in the sport's young history.

MMA has always had the problem that sometimes the fights that everyone wants to see don't happen because of "business". This is nothing new, and Fedor hasn't committed some unforgiveable crime against humanity.

Post #9   8/4/09 11:15:36PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by warglory

I am so sick of reading everyone's sob story about how they didn't get what they wanted. People got completely worked up by the thoughts of Fedor in the UFC and when it didn't happen everybody started crying like a toddler who didn't get their way. Fedor and his management have a very specific agreement they are looking for. The UFC (very wisely) did not meet that arrangement and M-1 signed elsewhere. Where is the problem with that? People say all the time that Zuffa is justified in making its decisions because "its business". It so laughable to read the same people talk about how Fedor should sign with the UFC "for the good of the sport".

Brock vs. Fedor is the fight we all want to see. It sucks that it isn't going to happen. It wasn't going to happen 2 weeks ago, and it won't happen now. Nothing has changed except that UFC has made an offer (a very generous one) that did not include the thing that is most important to M-1. The offer was rejected. It happens all the time in the world. It is a sport, but it is also a business. There is absolutely nothing unethical about rejecting a contract that doesn't meet what a company wants..

I think you should re-read my post, it wasn't a sob story at all, I even clarified that in the very beginning of the post.

There's one thing I do want to reply to you about though, and that's your comment about Zuffa's business tactics being "just business." You are right that Zuffa is an aggressive company, but despite all of their tactics, almost everything they do is for the fans. Why? Because the fans are what made them a billion dollar company, and they recognize that. Can we say the same about Fedor? No. He is in this to make money, the fans are a distant secondfor him. It's pure, unadulterated disrespect towards the people that are responsible for turning him into a millionaire.

Post #10   8/4/09 11:49:42PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Overeem - has been on a tear until his recent injuries. Since his suspicious explosion of muscle, he has looked very good. His success in K-1 doesn't directly translate over, but is a strong indicator that his newfound strength has made him dangerously powerful a la Brock. Still, it is hard for me to get past all the times I have seen Overeem get destroyed in the past. The Overeem I always knew looked great for about 3 minutes and then gassed and got viciously KOed. But he has not looked the same as then. After Brock, then Barnett (which honestly I don't really care about now that Barnett tested positive again), either Overeem or Mir would be the match I would like to see most for Fedor.

I'm not knocking you for wanting to see them fight I just don't understand whats up with the hype of Overeem. He was barely a mid level LHW and now he is a HW and everyone is thinking he is a top 10 or would be a good fight for Fedor. He hasn't beaten one top level HW and now some people think he could give Fedor a good match. I just don't get it.

Post #11   8/5/09 1:38:21AM   

Art_Jimmerson

BANNED

Art_Jimmerson Avatar

Career:17-14
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by warglory

Fedor's management have ridiculous wants and wanted far too much from the UFC, the likes of GSP, Lesnar, Anderson, Penn and Machida are all happy in the UFC, why should Fedor be any different?

This is called a forum, it's where people voice their opinions, or are you Mr. Internet Police on your daily patrol?

Post #12   8/5/09 3:01:01AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by warglory
He is in this to make money, the fans are a distant secondfor him. It's pure, unadulterated disrespect towards the people that are responsible for turning him into a millionaire.

I don't understand this notion. First of all, he provided hours of entertaining and exciting fights. That's what he gave to the fans. It was a transaction, plain and simple. You got entertainment, he got paid. He doesn't owe you anything else anymore than you owe him. Same goes for a movie stars, football players or whatever.

And now the fans will see him fight for free. Not 49.95 (or the cost of your internet connection) There are at lease 2 decent non-Zuffa fights out there. And the UFC "fast risers" like Carwin,Brock, Cain should thank their luck stars that they are getting more time to increase their skills before meeting him

Do I wish he pressed M-1 to release him of the last 3 fights? Yes. But he has chosen to honor his contract as it is.

You think it's out of disrespect to his fans? Laughable, since the vast majority of American fans haven't put one penny into his pocket anyways. How many PRIDE or Affliction PPV buys did the average US fan purchase?

Post #13   8/5/09 3:24:39AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Like I said in one of the first threads, I am still a huge Fedor fan and I will still watch him fight, but I will not contribute in any way to any M-1 Global card. (Meaning I will download it after the fact so as not to contribute ratings). I think M-1 was being clearly unreasonable and making ludicrous demands, personally I don't want to see what they would do if they had a successful company with some weight to throw around.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor ride out his next 3 fights then part ways with M-1 as his managers and go back to negotiating with the UFC. If this were the case we could hopefully see him in a year or so when Brock is more well rounded. Now that the smoke has settled and there's a little bit more information I think I'm going to reserve judgment on Fedor himself until I see what he does when his M-1 contract is up.

Post #14   8/5/09 4:03:50AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-935
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by ncordless

I'm not knocking you for wanting to see them fight I just don't understand whats up with the hype of Overeem. He was barely a mid level LHW and now he is a HW and everyone is thinking he is a top 10 or would be a good fight for Fedor. He hasn't beaten one top level HW and now some people think he could give Fedor a good match. I just don't get it.

He dominated a K-1 finalist handily, knocking him out fairly easily, and then took a three-time grand prix winner three rounds and may have won that fight if not for the knockdown in the final round. Combined with how terrible he made Cro Cop look before that fight was ruled a no contest, I do not think Overeem is the same fighter at heavyweight as he was at light heavyweight. He is a fearsome striker, but unlike the Cro Cops, Yvels, etc. out there, his grappling is not subpar (most of his wins coming via submission). I definitely think he's a top five talent at heavyweight, even if he's not ranked there. (It probably hurts my credibility that I am an Overeem nuthugger.) He and Lesnar I think are the two fighters that pose the most significant problems for Fedor.

The UFC has some exciting new matchups for Fedor, but most of their talent is still developing. The winner of Carwin/Velasquez, JDS should he beat Cro Cop, Couture if aging has not yet caught up with him, Mir if he puts together four or five wins in a row (which I would not bet on). That's not as favorable as Strikeforce, who offer Rogers, who knocked out Arlovski faster than Fedor did, Werdum and the ability to co-promote, getting Fedor into fights with Monson, Antonio Silva, and even Josh Barnett. I think there's advantages in both promotions, so as a fan I do not mind the fight possibilities that Fedor can immediately pursue with Strikeforce, even if I am disappointed he won't take on Lesnar in what would probably be the biggest match ever.

As for M-1, they're a business built on money, not legacies, so as I much as I dislike what they have done with Fedor Emelianenko, I can not fault it.

Last edited 8/5/09 4:36AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   8/5/09 4:32:27AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3