Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

M-1 Official: UFC Is WWE of MMA

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
M-1 USA Vice President Jerry Millen says M-1 is only asking for what is best for the sport.

"The closest thing to it, you've got a basketball and you're at a basketball court -- and I know this sounds silly, but you go to the basketball court with your basketball," Millen tells FanHouse. "And there's a guy there with a pocketful of money and goes 'Hey man, I'm going to buy your ball and you're going to sit in the bench and watch me play ball with your ball.' To me that's a sell-out."

It's not about the money, Millen says, it's about the growth of the sport.

STORY

Post #1   7/31/09 9:21:41AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Normally I'm one of these guys voicing my opinion for the necessity of other promotions, but guess what? The UFC has grown the sport immensely. No matter what anybody says, they are at the forefront. M-1 has been a member of a failed organization. Who has the better business model?

Here's a better analogy-

You show up at a basketball court with your basketball. There is a game already in progress 5 on 4. All they're asking you to do is join in to even up the teams. Instead, you take your ball and go home.

Post #2   7/31/09 9:24:28AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
INSERT BLATANT BASHING HERE

Post #3   7/31/09 9:27:39AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Chips:

"The closest thing to it, you've got a basketball and you're at a basketball court -- and I know this sounds silly, but you go to the basketball court with your basketball," Millen tells FanHouse. "And there's a guy there with a pocketful of money and goes 'Hey man, I'm going to buy your ball and you're going to sit in the bench and watch me play ball with your ball.' To me that's a sell-out."

Translation- Fedor is ours... bought and paid for. There is no way for Fedor to sign a contract with the UFC, because he is locked into M-1. A lot of people depend on M-1 money... and we are not selling our cash cow.

Post #4   7/31/09 9:36:43AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
I want to see M-1 fail...miserably.

Post #5   7/31/09 9:40:05AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,507-780
Chips:
lets all boycott M1

Post #6   7/31/09 9:43:43AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,873-1,006
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Why would Dana change his business model, the same model that has turned the UFC into the predominant organization in MMA. The UFC is where all the top talent other than Fedor rests. If M-1 management was truly smart they would strike a deal with the UFC so Fedor would become more marketable in the US and they could gain off that alone. Look at the organizations Fedor has previously fought in Pride, Bodog, Rings, and Affliction. One thing in common all of them are extinct. Stick to your guns Dana, the UFC is still the most entertaining organization on planet earth with or without Fedor.

Post #7   7/31/09 9:56:32AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Why are people even listening to Jerry Millen? He's a wanabe Dana and he seams to think that even with his pathetic back record he can badmouth the people and companies that are successful in the areas he wishes he was.

If Fedor doesn't sign with the UFC now he never will and that will be a HUGE loss for both of the parties involved. The UFC can help Fedor in many ways and Fedor the same with the UFC, but with M1 involved its a waste of time even talking to him.
Long story short the UFC will be just fine without him and if Brock defends his title 2 or so more times as dominant as he has in his last 2 fights Fedor may even slip off the top of the HW table. Fedor has a lot more to gain from the UFC than the other way round.

I say let M1 limp on until Fedor career is over and then watch them crumble. If they truly had Fedors best intentions as their driving force they would step aside and let him take the offer. They have prove nothing themselves nothing more than greedy, money hungry and bitter.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #8   7/31/09 10:02:33AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
'Going back to co-promotion, so you're saying co-promotion for M-1 means a 50/50 investment between the two parties?

Yeah, yeah. You sit down with the hard numbers. What's the fight purses? What's the venue? What's the advertising budget? Travel, food, throw it all in a pot, split it down the middle, and at the end of the event if the ink is black and there's a profit, split the profit, and if the ink is red, then just split the loss.'

Am I the only one who just doesn't buy this even slightly.

They don't have the cash to put on an event with Fedor on it period. They're gonna split a bill with the UFC?

Last edited 7/31/09 10:35AM server time by dangerfield
Edit note/reason: man can't spell

Post #9   7/31/09 10:26:25AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Jerry Millen is an idiot. Anyone who thinks he knows what he is talking about. Needs to listen to Bas Rutten talk about him. He is nothing but a weasel. M-1 is full of shaddy characters from top to bottom.

After all the UFC has done for the sport. Jerry Millen of all people is going to tell them how to do things.

LMAO, i believe Bas even said Jerry isnt even his real name. I think its Gary. He changed it because he is a poser.

Post #10   7/31/09 10:26:45AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,371-1,283
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This guy needs to shutup, fact of the matter is the UFC offered Fedor the highest paying contract ever to any MMA fighter and they didn't take it because they want to bring in all their friends along for the ride.

Honestly, it must be painful for Dana to try to deal with these ass clowns at M1.

Post #11   7/31/09 10:49:31AM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
I had forgot who I hated more than Tito, thanks Jerry

Post #12   7/31/09 10:53:07AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

lets all boycott M1

I'm in. Down with M-1

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   7/31/09 10:56:53AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by mentalcase

lets all boycott M1

I'm in. Down with M-1

I already sent them a not-so-nice message via their contact page on their website.

Post #14   7/31/09 11:01:05AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Jerry Millen is an idiot. Anyone who thinks he knows what he is talking about. Needs to listen to Bas Rutten talk about him. He is nothing but a weasel. M-1 is full of shaddy characters from top to bottom.

After all the UFC has done for the sport. Jerry Millen of all people is going to tell them how to do things.

LMAO, i believe Bas even said Jerry isnt even his real name. I think its Gary. He changed it because he is a poser.

Here is alink to Bas talking about the kind of guy Millenis
Bas on MIllen

Other than preside over Pride's demise , dis & piss off a true legend & ambassador of the sport like Bas , what has Millen done? Get the highlights in his hair redone?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #15   7/31/09 11:11:03AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2