Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

M-1: Fedor Not Offered $30 Million

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided.

“I can say that the guaranteed -- and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here -- the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond said. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”

Raimond was not present at the meeting that took place between UFC and M-1 management in Los Angeles earlier this week, but he said he was debriefed shortly afterward. M-1 and UFC officials, including president Dana White, reconvened the next day via teleconference call, where M-1 presented a counteroffer that included co-promotion. No written contact was ever presented.

M-1 President Vadim Finkelstein and Emelianenko were en route to Russia Thursday and could not be reached for comment. UFC officials told Sherdog.com that White is also traveling and their earliest comment would come Friday during a media conference call.

Raimond confirmed that M-1 Global had been presented with the possibility to receive a cut of pay-per-view profits in addition to Emelianenko’s guaranteed pay, but he said no other profit-sharing incentives were presented.

“And there were a number of provisions attached to that offer that made it very much less interesting,” Raimond said.

Many of those provisions involved the branding of M-1 within the UFC organization, according to Raimond.

“We made it clear that Fedor, now and forever is part, even part owner, of M-1 and those two cannot be separated,” Raimond said. “If the rest of M-1 is excluded from any kind of deal, it makes the deal difficult.”
link

This is from Loretta Hunt... so you take it however you want to.

Post #1   7/30/09 10:28:18PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,539-952
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
i'll wait to hear what dana white has to say tomorrow, but i wouldn't doubt if they're just running he said she said style damage control to ease the negative backlash this whole fiasco has created.

Last edited 7/30/09 10:54PM server time by fonduktoe
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/30/09 10:53:36PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:
I understand that it may not have been written, but how can you make a counter offer if you claim an offer wasn't made. Meltzer has never led me down the wrong path yet, so I will believe his report until proven otherwise. I suspect that the EA debacle was indeed a slip up and we'll be seeing Fedor signing with Strikeforce soon.

Edit: as far as discrediting the offer because of guaranteed money vs non-guaranteed goes...I'm not sure anyone is fooled. There won't be a significant drop in UFC viewership in the foreseeable future, so to say it's not guaranteed is assuming we're naive.

Last edited 7/30/09 11:09PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/30/09 11:05:42PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
It's pretty sad when I'm more excited for tomorrows press conference than I was for Affliction 3. This media chess match is brutal.

Post #4   7/30/09 11:58:23PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
eh... I'm sick of this. I'm not going to bother discussing or following any more of this nonsense until I see a headline that says Fedor has been officially signed somewhere. Until then I don't care anymore.

Post #5   7/31/09 1:01:51AM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,747-1,230
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:

Posted by Aether

eh... I'm sick of this. I'm not going to bother discussing or following any more of this nonsense until I see a headline that says Fedor has been officially signed somewhere. Until then I don't care anymore.

And until he (Eventually) lands in the UFC I still won't care.. No matter where he goes and who he fights.

Post #6   7/31/09 4:57:30AM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Im pretty positive Fedor was not offered $5m a fight, that's just insane. Meltzer has made no secret of his friendship and by the sounds he's pretty much relayed what hes been fed by Dana. I think both sides are to blame, M1 obviously want a load of there fighters to be given a chance in UFC like Affliction gave them but i think thats too much for one fighters contract.

Post #7   7/31/09 7:25:18AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
The fact is, whilst Fedor is under an M-1 contract, the only way he will fight in the UFC is under a co-promotion.

I will say this again. The UFC has to purchase Fedor from M-1, THEN, discuss a UFC contract. Much like a soccer transfer.

If the UFC wants to sign a contracted fighter AND retain their exclusivity, M-1 must be conpensated.

And a cut of the PPV isnt the right way to go.....can you imagine Manchester United buying a player without paying a fee to the pevious club but promising them a cut of the profits IF they make money from him!

Fedor says himself on sherdog when asked about the co-promotion/UFC obsticle link

"I have three fights on my M-1 contract, a contract I am happy with. After that then we will see"

Am I the only one who thinks this?!

Post #8   7/31/09 7:37:18AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
As far as im concerned, I have no reason to beleive what anybody involved with M-1 says over any other respected person, whether it be Dana or anybody else related to the sport.

Fedor is burning bridges not signing with the UFC. Even his own brother knows this. He'll never make more money than the UFC would pay him now Affliction is down the drain.

Post #9   7/31/09 7:55:39AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Regardless of who offers what the best decision for Fedor financially and competition wise is with the UFC.
If Fedor was to cut ties with M1 he'd make more money, fight better competition, cement his legacy and increase his fan base.

I honestly can't see anything good coming from staying with M1.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #10   7/31/09 8:11:14AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

The fact is, whilst Fedor is under an M-1 contract, the only way he will fight in the UFC is under a co-promotion.

I will say this again. The UFC has to purchase Fedor from M-1, THEN, discuss a UFC contract. Much like a soccer transfer.

If the UFC wants to sign a contracted fighter AND retain their exclusivity, M-1 must be conpensated.

And a cut of the PPV isnt the right way to go.....can you imagine Manchester United buying a player without paying a fee to the pevious club but promising them a cut of the profits IF they make money from him!

Fedor says himself on sherdog when asked about the co-promotion/UFC obsticle link

"I have three fights on my M-1 contract, a contract I am happy with. After that then we will see"

How many M-1 shows has Fedor been in? Zilch, and he signed that back in 07'. I think it's just another clear example of the conflict of interest that occurs when you own a stake in a fight organization, on top of managing one of the fighters signed to the said organization.

The last two years they've basically just used that contract to strongarm orgs into co-promoting or getting double dipped, because he's out on "loan" from some organization that he's never fought for, and probably never will.

Post #11   7/31/09 8:21:21AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by tomp6581

How many M-1 shows has Fedor been in? Zilch, and he signed that back in 07'. I think it's just another clear example of the conflict of interest that occurs when you own a stake in a fight organization, on top of managing one of the fighters signed to the said organization.

The last two years they've basically just used that contract to strongarm orgs into co-promoting or getting double dipped, because he's out on "loan" from some organization that he's never fought for, and probably never will.

He has never fought exclusively for M-1. I know this. But that isn't the point.

The point is, from a legal point of view...he is contracted to M-1 for the next 3 fights of his career. If the UFC want to sign him NOW, they must compensate M-1. It is that simple. Remember when Randy tried to retire from his contract?

Even if Fedor wasnt bothered about the co-promotion. Lets pretend he WANTS to leave m-1 and sign for UFC for the rest of his career...he COULDNT due to his contractual obligations.

Until the UFC make an offer to M-1 to give up the contract they have with Fedor to allow them to sign him, the co-promotion issue will not go away.

Post #12   7/31/09 9:40:24AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

The point is, from a legal point of view...he is contracted to M-1 for the next 3 fights of his career. If the UFC want to sign him NOW, they must compensate M-1. It is that simple. Remember when Randy tried to retire from his contract?

Even if Fedor wasnt bothered about the co-promotion. Lets pretend he WANTS to leave m-1 and sign for UFC for the rest of his career...he COULDNT due to his contractual obligations.

Until the UFC make an offer to M-1 to give up the contract they have with Fedor to allow them to sign him, the co-promotion issue will not go away.

I would be willing to bet my life on the fact that M-1 would NEVER sell their cash cow. NEVER. It's the only thing that makes them semi-relevant.

Post #13   7/31/09 10:03:29AM   

playmma

MMA Regular

Career:336-233
Camp: Endo
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

Nope, but the UFC may think that since Fedor is part owner of M-1 that they can find a workaround

Post #14   7/31/09 10:38:01AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by tomp6581

I would be willing to bet my life on the fact that M-1 would NEVER sell their cash cow. NEVER. It's the only thing that makes them semi-relevant.

I agree...they'll pass up the few million now in order to build M-1 into a profiting company. Not sure it will pan out, but that seems to be what they are looking for.

Post #15   7/31/09 10:46:32AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2