Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Update on Fedor offers

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
According to Chad Dukes of The Lavar Arrington Show With Chad Dukes on 106.7 The Fan and announced on air today, a source apparently is telling him that the deal Strikeforce has offered Fedor Emelianenko and M-1 would be for $1 million per fight: $500k from Strikeforce and $500k from CBS for 6 fights (not sure about what happens when he doesn't fight on CBS or perhaps these are all CBS fights?). Any fight would be co-promoted with M-1 and the contract would be non-exclusive. While I was adamant yesterday about the UFC's offer being excellent for Emelianenko, if these details are true the Strikeforce deal is excellent as well. It certainly isn't as financially lucrative as what the UFC has put together, but the clear obstacle of co-promotion is entirely removed.

STORY

Post #1   7/30/09 4:20:49PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This just in...Peyton Manning has decided to join the CFL because his name will be bigger on his jersey.

Post #2   7/30/09 4:21:35PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

This just in...Peyton Manning has decided to join the CFL because his name will be bigger on his jersey.

I'd prop you, but the site seems to feel I have to much love for you already.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #3   7/30/09 4:44:53PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I will never pay for or view live any event co-promoted with M-1 as long as I live.

I might steal them after the fact though. lol.

Post #4   7/30/09 5:17:14PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I will never pay for or view live any event co-promoted with M-1 as long as I live.

I might steal them after the fact though. lol.

me either bro. For free, or not at all, with anything M-1 does for me.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #5   7/30/09 5:21:33PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Sad thing is that this is actually a highly accurate comparison.

There is 0 benefit in turning this down. When DREAM and strikeforce fold M-1 will only be able to dream of an offer like this. UFC will have no reason to make such a generous offer because the situation will be "fight for us for whatever we decide to give you or fight for another 2-bit bankrupt promotion.

Post #6   7/30/09 5:23:30PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
M-1 rd 1 sub, strikeforce tapout due to co-promotion.

Post #7   7/30/09 5:37:23PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Please don't let Strikeforce die!

Who the hell are they gonna get to fight Fedor? Wont that fighter cost 500k plus as well?

Coker's on coke if he makes this deal after laying so much groundwork for a great promotion.

Who're the highest profile HWs they've had? Randleman, Arlovski, Overeem, Werdum?

They gonna send Rogers after him?

Post #8   7/30/09 6:00:25PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
overeem is the only fight that I think would be worth watching. Rodgers is on his way up but he has a ways to go before fighting someone like Fedor. Werdum is a solid HW but again no match for Fedor. He would have no way to get the fight to the ground an no chance on the feet.

Post #9   7/30/09 6:07:58PM   

innovater450

Learning to Sprawl

innovater450 Avatar

Career:774-542
Chips:
I just can't wait for all this to be over......After all this b.s. I hope fedor turns out to be a bust......even though i hate Lesnar, i'd love to see him jam that 3x glove down Fedor's throat one day.

Post #10   7/30/09 6:20:06PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I'm sure Strikeforce will have no problem finding fighters willing to fight Fedor at reasonable prices. Who wouldn't want a crack at him, especially if they are not a highly ranked fighter.

However, I wonder how many of those 6 fights will actually materialize. If I am counting correctly, unless I missed something, Fedor has only 3 more fights on contract (of which the duration is up soon too). So has Fedor extended his contract with M1 or is this an entirely separate contract altogether? By the looks of it, M1 is not even paying for his fights, but gets the co-promotion? Seems kind of retarded to me, but I guess that's also the consensus.

Post #11   7/30/09 7:25:18PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by emfleek

I took care of it for ya

Post #12   7/30/09 7:50:15PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
It is my humble opinion that Strikeforce needs to avoid Emelianenko like a pork burrito in Tiajuana.
Strikeforce needs to spend that $500K/fight on developing fighters to add much needed roster depth. You just can't survive with continuous catchweight fights or division-jumpers between the 8-10 fighters that have some name recognition with the casual fan. The lack of depth and pay scale would force them to build cards around Emelianenko, which if history is an indicator, is good in theory but not in practice.
Please continue to develop fighters and expand your brand. I watch Strikeforce due to the simple fact that it is free. I will certainly not pay to watch UFC cast-offs square off and a Emelianenko vs Rodgers bout doesn't pique my interest more so than a Le vs Shamrock II would. At the stage Strikeforce is at, Emeilanenko would be more burden than bounty and may possibly lead to their demise as well. This is sad because if Affliction proved one thing it's that there is room for two major players in the PPV market. Do it right.
On a (tangent) slightly related topic: To MMA newbies. Welcome! We have been expecting you. There is absolutely no shame in being new, inquisitive, or not as knowledgeable as others. However, the recent Affliction debacle led to more "Rogers would beat Fedor" posts among various sites than should ever be written (at this point) unless everyone is smoking crack. Your viewing of what Rogers did to Arlovski is in no way, shape, or form indicative of what would unfold with Emelianenko. Older fans are excited that newbies are excited but please form/express an opinion that isn't based on a singular fight.
As the well-spoken Hippysmacker alluded to in an earlier post, Fedor would have three much better match-ups right off the bat in the UFC with Couture/Mir/Lesnar than Strikeforce could hope to market at this time and UFC's PPV viewership is increasing even w/o Fedor. Personally, of the three, I feel Mir would be the best fight..Perhaps not the most hyped nor anticipated, but still the best in terms of comparable skills/size.
So in summation, Mr. Coker, please don't be a dumb*ss.

-OUT-

Post #13   7/30/09 7:55:50PM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by emfleek

I wish I could have a pretty little rainbow by my name......

Post #14   7/30/09 10:22:28PM