Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Case Against Fedor Emelianenko Signing With the UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It’s the David Axelrod graduate school of marketing here, but it also helps to have willing participants ready and able to carry your water. (Carmichael Dave is on KHTK in Sacramento and Dana White is a frequent guest.) Have you noticed how the campaign of information and misinformation online is working to discredit Fedor and try to paint him in a bad light? Look, we know he’s isolated and nothing is going to change and whatever happens for the rest of his career, it will be on him in regards to why he didn’t fight in UFC. If that offends you, then it offends you. Obviously he seems happy with his current business arrangements, so let him go off and do whatever he is going to do.

STORY

Post #1   7/30/09 11:27:49AM   

andrew2430

Learning to Sprawl

andrew2430 Avatar

Career:791-530
Camp: We're #1
Chips:
Imo Fedor is no longer the best pound for pound fighter, he only fights washed up, used to be the best fighters. The best fighters are in the UFC atm. He is now the best business man in MMA but I personally have lost all respect for him as a fighter. I hope he loses to someone like Brett Rogers who hasn't proven himself yet.

Post #2   7/30/09 12:10:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think if he were the best businessman he would take this offer because he would realize this is the best he will ever get from anyone.

Post #3   7/30/09 12:13:59PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
The offer was reported By Dave Meltzer. That is clear as you can be in saying it's legitimate information. The funniest thing about thsi guys arguments are how her object to the spreading information/misinformation over the internet and through the media. I completely agree that the spreading of misinformation does happen sometimes, and that it is wrong, but why would anyone object to normal information being spread? The truth is the truth. Sounds like this guy has an agenda , and that he is doing anything he can to justify it. That makes him a nutthugger IMO, and his opinion now carries little weight with me. Propaganda is wrong on any side . If the Dana tells lies, or makes promises he doesn't keep, I call him on it too. This "writer" ( and I use the term loosely) only wants to defend Fedor, or hate on the UFC, regardless of the truth of the information. The guy also defends the possibility that Fedor is cared of losing, and that its ok. I personally don't belive Fedor is in any way scared of fighting Lesnar or anyone else in the octagon, but that is a piss poor excuse for turning down a deal . To defend cowardice, when the whole point of Fedor signing with the UFC is to prove he is til the best ,is ludicrous IMO. Anyonw who makes this argument obviously has an axe to grind with the UFC, becuase I can't see him having a lot of respect for Fedor ,and thinking him a coward. Fedor can fight Lesnar , Couture , and Mir in the UFC. With Barnett being discredited ,I can't see 3 better matchups to prove he is still the man out there. Werdum and Rogers hold no appeal as a Fedor opponent in my book, and Overeem would still rank 4th at best on my personal list of possible Fedor opponents . Judging from the conversations I have had , and the things I have read since Fedors refusal came out, I think the overwhelming majority of mma fans agree with me. The craziest thing is I still think Fedor would beat them all.

Last edited 7/30/09 1:17PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #4   7/30/09 1:06:46PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

the Dana

I like it!

Post #5   7/30/09 1:08:28PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
I like Fedor, but while he is the greatest heavyweight in history, the current number 1 and possibly the greatest fighter ever.....he will lose or tarnish all of that if he doesn't fight in the UFC eventually. The man needs to fight Brock obviously but what about Couture, Mir, Kongo etc? Up and comers like Carwin and Cain Velasquez? The UFC is the top of the heap...Fedor needs to fight at the top of the heap.
Fedor will eventually lose his "high standing" and credibility if he doesn't make the obvious right move. Does he think there is an endless supply of UFC "has beens" to fight? When Fedor runs out of credible fighters....we will see him in the Octagon.

Post #6   7/30/09 1:54:03PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I appreciated the article myself. It provided a different perspective from the other articles floating around out there, which is fine by me. The writer of this article, IMO, can really only be accused of trying to make himself look objective, by criticizing the subjectiveness of other writers, which is nothing new in journalism.

Also, (without re-reading the article) I got the sense that the writer did not accuse the contract information of being false, but possibly oversimplified to the point where it is being misinterpreted. That type of oversimplification is present in politics all the time and no doubt all other facets of media, science, etc.

Post #7   7/30/09 2:01:32PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,959-1,110
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I appreciated the article myself. It provided a different perspective from the other articles floating around out there, which is fine by me. The writer of this article, IMO, can really only be accused of trying to make himself look objective, by criticizing the subjectiveness of other writers, which is nothing new in journalism.

Also, (without re-reading the article) I got the sense that the writer did not accuse the contract information of being false, but possibly oversimplified to the point where it is being misinterpreted. That type of oversimplification is present in politics all the time and no doubt all other facets of media, science, etc.

While i see your points, that doesn't make it right. Lies , over-simplifications, misrepresentations should never be excepted IMO. Thats part of the problem with the world as a whole to me. The style over substance, perception as reality crap is one of the reasons the world keeps getting worse.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #8   7/30/09 2:25:25PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

The offer was reported By Dave Meltzer. That is clear as you can be in saying it's legitimate information. The funniest thing about thsi guys arguments are how her object to the spreading information/misinformation over the internet and through the media. I completely agree that the spreading of misinformation does happen sometimes, and that it is wrong, but why would anyone object to normal information being spread? The truth is the truth. Sounds like this guy has an agenda , and that he is doing anything he can to justify it. That makes him a nutthugger IMO, and his opinion now carries little weight with me. Propaganda is wrong on any side . If the Dana tells lies, or makes promises he doesn't keep, I call him on it too. This "writer" ( and I use the term loosely) only wants to defend Fedor, or hate on the UFC, regardless of the truth of the information. The guy also defends the possibility that Fedor is cared of losing, and that its ok. I personally don't belive Fedor is in any way scared of fighting Lesnar or anyone else in the octagon, but that is a piss poor excuse for turning down a deal . To defend cowardice, when the whole point of Fedor signing with the UFC is to prove he is til the best ,is ludicrous IMO. Anyonw who makes this argument obviously has an axe to grind with the UFC, becuase I can't see him having a lot of respect for Fedor ,and thinking him a coward. Fedor can fight Lesnar , Couture , and Mir in the UFC. With Barnett being discredited ,I can't see 3 better matchups to prove he is still the man out there. Werdum and Rogers hold no appeal as a Fedor opponent in my book, and Overeem would still rank 4th at best on my personal list of possible Fedor opponents . Judging from the conversations I have had , and the things I have read since Fedors refusal came out, I think the overwhelming majority of mma fans agree with me. The craziest thing is I still think Fedor would beat them all.

This guy just saved me a whole lot of typing. I'd prop you if I could

Post #9   7/30/09 2:31:29PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by andrew2430

Imo Fedor is no longer the best pound for pound fighter, he only fights washed up, used to be the best fighters. The best fighters are in the UFC atm. He is now the best business man in MMA but I personally have lost all respect for him as a fighter. I hope he loses to someone like Brett Rogers who hasn't proven himself yet.

You clearly aren't a fan of Fedor then, especially if you "lost all respect for him as a fighter", which logically makes no sense what so ever.

Post #10   7/30/09 2:33:26PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

"The numbers being floated there are a little misleading. The UFC’s offer of $30 million over six fights isn’t a guarantee," Snowden learned from a source. "The number is based on Zuffa’s projections of what Fedor’s take of the PPV money would be, and the numbers they are projecting are based on selling a ton of PPV’s. The actual guarantee for Fedor is much more modest. It’s true that if business stays at record levels Fedor could walk away with $30 million. But that is no guarantee."

so M-1 is saying that they dont think Fedor can deliver on ppv buys and they want to paid that kind of money even when he doesnt deliver. honestly Fedor hasnt justified his paycheck yet imo. he's a great fighter but every company that forks out the cash to get him under contract goes under. except M-1 of course. co-promoting at its finest.

if Fedor doesnt take this deal i cant take him seriously anymore. he looks to be all about the money and protecting his undefeated record. the Finkle probably injected steroids into Barny while he was sleeping to protect Fedor.

done adding more to the conspiracy theory

Post #11   7/30/09 3:23:14PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

While i see your points, that doesn't make it right. Lies , over-simplifications, misrepresentations should never be excepted IMO. Thats part of the problem with the world as a whole to me. The style over substance, perception as reality crap is one of the reasons the world keeps getting worse.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it, but I am willing to read through it and extract what I can from it. If I had a grain of salt for every piece of writing that I had to take with a grain of salt, I could open up a salt business.

lol, I kind of like that soundbyte.

Post #12   7/30/09 3:27:05PM