Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko Gives No Reason to Think He'll Sign With UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The heavyweight champion of mixed martial arts and the sport's biggest promoter appear to have a major sticking point in negotiations that will keep them from coming together any time soon.

Fedor Emelianenko, widely recognized as the best heavyweight in MMA, reiterated at a press conference Wednesday that he does not intend to sign a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship unless the UFC agrees to promote fights jointly with Fedor's promoter, M-1 Global. The UFC has offered Fedor a contract but has steadfastly refused to become business partners with M-1.

STORY

Post #1   7/30/09 8:33:48AM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
IMHO this will never work with Fedor an the UFC they have strict buisness guidelines that make them what they are, and I don't see them bending to meet in the middle with M-1. Now M-1 on the otherhand has Fedor and they know he's wanted by every promotion so they have the golden ticket so to say and they are using it much like they have in the past.
The only thing I might be worried about is Fedor getting top level competion if he goes to Strikeforce (witch I thnk will happen) I see only 1 or 2 possible goo matches for him. but like I said before 1 of the 2 will have to break down to make this happen and I don't really see that happening...

Post #2   7/30/09 9:09:43AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,556-1,465
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by theguido

IMHO this will never work with Fedor an the UFC they have strict buisness guidelines that make them what they are, and I don't see them bending to meet in the middle with M-1. Now M-1 on the otherhand has Fedor and they know he's wanted by every promotion so they have the golden ticket so to say and they are using it much like they have in the past.
The only thing I might be worried about is Fedor getting top level competion if he goes to Strikeforce (witch I thnk will happen) I see only 1 or 2 possible goo matches for him. but like I said before 1 of the 2 will have to break down to make this happen and I don't really see that happening...

read the offer that ufc gave him and tell me they didnt bend.....

Post #3   7/30/09 9:11:55AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

read the offer that ufc gave him and tell me they didnt bend.....

Exactly. They bent over backwards.

Post #4   7/30/09 9:19:49AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
cut him loose, go after others big names, instead of one big fish grAB a couple high tier fighters instead

Post #5   7/30/09 9:32:39AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,271-1,222
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yup, I'm done with thinking Fedor is coming to the UFC. Not going to happen. This was almost like the Favre saga in a way. I'm done with both

1 fighter is not worth the headache, the ufc gave a more than fair deal to M1 and they turned it down. Prepare for the backlash

Last edited 7/30/09 10:44AM server time by kopower
Edit note/reason: na

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   7/30/09 10:43:30AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:

Posted by theguido

The UFC offered Fedor this:

-Six fight deal worth $30 MILLION! FIVE MIL A FIGHT!

-AnImmediate Title shot

-A cut for M-1 of the Lesnar/Fedor PPV, which would be the biggest grossing PPV ever...

-Fedor can Wear all the M-1 Logo's he wants

-And yes, He can Compete in his Sambo....

Yeah, the UFC more than met in the middle. THey pretty much eliminated every obsticle EXCEPT co-promoting with M-1. So because the UFC won't let M-1 Jump on it's back and give them a gigantic kickstart to compete with the UFC, Fedor won't sign.

And Honestly, if he can't accept THAT offer, I don't even want him in the UFC anymore.

Post #7   7/30/09 11:11:32AM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

The UFC offered Fedor this:

-Six fight deal worth $30 MILLION! FIVE MIL A FIGHT!

-AnImmediate Title shot

-A cut for M-1 of the Lesnar/Fedor PPV, which would be the biggest grossing PPV ever...

-Fedor can Wear all the M-1 Logo's he wants

-And yes, He can Compete in his Sambo....

Yeah, the UFC more than met in the middle. THey pretty much eliminated every obsticle EXCEPT co-promoting with M-1. So because the UFC won't let M-1 Jump on it's back and give them a gigantic kickstart to compete with the UFC, Fedor won't sign.

And Honestly, if he can't accept THAT offer, I don't even want him in the UFC anymore.

That's very interesting? Where did you read that?

Post #8   7/30/09 11:32:21AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RNC

There are a few threads in the News Forum about it.

Post #9   7/30/09 11:33:22AM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RNC

There are a few threads in the News Forum about it.

Thanks I see now. I started at the top.

Post #10   7/30/09 11:34:12AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
I wish the UFC would move on. I have been tired of Fedor for a while now because i knew he would never come to the UFC. Ever since he won the Pride GP has has nursed that record of his ever since. He refused to enter tourneys after that. Pulled out of fights. Took tons of "warm up" fights, rarely fought to begin with.

Now after you look at the lack of success other Pride fighters have had after leaving Pride. This was the final nail in the coffin that makes Fedor not want to sign. He will never sign with a company that doesnt let him hand pick his opponents. Just like top boxers. He has to much to lose by taking on all comers and losing.

Like i said before. You will not see Fedor in the UFC until AFTER he finally gets beat by someone. THEN he will try to get in the UFC or retire.

Fedor is doing exactly what top boxers do when they hit the top. Look at Mayweather. People say he is ducking Sugar Shane and others. He hasnt fought in ages. He gets to choose the style of fighter he fights, the fighter, the weight, the rules, gloves, when and where he fights, size of the ring, etc. This is what happens when fighters get to much control and make to much money. They will do everything possible to protect their record and their huge paydays. Its the fans who get screwed.

Post #11   7/30/09 11:34:54AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Do you think it's Fedor that is actually "in control" when it comes to this stuff? The guy doesn't come off as a stupid person to me and I don't see an intellegent person refusing this kind of deal. I wouldn't cast much doubt into thinking that there are others that are controlling Fedor, maybe by threatening his family or something. I've heard of this happening with top hockey propects in attempt to keep them in Russia. Just food for thought.

Last edited 7/30/09 11:41AM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   7/30/09 11:39:20AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Fedors management is awful, and stupid and they are ruining this mans legacy for their own personal gain

the contract the UFC offered is bar none the best any mma fighter has ever been offered, EXCELLENT to say the least,

Fedor needs to cut his management asap or else f**k him
who knows maybe he doesnt want to develope a losing streak(lesnar,carwin,velasquez,dos santos, mir, kongo)???

Post #13   7/30/09 12:09:48PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Well i think Finklestien is probley connect to the KGB or other organized crime. Dana White has hinted at the same thing. I felt that way long ago after some of the shaddy comments and demands from Finkle.

But that really cant be proven. In the end as far as we know. Finkle was choosen by Fedor to represent Fedor. So Fedor has to shoulder the blame of his management.

I do think Mob or no Mob Fedor is somewhat to blame. Finkle is trying to make M1 a success. If that were to ever happen then Fedor would become very wealthy for a very long time. He would basically be in Dana Whites position after his fighting career was over. So he has something to gain. Just because Fedor makes this decision dont make him stupid. Smart people make bad business decisions all the time. There is a risk with any business move. This may be one Fedor is willing to take.

IMO he is giving away his wealth he makes from fight. Risking his legacy for a lost cause. M-1 will never be on the UFC level like he wants it to be. Thats not to say he might not turn a profit down the road. But not worth the risk/reward.

Not only that. He and his manager are looking so bad right now. That this negative image will follow over and be a dark cloud hanging over M-1. Taking away what little chance they may have had.

Post #14   7/30/09 12:15:02PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

I do think Mob or no Mob Fedor is somewhat to blame. Finkle is trying to make M1 a success. If that were to ever happen then Fedor would become very wealthy for a very long time. He would basically be in Dana Whites position after his fighting career was over. So he has something to gain. Just because Fedor makes this decision dont make him stupid. Smart people make bad business decisions all the time. There is a risk with any business move. This may be one Fedor is willing to take.

From my perspective, when smart people make bad business deals it is generally obvious as to why they made the decision that they made. Also, in many of those cases pro- or op- onnents of the decision have the gift of hindsight when they determine whether it is good or bad. That being said, from the information that I have read, even if M1 is a huge success in Russia, what does that do for Fedor? He seems to be playing ball with these guys and I can only see benefit for them, not him. Not only that, Fedor does not come off as the type of guy that is interested in money. Everything that is left in MMA cannot be provided by M1 IMO.

Post #15   7/30/09 1:55:28PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3