Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What the UFC Offered Fedor Emelianenko (Dave Meltzer Update)

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
Seriously, if Fedor doesn't take that offer and decides not to sign with the UFC, he is going to lose his legacy. If Brock really is talent-wise the #2 heavyweight in the world, and he continues to run through the UFC, he will move up to #1 heavyweight in the world in my book. Fedor can't fight in a B-level promotion facing B-level competition once every year and expect to stay at the top while other guys are in the UFC facing the best in the world on a monthly basis.

In 2006 Fedor fought twice, in 2007 Fedor fought twice, and in 2008 Fedor fought once, and so far in 2009 Fedor has fought once. Granted 2009 isn't over, so expect one more fight, maybe, from Fedor. Thats 7 fights in 5 years. Not really astounding numbers. And let's look at his two most recent fights. He KO'd Tim Sylva, who recently just got KTFO by Ray Mercer in 9 seconds. That's right, 9 seconds. Then he KO'd Arlovski, who recently just got KTFO as well by Brett Rogers in 22 seconds.

Granted, skill wise Fedor is clearly the best HW in the world, and his overall resume is more impressive than anyones. But if he continues to only fight once or twice a year, especially against washed up fighters who the UFC has no interest in, he will quickly lose his title as the best heavyweight around if Brock continues to put a beating on the UFC's heavyweight division every 3 months.

Post #31   7/30/09 11:50:14AM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Well I would say that this offer isn't unreasonable like claimed by M-1 before. This is ridiculous to be honest. Highest paid contract in the sport along with PPV cut and publicity for M-1 on top of that the UFC throws in Sambo!

Def. the best deal they are going to get and I think Fedor is going to look back at this moment in time and regret it for the rest of his life. The UFC is the place to be as MMA becomes more and more mainstream and I for one say forget trying to sign Fedor. I'm of course a fan of the man's work but the UFC can say they tried and Fedor decided to stay away.

Disappointing day for MMA indeed. I have heard it said "The UFC doesn't need Fedor and Fedor doesn't need the UFC". Right now that may be true but the fact of the matter is the UFC doesn't need Fedor but Fedor is going to need the UFC to be relevant in MMA again to the hardcore fan after this contract offer.

Post #32   7/30/09 12:01:27PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by tomp6581

As for M-1 I've always looked at it like this...

Fedor is CONTRACTED to M-1, if the UFC want to sign a contracted fighter they must pay M-1 a fee to purchase Emelainenko even before personal terms of a contact are discussed. Much like a soccer transfer.

The whole co-promote issue is based around the fact that UFC will sign Fedor whilst his is still under an M-1 contract.

Hence M-1 one getting a piece of the PPV pie as well as promotional opportunities on the telecast.

You missed my point. Fedor v Brock will be the biggest ppv ever if the UFC promote it. But they need Fedor, an M-1 contracted fighter to do it.

If they give M-1 10-20 percent of the PPV profits, that is less money for them than a co-promotion. So they are obviously not going to agree to that.

UFC need to agree a compansation fee for M-1 to acquire the exclusive services of Fedor, after that talk personal terms with Fedor.

Also, there is no point offering a potential $30m to a fighter if you reserve the right to drop him if he loses. Why would Fedor agree to that?

I really want him to sign, but whilst he is under contract with M-1 I see this being very complex.

Make no mistake people...this is ALL about money!

Post #33   7/30/09 1:01:55PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

Posted by warglory

Posted by tomp6581

As for M-1 I've always looked at it like this...

Fedor is CONTRACTED to M-1, if the UFC want to sign a contracted fighter they must pay M-1 a fee to purchase Emelainenko even before personal terms of a contact are discussed. Much like a soccer transfer.

The whole co-promote issue is based around the fact that UFC will sign Fedor whilst his is still under an M-1 contract.

Hence M-1 one getting a piece of the PPV pie as well as promotional opportunities on the telecast.

You missed my point. Fedor v Brock will be the biggest ppv ever if the UFC promote it. But they need Fedor, an M-1 contracted fighter to do it.

If they give M-1 10-20 percent of the PPV profits, that is less money for them than a co-promotion. So they are obviously not going to agree to that.

UFC need to agree a compansation fee for M-1 to acquire the exclusive services of Fedor, after that talk personal terms with Fedor.

Also, there is no point offering a potential $30m to a fighter if you reserve the right to drop him if he loses. Why would Fedor agree to that?

I really want him to sign, but whilst he is under contract with M-1 I see this being very complex.

Make no mistake people...this is ALL about money!

Since he is under contract with M-1 he can go and fight on there card at the end of august and see where that gets him. Should be a great card w/ the return of don frye and all

Post #34   7/30/09 2:02:40PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Ok, I understand you guys being mad. Fedor owns part of m-1 so yes he's going to want them involved, duh! And also if the ufc still has the drop after one loss and extendo champion clause fedor won't sign it. Why would he? if he loses his first fight the contract was worth 5 mil and his credibility. Get rid of those clauses and he doesn't sign, well then who cares he doesn't want to fight.

Post #35   7/30/09 3:43:39PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,358-751
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Ok, I understand you guys being mad. Fedor owns part of m-1 so yes he's going to want them involved, duh! And also if the ufc still has the drop after one loss and extendo champion clause fedor won't sign it. Why would he? if he loses his first fight the contract was worth 5 mil and his credibility. Get rid of those clauses and he doesn't sign, well then who cares he doesn't want to fight.

The word is it was a 3 fight guarantee no matter win or loss and 10-20% of PPV sales is more money than M-1 will ever make in its life time. Even if Fedor owns part of M-1 it is because his manager had him buy in to it. If you notice his manager owns a lot more than Fedor does. This is a simple case of conflict of interest. If this was US based company his managers would be under investigation. Not only is it not ethical it against US contract law.

Post #36   7/30/09 5:48:22PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

The word is it was a 3 fight guarantee no matter win or loss and 10-20% of PPV sales is more money than M-1 will ever make in its life time. Even if Fedor owns part of M-1 it is because his manager had him buy in to it. If you notice his manager owns a lot more than Fedor does. This is a simple case of conflict of interest. If this was US based company his managers would be under investigation. Not only is it not ethical it against US contract law.

I was thinking the same thing.

Post #37   7/30/09 7:29:22PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3