Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

NSAC Considering Five Round Non-Title Fights

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
According to MMA Junkie, the Nevada State Athletic Commission will be looking to fine tune their ruleset when they convene on August 17th. NSAC has provided a copy of the potential changes here. Among the changes, NSAC proposes to increase leniency with regards to length of bouts. Here's the text (bold indicates proposed change):

STORY

Post #1   7/27/09 4:39:45PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I dont know if I would like that. Maybe for some fights but very few fights.

Post #2   7/27/09 5:09:19PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Chips:
It would make sense for every main event, for a title or not, to be five rounds. There are some other fights upcoming that should get this nod as well (although, unfortunately, this will not happen in time). Silva vs. Griffin stands out; one's a current champion and the other is having his first fight since losing the light heavyweight title, so it seems awkward for these two who have fought for at least the last year in 25-minute contests to get one here.

I think this being localized to Nevada may confuse a lot of audiences. Hopefully it works at the big MMA events so that the idea of five-round non-title fights passes everywhere.

Good move by the NSAC.

Post #3   7/27/09 5:14:03PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think it's a bad idea. It would be like going back to the old system of one incredibly long boring round. Shortening the time allotted for the fight forces the fighters to push the action.

Post #4   7/27/09 5:14:30PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
This is good in some cases but only in hindsight when it's close after the fight, you cant just assume a fight (big names or not) is going to need 10 more minutes. I think it gives fighters more time to do less, conserve energy to make it five rounds and eek out a decision, im yawning just thinking about it. Not to mention less fghts on ppv, might be giving up two great fights for one snoozer.

Post #5   7/27/09 5:32:03PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Like Ive said in the past I believe something like this to be the right move for several reasons.

Post #6   7/27/09 5:49:18PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
It's about time. Three rounds doesn't do it for me when the world's best fighters are competing. Seven round title fights should also be implemented.

Post #7   7/27/09 6:21:20PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

It's about time. Three rounds doesn't do it for me when the world's best fighters are competing. Seven round title fights should also be implemented.

Seven rounds..... ?

I hope you are just joking, even if your not the idea made me chuckle.

Post #8   7/27/09 6:31:14PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I like it. It seems like a lot of Main events have been ending in decisions--some of them controversial. I like to see a decisive winner in a main event--so way to go Nevada!

Post #9   7/27/09 6:45:12PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
That is stupid, end of story.

5 rounds should be left for title fights.

3 rounds should be left for non-title fights.

The athletic commission is going to screw everything up.

Post #10   7/27/09 7:00:59PM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
honestly, i thin k mma is the best sport out there but I would have to say that fights that are boring usually go the distance. So though there have been many classics to go a full 3 rounds you are generally making the slowest fights 10 minutes longer for no reason.

Also, you are guaranteed to lose at lesat 1 fight from every tv card you see - and that would be bad.

no real upside to this, i love 3 rounds.

Post #11   7/27/09 7:11:10PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

That is stupid, end of story.

5 rounds should be left for title fights.

3 rounds should be left for non-title fights.

The athletic commission is going to screw everything up.

Absolutely agree. I say the only non-title fights that should be 5 rounds are special fights or catchweight fights like Wandy/Franklin, GSP/Silva, ect...

In those scenerio's, I can see a reason for having them at 5 rounds. I would have loved to seen Wandy/Franklin 5 rounds.

Also, the increase in 5 rounds fights will decrese the number of aired fights. Most exciting 5 round fights dont go 5 rounds, I for sure dont want to watch a boring 5 round fight. Could you imagine a alib Stanres fight ( well run) for 5 minutes?

Post #12   7/27/09 8:01:22PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:
i dont wanna see every single lightweight fight go 25 mins. like someone said, only main events and possibly if it was a close 3 round fight

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #13   7/27/09 8:02:14PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,313-732
Chips:
I don't see a problem with it. Lot of fights I would have rather been 5 rounds and not 3. I agree with everything the writer said and think this will help push the sport even more towards main stream.

His point are very sound.
More decisive finishes - The more time the guys have to fight the better the chance are for someone finishing the fight.

Less importance per round - This will help a little with problems MMA has been having with judging.

More quality at the top of the cards - Think of all the fights that ended at the 3rd and you wish they could have keep fighting.

Franklin vs Henderson
Franklin vs Silva
Condit/Kampmann
Chuck vs Silva
GSP vs BJ Penn 1
Griffin vs Bonnar
Machida vs Tito
Griffin vs Tito
Chuck vs Jardine
Marquardt vs Leites
Lawler vs Lytle
Sanchez vs Guida
Sanchez vs Parisyan
Sanchez vs Diaz

and there is a ton more fights I would have loved to have been 5 rounds.

Post #14   7/27/09 8:28:07PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by telnights

I don't see a problem with it. Lot of fights I would have rather been 5 rounds and not 3. I agree with everything the writer said and think this will help push the sport even more towards main stream.

His point are very sound.
More decisive finishes - The more time the guys have to fight the better the chance are for someone finishing the fight.

Less importance per round - This will help a little with problems MMA has been having with judging.

More quality at the top of the cards - Think of all the fights that ended at the 3rd and you wish they could have keep fighting.

Franklin vs Henderson
Franklin vs Silva
Condit/Kampmann
Chuck vs Silva
GSP vs BJ Penn 1
Griffin vs Bonnar
Machida vs Tito
Griffin vs Tito
Chuck vs Jardine
Marquardt vs Leites
Lawler vs Lytle
Sanchez vs Guida
Sanchez vs Parisyan
Sanchez vs Diaz

and there is a ton more fights I would have loved to have been 5 rounds.

you cant foresee this, it's all hindsight (come on 20/20), those fights would have been great 25mins but you can predict that otherwise your just taking a chance.
"I don't see a problem with it. Lot of fights I would have rather been 5 rounds and not 3. I agree with everything the writer said and think this will help push the sport even more towards main stream."

Last edited 7/27/09 8:45PM server time by scobac
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #15   7/27/09 8:36:35PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2