Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Beat Brock? UFC Lists Velasquez, Carwin, dos Santos, Cro Cop, Couture, Nogueira

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Who can stop UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar? The UFC's official web site has delved into that question over the past couple of days, and here's the official answer: Cain Velasquez, Shane Carwin, Junior dos Santos, Mirko Cro Cop, Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

STORY

Post #1   7/27/09 2:10:02PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Personally, I feel like Shane Carwin has the absolute best chance... guy just has massive power in those hands. Talk about one punch knock outs? This guy is serious.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #2   7/27/09 2:30:18PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,093-662
Chips:
It's too early to tell with Carwin, Dos Santos and Velasquez. I think Lesnar would win the majority against any one of these guys. But I dont see Cro Cop puling out the victory at all. Unless he could time something perfectly, hed get taken down and it would end there.

Post #3   7/27/09 2:31:03PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by SamPan

It's too early to tell with Carwin, Dos Santos and Velasquez. I think Lesnar would win the majority against any one of these guys. But I dont see Cro Cop puling out the victory at all. Unless he could time something perfectly, hed get taken down and it would end there.

As much as I love Crocop I would have to agree..

Post #4   7/27/09 2:51:50PM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
I think if we could get a Greco Roman 265lbs fighter we'd have someone capable of doing this, anyone know one?
Out of all of them i think Carwin could KO him but imo he seems to have a suspect chin (although he's shown he can take punishment nothing has been like what he would take from Lesnar) and he would probably get taken down as well. Carwin on his back would not be good. Maybe Cain could take him down?

Post #5   7/27/09 3:10:47PM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:

Posted by shevtheman

Carwin on his back would not be good. Maybe Cain could take him down?

Lets not forget that Carwin has a wrestleing background as well, and much bigger fists. I would like to know how much power these guys have. I don't recall Brock scoring any clean KOs, but Carwin with 3 round 1KOs certainly makes him a threat, and if he tears through Cain I will have no doubts he will be the next in line for Lesnar (in the absence of Fedor of course ).
I would love to see this fight. I have had high hopes for Carwin since the first time I saw him fight.

Post #6   7/27/09 4:28:47PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
I think carwin has a good chance but based on fact alone I say Randy has the best chance, simply because he was handleing him until he got caught, Id rather base my decision of who has the best chance to beat him on what ive seen not speculation and what i'd like to see. If Randy would bulk up a little more I think he would have a great chance.

Post #7   7/27/09 4:35:15PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
carwins chin is suspect: GG rocked his bells bad , and so did Neil Wain (i think)

and lesnar is alot bigger then those two guys so id like to see if carwin can take the hits: and we haven't seen him go past the 1st round so id like to see if hes just a 1 round guy or can he hang in there

Post #8   7/27/09 4:54:28PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
If Randy is able to get past Nog and got another shot and actually won against Brock that'd be a very exciting....that's movie material. I'd love to see that but I agree that Carwin probably has the best chance. I do think Cain's has the best shot of taking Brock down consistently but I'm not sure if Cain will be able to get past Carwin. If Cain can avoid the heavy hands then I think Cain will beat Carwin. I think Cain is probably more well rounded but it seems like Kongo exposed one cain's weaknesses and i'm willing to bet my man parts that Carwin hits harder than Kongo....Kongo is more technical and probabaly faster than Carwin though so Cain might be able to avoid those bricks. All that being said...whatever, right?

i'm hoping Randy can pull it off and then officially retire on top but i'm not counting on it

I think Brock has the best odds against Fedor out of everybody listed. But I don't think Cain, Randy, or Fedor should be fighting Brock. They need some new weight classes. 225 245 265 and superheavy or whatever.

Post #9   7/27/09 5:08:32PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Im not convinced any of them have everything it takes to beat Brock although a few of them "could" beat him I dont think any of them can exploit the holes in Brock's game well enough to actually win.

If I had to pick one I would have to pick a "healthy" Nogueira the all of the fighters IMO have too many disadvantages for me to say they "should" beat Lesnar.

Dont forget this is all part of the UFC's hype machine to boot.

Last edited 7/27/09 6:22PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   7/27/09 6:03:41PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
They could beat him. I wouldn't pick any of them over Lesnar right now.

Post #11   7/27/09 6:20:03PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
funny how they say couture when the man beat him already
i think the man who will give him trouble is carwin

Post #12   7/27/09 10:45:17PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I'm tired of hearing about how Shane Carwin has the "tools" to beat Brock Lesnar. Let's list the tools:

1. Sloppy power punching.
2. No head movement.
3. Weak chin.
4. Suspect takedown defense (Gonzaga attempted one takedown, and had him on his back)

Definitely has a great shot of beating Brock. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think someone with a skill set similar to Brandon Vera would be able to give Brock trouble. Speed and the ability to stick and move and mix up kicks and punches. But of this list I think that Noqueira probably has the best shot.

Post #13   8/8/09 1:09:38PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,058-1,153
Chips:
Iv'e hopped on the Velasquez wagon for a while now, ever since i seen him dismantle brad morris in montreal. He will beat carwin IMO and then Lesnar.

Last edited 8/8/09 2:24PM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   8/8/09 1:13:52PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Iv'e hopped on the Velasquez wagon for a while now, ever since i seen him dismantle brad morris in montreal. He will be carwin IMO and then Lesnar.

I definitely see him dismantling Carwin.

Post #15   8/8/09 1:18:43PM