Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Belfort Willing to Fight Anderson Silva

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
With his “Affliction: Trilogy” fight against WAMMA champ Fedor Emelianenko, ahem Jorge Santiago, officially scrapped, former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort is looking to make a move back to the Octagon and make a run at middleweight king Anderson Silva.

“Anderson is a great friend of mine and a big champion but I’m looking for this [fight to happen],” Belfort told OUL Esporte of Brazil. “I cannot comment much on this right now but yeah, I always want to fight the best fighters. Of course it won’t be a pleasure [being Silva’s friend] but there isn’t another way at all in the sport. Kaka and Ronaldinho (Brazilian soccer players) are friends and have faced each other many times. It is part of my work and I need it to afford milk to the children at home.”

STORY

Post #1   7/27/09 1:32:16PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I'd love to see this, it needs to happen.

Post #2   7/27/09 1:58:02PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,739-929
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Howbout a rematch between him and Wandy at 185 ??

Hendo? Okami/Sonnen? Bisping? Cote? Maia/Marquardt?

More 185ers for the mix!

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #3   7/27/09 1:58:43PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
MW GP!

Post #4   7/27/09 2:09:27PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
This sounds like a great fight. I would love to see this happen. Vitor is one tough dude and so is Anderson. This just seems like it would be one great fight.

Post #5   7/27/09 2:20:32PM   

BMF

MMA Regular

Career:1,934-1,385
Chips:
More than likely wrong forum, howerver, IMO I think the UFC should bring back "Grand Prix" tournanment style PPV. I would think that would prove who was the best fighter and most deserving of the title or #1 contender.

Doesn't anyone miss the old days of the UFC?

Again sorry if the wrong forum.

Post #6   7/27/09 2:36:32PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by BMF

More than likely wrong forum, howerver, IMO I think the UFC should bring back "Grand Prix" tournanment style PPV. I would think that would prove who was the best fighter and most deserving of the title or #1 contender.

Doesn't anyone miss the old days of the UFC?

Again sorry if the wrong forum.

Wrong forum but I agree those tourney's were fun.. but most State athletic commisions would not allow them...

as for the topic at hand.. I'd love to see Vitor come in that is someone with good hands good chin and good ground game he could be trouble all around for Silva

Post #7   7/27/09 2:54:56PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,310-870
Chips:
I like Belfort, but I really don't know how he, or anyone else for that matter, reckons he warrants a title shot against Silva, given that he's only defeated two spent forces in the past year and prior to that was fighting in joke (and now defunct) UK promotion Cage Rage.

He just hasn't earned it.

Post #8   7/27/09 2:59:25PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Chips:
AC's don't allow old-style one night tourney's, and the UFC won't do unsanctioned events.

If you remember back, Strikeforce had a one night tourney a while ago and the only way they got it sanctioned is by having the first two matches of the night be a 5 minute 1st round to decide the winner, and then a regular fight for the finals.

I don't know any fans who want to see a 5 minute 1 round fight, I can only imagine the complaints over the scoring on who gets to go to the finals. Doubt the UFC wants to pay a fight purse for a 5 minute fight too

I agree though, those were great to watch.

Let's get Belfort vs. Silva inked!

Post #9   7/27/09 3:01:57PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Chips:

Posted by moob

I like Belfort, but I really don't know how he, or anyone else for that matter, reckons he warrants a title shot against Silva, given that he's only defeated two spent forces in the past year and prior to that was fighting in joke (and now defunct) UK promotion Cage Rage.

With all due respect, he never mentioned anything about having already earned it. He's only saying that it's a fight that he would like to have.

Post #10   7/27/09 3:05:00PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,310-870
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by moob

With all due respect, he never mentioned anything about having already earned it. He's only saying that it's a fight that he would like to have.

Indeed - he never specifically said it verbatim, but he certainly made the comment that he'd like it to happen, as do several posters here. I just don't think Vitor has earned it, particularly given his recent opponents - they're nowhere near the calibre of Silva, it's just not realistic IMO.

Post #11   7/27/09 3:17:15PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i agree that he hasnt earned it, but a lot of us that were fans in the "old days" remember how dominant he was and hes shown a return to that form lately and it has us excited because we've seen how dangerous he can be. on top of that his losses are to saku, overeem x 2, chuck, randy x 2, tito, and hendo, that is the greatest whos who of people in your L column that maybe any fighter has ever had.

Post #12   7/27/09 3:33:52PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I got a twinge in my pants when I read that! Belfort vs Silva could be one of the most exciting fights I'v ever seen!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #13   7/27/09 3:48:19PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

i agree that he hasnt earned it, but a lot of us that were fans in the "old days" remember how dominant he was and hes shown a return to that form lately and it has us excited because we've seen how dangerous he can be. on top of that his losses are to saku, overeem x 2, chuck, randy x 2, tito, and hendo, that is the greatest whos who of people in your L column that maybe any fighter has ever had.

Not to mention that a fair number of the losses were by decision.

Post #14   7/27/09 4:07:30PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
if silva does destroy griffin quick i could see a belfort vs silva in nov in vegas

Post #15   7/27/09 10:50:26PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2