Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

NSAC To Vote On Rule Changes In August

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
The Nevada State Athletic Commission will be looking to vote on a handful of proposed regulatory changes when it convenes for a Regulation Hearing on Aug. 19. And while a number of potential changes will be up for vote at the meeting, perhaps most interesting to MMA fans is the potential institution of limited instant replay. If the vote passes, it will be implemented immediately according to NSAC head Keith Kizer.

Article

Last edited 7/27/09 8:51AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: Typos

Post #1   7/27/09 8:50:57AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think this could be good as long as they don't go overboard with replays. Hopefully they use it mainly for eye pokes or groin strikes. When I read the title, I was hoping it was regarding knees to a downed opponent. I got my hopes up for a bit

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   7/27/09 11:11:06AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
It'll mainly be for cases like the first Anthony Johnson-Kevin Burns fight or Jamie Varner-Donald Cerrone, when fights appear to end on what could be illegal blows or unintentional illegal strikes as well as those that cause injuries, mainly to determine whether the outcome will be a TKO or something else. There also will be a separate provision/rule amendment that hopefully will mean the end of "Vaseline-Gate".

Last edited 7/27/09 11:14AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/27/09 11:13:54AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Chips:
Maybe I understood it wrong. So it's mainly gonna be used for determining the outcome of a fight? I was thinking the fight could be stopped by the ref before someone got tko'd to determine if there was an eye poke or illegal strike and start back up if the fighter was able.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   7/27/09 11:24:08AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I was thinking the fight could be stopped by the ref before someone got tko'd to determine if there was an eye poke or illegal strike and start back up if the fighter was able.

That would absolutely suck. Everyone argues that there should be more fights shown on PPV's. This would potentially allow LESS time for fights on PPV's. Accidental groin kicks and eye pokes happen way too much to even consider this. Unless it decides the outcome of a fight, replay SHOULD NOT be used.

Last edited 7/27/09 11:25AM server time by emfleek

Post #5   7/27/09 11:25:46AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
Here's the specific amendment proposed from the article:

A referee may view a replay, if available, at the conclusion of a contest or exhibition stopped immediately due to an injury to an unarmed combatant pursuant to NAC 467.718 in order to determine whether the injury in question was caused by a legal blow or a foul.

(a) If the determination is made that the injury was the result of a legal blow, the injured unarmed combatant shall be determined to have lost the contest via technical knockout.
(b) If the determination is made that the injury was the result of a foul, it must be determined whether the foul was intentional or accidental.
(1) If deemed intentional, the outcome of the contest shall be determined in accord with NAC 467.698; or
(2) If deemed accidental, the outcome of the contest shall be determined in accord with NAC 467.702 or 467.7966.

So had this rule been in place, Johnson technically wouldn't have been TKO'd by Burns. It could've then been either a DQ, No Contest or perhaps gone to the judges. In Varner-Cerrone, if Cerrone's blow that injured Varner was shown to be legal then it could've been a TKO and Cerrone could very well have won the WEC LW Title.

If you want to read the entire document, which has some other interesting proposals and stuff (including about insurance & medical expenses covered for fighters), the article is at the link below (PDF):

http://leg.state.nv.us/Register/2009Register/R003-09P.pdf

So as an FYI for those who complain about promotions not covering injured fighters' costs: THEY DO. To at least that certain extent ($50,000 minimum).

Last edited 7/27/09 11:33AM server time by DCRage
2 total post edits

Post #6   7/27/09 11:30:15AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by kopower

I was thinking the fight could be stopped by the ref before someone got tko'd to determine if there was an eye poke or illegal strike and start back up if the fighter was able.

That would absolutely suck. Everyone argues that there should be more fights shown on PPV's. This would potentially allow LESS time for fights on PPV's. Accidental groin kicks and eye pokes happen way too much to even consider this. Unless it decides the outcome of a fight, replay SHOULD NOT be used.

I agree with you. I just interpreted the article wrong. My bad, still trying to wake up

Post #7   7/27/09 11:52:33AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Sorry but I think this should only be used after the fight to determine if there was an foul blow that ended the fight. I just hope they don't give each corner red bean bags

Post #8   7/27/09 12:32:22PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Instant replay is a terrible idea.

Post #9   7/27/09 1:16:40PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,987-1,634
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I like this proposed rule change. I think the referee should use whatever he needs to get the call right.

Post #10   7/27/09 1:36:31PM