Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Antonio Silva Could Fight for Sengoku Heavyweight Title in December, Wants Josh Barnett

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Antonio Silva gave Tatame some interesting news regarding the Sengoku heavyweight title picture on Sunday. Here's an excerpt (roughly translated by yours truly) from the post they've got up:

Pezão eyes title fight in Sengoku

Owner of three heavyweight championships (EliteXC, Cage Rage and Cage Warriors), Antonio "Pezão" [Silva] is training to return to Sengoku on September 23rd, and now has even more motivation to win. "I have two more fights in Sengoku, and, winning this fight... I'll fight for the title in December. They're going to create a championship and I'll fight for the title," said the American Top Team heavyweight, who is still without an opponent.

STORY

Post #1   7/27/09 8:35:53AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
two guys who might not fight in the states again, funny.

Post #2   7/27/09 1:01:13PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
They are perfect for each other. It could be sponsored by Snapple. Or Minutemaid.

Post #3   7/28/09 2:25:37AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sengoku 12: "I Coulda Been Somebody"

Both fighters, especially Barnett, could have contended - Barnett was ten days away - for that #1 spot Emelianenko has had an iron grip on for five or so years if they followed the rules. Barnett had the potential to minimize the roles of Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski in the UFC's historically weak heavyweight division years ago if not for his first positive result, and after vindicating himself somewhat over time he ruined it once again in one of the five or six biggest fights at heavyweight ever and the biggest fight of his career. Silva, likewise, is way better than anybody he's faced thus far, so I do not quite understand the motivation for using enhancers. A lot of rebuilding to be done for Silva; it's too late for Barnett.

Should they fight, I would definitely be interested. Neither has a clear edge in any department; Silva and Barnett both have solid submission defenses and Barnett, who is the smarter striker, probably loses in the reach and power department against Antonio.

Post #4   7/28/09 2:40:59AM