Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Report: Diaz vs. Riggs II is off

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Strikeforce’s Aug. 15 event in San Jose, Calif. featuring the biggest fight in female MMA history between Gina Carano and Cris Cyborg was also supposed to be a history-making event in that it was going to feature four title fights.

However, after losing a heavyweight title fight between incumbent Alistair Overeem and challenger Fabricio Werdum due to Overeem re-injuring his hand, it appears that Strikeforce could be on the verge of losing a second title fight.

STORY

Post #1   7/24/09 8:36:13AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,463-760
Chips:
damn i was looking forward to Nick disciplining Riggs

Post #2   7/24/09 9:19:13AM   

bootyclause

MMA Regular

Career:1,044-777
Chips:
honestly, if Diaz had pulled out it sucks more than Riggs pulling out. Im not dying to see Riggs as long as they find a suitable guy for Nick to fight its cool for me.

Post #3   7/24/09 9:38:58AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,830-985
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
As of late this is becoming a very disappointing trend. All of the fights that I seem to be excited for are being axed do to injury. I quite possibly may be a jinx.

Post #4   7/24/09 9:44:46AM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

As of late this is becoming a very disappointing trend. All of the fights that I seem to be excited for are being axed do to injury. I quite possibly may be a jinx.

not the only one...

that card was looking awesome, now 2 of 4 fights are off. dangit...

Post #5   7/24/09 9:49:00AM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by babytater03

not the only one...

The 2 best fights are off, I am getting tired of this.

Just a conspiracy theory but do you think Dana has something to do with all the late pull outs from their major competitors? You know payoffs or something(except for barnett of coarse) it sure seems like sabotage.

It's probably just me, I'm very cynical.

Either way this sucks I was looking forward to this card and this is a huge hit for strikeforce.

Post #6   7/24/09 10:20:55AM   

Stills79

MMA Regular

Stills79 Avatar

Career:140-82
Chips:

Posted by Zekeil

Posted by babytater03

not the only one...

Just a conspiracy theory but do you think Dana has something to do with all the late pull outs from their major competitors? You know payoffs or something(except for barnett of coarse) it sure seems like sabotage.

Either way this sucks I was looking forward to this card and this is a huge hit for strikeforce.

Trust me, it's just you. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Post #7   7/24/09 11:56:20AM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by Stills79

Posted by Zekeil

Posted by babytater03

not the only one...

Trust me, it's just you. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

LOL....I told you I'm real cynical, I hope it's not true competition is good for the sport in general.

Post #8   7/24/09 12:05:22PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
SF has now confirmed the fight is off. Afromowitz says they are looking for a replacement to face Diaz but couldn't say whether or not the new fight would be for the title. Ditto for Werdum (to have faced Overeem) with an interim HW Title fight being one outside possibility.

Article

Post #9   7/24/09 12:11:05PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
Damn, that sucks. Diaz vs Riggs 2 was looking like it was going to be a great fight. Well, Strikeforce still has awhile until Aug. 15 hopefully they can fix these problems, find replacements for Riggs and Overeem and save this card.

Post #10   7/24/09 12:37:19PM   

jascri

Learning to Sprawl

jascri Avatar

Career:7-10
Chips:
When an MMA fighter commits to a fight, he needs to fight. I think a lot of times--not always--but guys are too worried about possibly loosing, one little thing goes wrong and they pull out. I can see Barnnet not being aloud to fight, but two weeks to recover from drug side effects? I don't know.

Post #11   7/24/09 2:01:11PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
RANDLEMAN vs Werdum!!!!! lol

Post #12   7/24/09 2:06:38PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I thought the talk all week was Rodger being a late replacement against Fabricio? Diaz just needs to come back to the UFC and why does Dana keep getting brought into this... does everyone think this has something to do with his "changing the face of MMA" annoncement...? LOL

Post #13   7/24/09 3:07:17PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by jascri

When an MMA fighter commits to a fight, he needs to fight. I think a lot of times--not always--but guys are too worried about possibly loosing, one little thing goes wrong and they pull out. I can see Barnnet not being aloud to fight, but two weeks to recover from drug side effects? I don't know.

He was in a hospital for it, so I doubt these are your typical run-of-the-mill side effects. Besides, why would an MMA fighter not want to fight? I don't think you give them enough credit by saying that, especially since Riggs has stepped into the cage so many times before. Besides - you don't fight, you don't get paid.

Post #14   7/24/09 3:32:48PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

Posted by jascri

He was in a hospital for it, so I doubt these are your typical run-of-the-mill side effects. Besides, why would an MMA fighter not want to fight? I don't think you give them enough credit by saying that, especially since Riggs has stepped into the cage so many times before. Besides - you don't fight, you don't get paid.

He WAS in the hospital and currently IS in the hospital according to the article I read and WILL BE in the hospital for the next couple weeks.

"Joe Riggs has pulled out of his fight with Nick Diaz after suffering a bad reaction to an as of yet undisclosed drug," the website report stated. "According to sources close to the fighter, Riggs will be recovering in the hospital for the next couple of weeks and therefore unable to fight Diaz. At this time it is unclear if Riggs' problem is physical or mental."

Post #15   7/24/09 3:37:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2