Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bloody Elbow Exclusive: Major ESPN Executive Attends UFC 100 as a Guest of Dana White

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bloody Elbow can confirm that John Skipper, Executive Vice President at ESPN in charge of content attended UFC 100 as a guest of Dana White. This was the first UFC event he has ever attended.

STORY

Post #1   7/24/09 8:31:16AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
This isn't the first time the UFC has tried to get into bed with a major TV network. It seems like everytime they do someone wakes up with the herp and the deal never gets closed.

I'm sure some day it'll happen. But I'm not holding my breath.

Post #2   7/24/09 8:38:57AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

This isn't the first time the UFC has tried to get into bed with a major TV network. It seems like everytime they do someone wakes up with the herp and the deal never gets closed.

Same here. However, I believe that when a deal *is* in place, it WILL be with ESPN.

Post #3   7/24/09 8:41:46AM   

bojangalz

bojangalz Avatar

Chips:
Well, it won't be with ESPN per se. It would be with ESPN's parent network ABC. The Spike deal UFC has in place is a cable exclusive. But since ABC is a broadcast network UFC is free to work with them. The biggest flipside to this is the fact that by offereing fights on ABC, the ESPN MMA coverage would jump by leaps and bounds. ESPN always runs major coverage for anything under their umbrella.

Post #4   7/24/09 9:10:33AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Well, it won't be with ESPN per se. It would be with ESPN's parent network ABC. The Spike deal UFC has in place is a cable exclusive. But since ABC is a broadcast network UFC is free to work with them. The biggest flipside to this is the fact that by offereing fights on ABC, the ESPN MMA coverage would jump by leaps and bounds. ESPN always runs major coverage for anything under their umbrella.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I read the article wrong the first time around and missed the "cable exclusive" comment.

ESPN coverage would be HUUUUUUUUUUGE for the UFC and MMA in general. If people think the sport is blowing up now, just wait...

Post #5   7/24/09 9:15:23AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,908-1,021
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I wonder how the vice president of ESPN felt about Brocks antics.

Post #6   7/24/09 9:49:18AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

Good point.

Post #7   7/24/09 10:20:18AM   

bojangalz

bojangalz Avatar

Chips:

That's the only reason Dana gave him the verbal beatdown after the show. If he didn't have the bigwig sitting next to him for the entire event Dana probably would have given Brock a bonus.

Post #8   7/24/09 10:48:51AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I am excited and worried about this possible deal.

Excited for more MMA shows and info.

Worried because ESPN turns EVERYTHING into a soap opera. They generate news. I noticed this years ago. I used to follow NASCAR. ESPN started covering it more and more and I started noticing different angles to stories. Watering down of certain antics and amplification of others that have nothing to do with the "sport" side of things.

You want mainstream? You get mainstream treatment and expectations. No than you. I think everyone wants MMA to be huge. I would like it to be huge too, however I don't want it to change to be bigger, which it would have to do.

What are you willing to sacrifice for mainstream coverage? No Rampage antics? No elbows? No Rogan?

Post #9   7/24/09 12:23:18PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Chips:

They probably thought that was nothing compared to Chad Ocho-Cinco (stupidest name in history) or T.O.

Post #10   7/24/09 12:28:59PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't want ufc on espn but i do want mma live to be on espn and not just espn.com

Post #11   7/25/09 9:10:08AM   

Art_Jimmerson

BANNED

Art_Jimmerson Avatar

Career:17-14
Chips:
The UFC is going to be shown on a new ESPN channel here in the UK soon, so that's probably why he was there.

Post #12   7/25/09 12:35:39PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,975-1,117
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Unless Jeter is among them spreading it I think they are safe from the herp. However, i bet they feel they have been told they were loved and pretty, only to never get ab phone call after the deed was done.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   7/26/09 7:26:59AM