Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The main problem I have with TUF

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Vincent_Vega

Learning to Sprawl

Vincent_Vega Avatar

Career:758-491
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I just wonder how some of these guys got into the show.

Like Wayne Weems, Blake Bowmen, there were a few others. Where its just like how in the hell did these guys make it on the show. Cause dont they have tryouts for the show.

Sometimes I think back then, those guys I mentioned above were just brought in to lose, so they could get finished.

I used to post with Blake in the sherdog OT, good guy.

P.S. I pwned him.

Last edited 7/24/09 11:10AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: Fixed 'Quote' tag.
2 total post edits

Post #16   7/24/09 8:35:51AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Vincent_Vega

I used to post with Blake in the sherdog OT, good guy.

P.S. I pwned him.

Post #17   7/24/09 8:38:22AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

The NFL has the best football players in the world but that doesn't mean the best CFL players aren't going to be better than the worst NFL players.

I don't agree with that comparison. I'm not saying I have a problem with other good fighters being in other orgs. What I do have a problem with (using your NFL analogy) would be the NFL bringing in a guy fresh out of high school football, when there are many more college football players with more experience and whose experience has solidified their skill set (at least up to that point).

Another example would be a person hiring someone for a position. They will certainly look for someone who has established themselves through education and/or experience. It doesn't mean that the inexperienced guy couldn't do the job as well or better, but there has to be some consistency when establishing benchmarks for what/who is appropriate for you company.

What I would be happy with is if the UFC wanted to bring inexperienced and experienced guys into TUF, regardless of how they do on the show, give the inexperienced guys a few fights in the WEC, before making the decision to move them to the UFC or not. That would be a way of also promoting the WEC as well. Where if you have guys like Diego with experience and who also run through the people on the show, I think that warrants them a shot in the UFC.

Last edited 7/24/09 5:51PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   7/24/09 11:08:24AM   

UFCmma666

MMA Regular

UFCmma666 Avatar

Career:228-138
Chips:
i dont quite see the problem were amir beat several "experienced fighters" and finished all of them matt riddle has been somewhat successful as well my point is that if they do well on the show and win i dont think its a issue and they give new guys a chance and if they are not successful they leave

Post #19   7/24/09 3:02:39PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFCmma666

i dont quite see the problem were amir beat several "experienced fighters" and finished all of them matt riddle has been somewhat successful as well my point is that if they do well on the show and win i dont think its a issue and they give new guys a chance and if they are not successful they leave

You can only say that in hindsight. I'm talking about the fact that they were even allowed on the show in the first place.

Post #20   7/24/09 5:52:22PM   

UFCmma666

MMA Regular

UFCmma666 Avatar

Career:228-138
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by UFCmma666

You can only say that in hindsight. I'm talking about the fact that they were even allowed on the show in the first place.

with so many seasons theyre scrapin the bottom of the barrell these days

Post #21   7/24/09 6:15:19PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by Kpro

The NFL has the best football players in the world but that doesn't mean the best CFL players aren't going to be better than the worst NFL players.

I don't agree with that comparison. I'm not saying I have a problem with other good fighters being in other orgs. What I do have a problem with (using your NFL analogy) would be the NFL bringing in a guy fresh out of high school football, when there are many more college football players with more experience and whose experience has solidified their skill set (at least up to that point).

We can make it an NBA comparison then, high school players who are raw and unrefined are drafted ahead of 4 year college players on a consistent basis. They're being drafted for what they can possibly become, not who they are (with the exception of Garnett/LeBron type players). They go straight to the NBA with bigger contracts than their 4 year counterparts strictly because of what they "could" become.

Like I said, I think they overlook established fighters that I'd like to see take part, and I think they keep the unrefined ones that don't progress quick enough on too long after the show is over, but I don't think them having these type of fighters in the UFC should have any bearing to call BS on them claiming to have the best fighters in the world.

Post #22   7/24/09 7:19:55PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with the NBA. I know in hockey any player that goes right into the big leagues has proven themselves in international competition beforehand, which is how I expect it to be.

Guess, I'll agree to diagree

Post #23   7/25/09 7:13:49AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
if u look at last couple past seasons their talent has dropped off alot there are only like 2 or 3 guys per season out of 16 to 32 fighters still in the ufc

Post #24   7/25/09 9:19:38AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2