Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

CSAC: Josh Barnett Failed First Random Drug Test in California State History

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,335-1,232
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There are still many questions that have been left unanswered in the wake of Josh Barnett's positive test for an anabolic steroid, which has forced Affliction to find a new opponent for Fedor Emelianenko on August 1. FanHouse spoke to the California State Athletic Commission's assistant executive officer, Bill Douglas, Wednesday evening to find out more about this situation and what it means for Barnett's MMA future in the United States.

STORY

Post #1   7/23/09 1:33:34PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read a comment from Barnett saying that he set the date for this test. If that is the case, then it's not so random. To me random is them knocking on your door in the morning asking you to pee in a cup without you having any idea it's going to happen.

Post #2   7/23/09 2:01:55PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read a comment from Barnett saying that he set the date for this test. If that is the case, then it's not so random. To me random is them knocking on your door in the morning asking you to pee in a cup without you having any idea it's going to happen.

Yes that's what I remember reading as well, which makes this even more weird. If barney set the date then he could have cut his cycle off. I'm hoping the csac didn't ruin one of the biggest(hardcore) fights in mma to date.

Post #3   7/23/09 2:09:16PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I wish this didn't happen in California. I have so many questions about that Athletic Commission that it makes me sick to my stomach. Not saying Barnett didn't do it- just that I wish I could trust the CSAC 100%

Post #4   7/23/09 2:52:35PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I wish this didn't happen in California. I have so many questions about that Athletic Commission that it makes me sick to my stomach. Not saying Barnett didn't do it- just that I wish I could trust the CSAC 100%

exactly, im not ready to completely chastise the guy yet because of the crap that goes on with the CASC. im still just kind of in shock about the whole thing, bad couple of days for mma.

Post #5   7/23/09 3:11:14PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
From what i understand Barnett is claiming that he volunteered for the drug test, but instead it was actually random......If Barnett is trying to say he volenteered for the test to try and make it look more like a mistake then him actually being on steroids.....OOPS!!!!!

Post #6   7/23/09 3:24:43PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
Since this very well could be the second time that Barnett has failed a drug test, I don't want to listen to the excuses that he has apparently made up. Whether or not, he set the date, he's failed a drug test before and should be subjected to more then guys who haven't.

Post #7   7/23/09 3:26:55PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,006-1,645
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I don't trust the test results because of what happened with Sean Sherk and the CSAC back in 2007.

Post #8   7/23/09 4:02:47PM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
you mean when sherk did steroids and got caught doing it ? lol

Post #9   7/23/09 4:05:03PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Today Josh Barnett issued this statement

"What I can say is that when applying for my license, the CSAC asked for me to submit a urine sample for testing prior to granting my license as they do with everyone, I believe. It was not a random test. I had no reason to believe there would be any issues and went in to submit my sample at the earliest possible opportunity on June 25th. I never once thought there would be a problem.

"My representatives and I are working to gather as much info as possible and handle this situation as best as we can. I am embarrassed and want for nothing more than to resolve this issue and receive a license from the State of California as I have done many times already and for other states as well.

I am very thankful for all the great family, friends and fans that still support me."

Post #10   7/23/09 4:17:30PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:

Posted by brooklynbadass

you mean when sherk did steroids and got caught doing it ? lol

lol? he passed 5 lie detector tests, and in case u dont know, the only people who can pass a lie detector test are considered "pychopaths" and have "no moral dilemas with the issue"

I am pretty sure Sherk isnt either.

I also understand the contraversial judgements the CSAC have made in the past, but this seems legit enough.

I have heard 30% of fighters use steroids or some type of hgh or anabolic during training and off time, and they will leave the system days before the fight. but then again thats just hearsay.

But what ppl are forgetting, what if Barnett didn't get tested before the fight, and actually ended up winning vs Fedor. Then what?

Post #11   7/23/09 10:09:20PM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

lol? he passed 5 lie detector tests, and in case u dont know, the only people who can pass a lie detector test are considered "pychopaths" and have "no moral dilemas with the issue"

Although polygraph experts will tell you that the lie detector tests are about 90-95percent a 1997 survey of 421 psychologists found the results to be about 61percent accurate.

Post #12   7/24/09 2:47:29AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
I smell a rat.

Things to note about this article.
- This is the first time the csac has ever done a test like this
- There are no measurements of the levels that this drug tested for in his system
- They have no plans to do anymore tests like this.
- Bill Douglas Athletic Commission's assistant executive officer said "it's unbelievable" that the first athlete ever tested in this way tested positive

Consider that, the csac get an income from the UFC having shows in california, the UFC could have more shows in other parts of the world or they could have more in california. The first ever test of its kind was done randomly on the main event of the only other big promotion. There were no measurements of the level of the drug tested, so it could have been someone deciding if a piece of litmus paper was a pinky green or a greeny pink. This is the only random test, they didn't put every other scheduled fighters name in a hat and pull out five names to test.

Post #13   7/24/09 3:47:27AM