Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Despite MMA Success, Bobby Lashley Still Wants to Be a Pro Wrestler

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bobby Lashley officially announced that he signed with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling last week. In the above video, which aired on Sunday's "TNA: Victory Road" pay-per-view telecast, Lashley tells Brandon Tierney of ESPN Radio 1050 that he "always wanted to come back to wrestling."

The former World Wrestling Entertainment star also says that he would like to face current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar in an MMA match because, "Brock is a champion; I would like to be a champion. So I'm watching everything Brock does, and eventually I do want to fight Brock for that title."

STORY

Post #1   7/21/09 8:14:50AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Working for TNA takes a grand total of 3 days a month out of his schedule.

And I'm sure they're paying him $40,000 - $50,000 per month for that.

He's a lower level MMA fighter. Let him make as much money as he can.

Last edited 7/21/09 9:24AM server time by finnish_line
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/21/09 9:24:35AM   

Fahrenheit1221

Learning to Sprawl

Fahrenheit1221 Avatar

Career:800-483
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:
Money talks.

Post #3   7/21/09 11:58:36AM   

zmazing17

Learning to Sprawl

zmazing17 Avatar

Career:660-446
Chips:
I disagree. I think that if he ever wants to be taken seriously as a mma fighter than he needs to give up the pro wrestling.

Post #4   7/21/09 1:21:05PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,090-1,176
Chips:
Wasn't he claiming he wanted to destroy Brock like a week ago

Post #5   7/21/09 1:30:07PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
Well Dana is going to demand an exclusive contract if he ever plans to be in the UFC, and maybe have a cooling off period from working with TNA and fighting in the UFC.

I am fine with getting pro wrestling fans, but do not want to ever be associated with it, I was even kind of annoyed when a guy at Sherdog kept on talking about wrestling in one of their radio shows. New people to MMA first question the reality of it, getting closer to wrestlng would only make it worse.

the "As Real as It Gets" tagline was created for a reason

Post #6   7/21/09 1:37:01PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Lashley knows he shouldn't be in UFC for another year or even two. He'll continue to fight in smaller MMA shows every few months.

He has a great opportunity to make some serious money in the meantime with very little effort.

More power to him.

Post #7   7/21/09 3:00:23PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Lashley knows he shouldn't be in UFC for another year or even two. He'll continue to fight in smaller MMA shows every few months.

He has a great opportunity to make some serious money in the meantime with very little effort.

More power to him.

The last article I read thinking about the future of fighting Brock a bunch of the posters were assuming it would be a year or less that Lashley would be in the UFC and I guess your comments kind of show that even Lashley understands that the will be longer road than that. I am guessing if Dana was talking to him he would most likely hold out for it. I do not see him in the UFC for a couple years even if his fights go well, if Affliction falls, only SF can give him the opponents and spotlight to make it to the UFC

Post #8   7/21/09 3:07:07PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I hope he does stick with MMA, I understand the money hes probably going to make in TNA but he was doing really good in MMA so I hope he returns to it soon and gets to the UFC soon as well

Post #9   7/21/09 9:56:23PM   

Shadymlm

MMA Regular

Shadymlm Avatar

Career:27-16
Chips:
I think this is a great move for Lashley. TNA's work schedule is very light so he get's paid good money for little work. And let's not forget the exposure he'll be getting which will make him even more valuable in the eyes of the UFC especially since TNA and UFC both air on spike TV. I think this move get's him in the UFC even faster and once he come's he'll get a high profile fight his first bout then probably fight Brock his second fight which IMO will smash PPV buy records

I used to watch wrestling and still do(once HBK comes back) and everyone thought that Bobby Lashley was just a bad attempt of replacing Brock. this would draw so many wrestling fans and MMA fans that it would be through the roof. All that aside it's also a fight that I wouldn't mind seeing both men are big and strong and as hell and Bobby showed he can Handle a big man in Bob Sapp granted Sapp's no Brock but he is still a huge fighter that Bobby controlled and kept on his back it's a fight I'd love to see anyone else?

Post #10   7/22/09 4:23:18AM