Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

And the P4P king officially is...

Print  
P4P best fighter in the world is
Fedor Emelianenko 31 48%
Georges "Rush" St-Pierre 17 27%
Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida 3 5%
Anderson "The Spider" Silva 10 16%
B.J. "The prodigy" Penn 0 0%
Miguel Torres 3 5%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Fedor Emelianenko : - Long considered the best heavyweight and P4P fighter in the world, Fedor has not only beat the best heavy weights he's done it with a weight disadvantage and he's done it decisively.
His career defining fights between long time number 2&3 heavy weights Mirko "Crocop" Filipovic and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira prove without a doubt the man is dangerous to strikers and grapplers alike. With PRIDE dead and long buried is Fedor still as dangerous as he once was, or does he need to beat the new up and coming UFC fighters to prove he's still the best heavy weight and P4P fighter in the world?

Georges "Rush" St-Pierre : - With out doubt the best 170 lb fighter in the world today, he's beaten everyone the incredibly stacked welterweight devision has thrown at him. His career highs include 2 destructions of long time welterweight kingpin Matt Hughes, 2 wins over top ranked P4P fighter Bj Penn and the destruction of Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch, Matt Serra and Josh Koscheck with little resistance, which is no easy task. Is this enough to rank GSP number 1 P4P or do his losses to Hughes(2004) and Serra(2007) tarnish his otherwise impressive record a little to recently?

Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida : - The newly crowned 205 lb champ and undefeated Shotokan Karate mystery. Since coming to the UFC Machida is yet to lose a round within the octagon. He 15-0 record speaks impressively for itself especially when you see names like Rashad Evans, B.J. Penn, Rich Franklin and Thiago Silva on there. No one has yet found a effective way of tackling his elusive fighting style and with his recent brutal finishes of Silva and Evans, Lyoto still seams to be improving.
Is his record and fighting style enough to warrant the P4P best title or does he still need to prove himself against the greats of the sport before he is ranked there?

Anderson "The Spider" Silva : - Undoubtedly the best middleweight ever, his steamrolling of Rich Franklin twice and destruction of every other middleweight contender that have been put in front of him confirm this with little or no argument. Silva has only lost one round since entering the UFC and that was to fellow top 10 P4P and MMA great Dan Henderson, a fight he went on to win by submission (Rear Naked Choke) after dropping iron chinned Hendo to the mat. Silva's ventures to the light-heavyweight devision have so far been successful only strengthening his claim as P4P king.
Does cleaning out the middleweight devision and winning in the light-heavyweight devision do enough to cement Silva as the P4P king or is the middleweight devision a little to thin for it to be considered as big of a achievement as GSP or Fedor cleaning out theirs?

B.J. "The Prodigy" Penn : - Often called the most naturally gifted fighter ever by his peers. B.J. is the current lightweight champion after having disposed of almost every challenger at lightweight, only Kenny Florian stands between B.J and a full sweep of all the best lightweights in the UFC. His career defining moments came with win over welterweight great Matt Hughes and the one sided beating of otherwise dominant lightweight champ Sean Sherk.
B.J has has fought in every devision up to light-heavyweight with various degrees of success and having toppled the likes of Rodrigo Gracie at middleweight, Matt Serra at welterweight and Matt Hughes at welterweight B.J deserves his place among the top P4P fighters. The big question is, is it at the top of that list?

Miguel Torres : - Although relatively unheard of to the casual fan Torres is included in almost every hardcore fans top P4P rankings. The 135 lb fighter has cleaned out his devision with only one loss to speak of. A loss he avenged with a textbook arm bar within five minutes of the rematch. Torres's 37-1 record speaks loudly for the fighter but while it showcases his ground game (22 of those wins by submission) it doesn't do his striking any justice. Miguel has beat a who's who of 135 lb's on his way to claiming the WEC bantamweight title next challenge is up and coming undefeated prospect Brian Bowles.
Is a record that even Fedor can't match worth the P4P title or will Torres have to move up a weight to capture the P4P glory?

Last edited 7/20/09 10:06PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/20/09 9:57:37PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
GSP. If everybody were the same exact size and possessed the same exact skill sets they currently have, GSP's wrestling, top control, and sub defense wins almost every time.

Post #2   7/20/09 10:22:53PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I think it's better to list fighters by their weaknesses and how they make up for them, so... let's begin

Fedor Emelianenko- Does not possess a strong american wrestling base, however his Judo and Sambo have helped make him more than a force to be reckoned with regardless of where the fight ends up.

Georges St. Pierre- Questionable mental toughness. Earlier on in GSP's career, he showed mental weaknesses. Most notably against Matt Hughes in their first match and when Matt Serra had him in trouble for the KO in their match. However, since that time GSP has shown little to no mental weakness with the help of a solid camp and a sports psychologist. With his recent win over Thiago Alves despite a groin injury, there remains few fans who question GSP's heart and mental toughness. GSP has also earned himself recognition as the greatest wrestler in MMA, which at any time is capable of rescuing him from trouble on the feet.

Anderson Silva- Lacks a solid american wrestling base, however his BJJ pedigree has helped him remain dangerous off of his back. Not to mention an obvious recent improvement in his takedown defense. Some might also say Anderson's confidence is borderline cocky, which is a weakness, but we've yet to see solid proof to back that claim up.

Lyoto Machida- Machida lacks a solid american wrestling base, but his Sumo training and trip takedowns have made that point moot. Possibly even more than Anderson Silva and Fedor's skillsets have.

Miguel Torres- Gets a bit reckless in his fights. Torres dishes nearly as much damage as he seems willing to take. While he has solid skills all around, in MMA it only takes one counter punch against a reckless maneuver to put a man on queer street. Also lacks a solid american wrestling base.

BJ Penn- no longer belongs on a P4P great list IMO.

Post #3   7/20/09 10:42:31PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
I'm going with GSP as well. I believe he is the P4P king right now because he has completely beat basically his entire weight class. GSP doesn't just beat his opponent, he dominates them. GSP has beaten smaller welterweights than him like Serra and he has beaten bigger welterweights like Alves. Right now, him and Fedor are really close in the race for P4P king, but if GSP moves up to Middleweight and beats Middleweights like the way he is beating Welterweights, I think he will pull away in the race.

Last edited 7/20/09 10:46PM server time by Irish_Pride
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/20/09 10:45:48PM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:860-612
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
I understand that Fedor beats opponents much larger then himself but I just have a really had time giving the title best pound for pound to someone who is heavy weight. Right now I have GSP as #2 in p4p the only reason being that A. Silva has fought at a higher weight class and been successful. I would like to give the title to Machida but obviously he has not fought enough high caliber opponents yet. So I nominate Anderson Silva as former and still current p4p king.

Post #5   7/20/09 11:29:31PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
Even with two losses to Brown I give it to Faber. Anybody that can make a fight that close without the use of hands gets alot of props from me. I wish he was mentioned in more p4p talks before the brown fights and now after.

Post #6   7/20/09 11:47:38PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,987-1,634
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think the P4P king is still Fedor Emelianenko.

Post #7   7/20/09 11:56:57PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Torres has my vote right now. With his height I think that he could hang with almost anybody at FW, LW, hell I wouldnt even see him getting smashed at WW. Also it seems to be the least popular answer so there you go.

Post #8   7/21/09 12:10:48AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think it's between Rush and Fedor. Fedor has only lost once in his career, and that was due to a cut. If he takes out Barnett, it solidifies him as the best p4p fighter in my book.

Georges is a close second. He has been is some wars and is the definition of a mixed martial artist. He blends all of the styles flawlessly. The only question I have is his chin. Fedor has been rocked and recovered. Since the first Serra fight, I get a bit nervous when Rush exchanges with his opponent. That is the only knock I have on him and it may not even be legit.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #9   7/21/09 1:04:15AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
BJ Penn-10lb weight class
GSP-15lb
Anderson-15lb
Lyoto-15lb
Fedor-65lb

These are the kings...who's got the most pounds to overcome?

Post #10   7/21/09 1:10:18AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Fedor, i'll always say that until i see him lose legitimately.

Post #11   7/21/09 1:17:51AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:
Fedor proved he was the best HW in March 2003 and has stayed #1 all this time beating top competition over the years

Anderson Silva proved he was the best MW in October 2006 has beaten top competition since then

GSP proved he was the best WW in November 2006 has lost once since then but has regained #1

Post #12   7/21/09 1:49:47AM   

wingman113

Learning to Sprawl

Career:5-5
Chips:
Im gonna have to give this one to A. Silva, just because Fedor is undefeated doesnt make him the best fighter in the world

Post #13   7/21/09 11:52:13AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Gotta go with GSP.

Fedor has beat some really tough guys though

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #14   7/21/09 11:55:43AM   

Chuckles

Learning to Sprawl

Chuckles Avatar

Career:817-607
Chips:
Fedor for sure, with his only loss being a cut he is definitely top. Once he beats Barnett August 1 that will just show once again he is #1 P4P

Post #15   7/21/09 1:17:40PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2