Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor: ‘I don’t think you’ll see me in the UFC’

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I think that this all depends on what happens post Affliction in August. If this is their last show (which is looking to be likely with their 18 fights), then Fedor is left with three options.

I think that the UFC is offering him the most money probably, but with the most restrictive contract.

He could fight in DREAM or Sengoku, but I would think that DREAM is a more realistic option. Sengoku is slowly trying to build their own stars, while DREAM is trying to buy up established fighers. DREAM is probably the only other org. that would cough up the scratch that Fedor demands besides the UFC. DREAM does nonexclusive deals and would probably let Fedor choose his own fights, as well as the return of Fedor fighting cans and freakshows.

If Affliction stays afloat, he'll probably ride it out there. I left out Strikeforce because I don't think that they can afford him.

Post #16   7/19/09 11:50:25PM   

Fahrenheit1221

Learning to Sprawl

Fahrenheit1221 Avatar

Career:800-483
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:
I don't ever want to see him in the UFC so that's fine by me.

Post #17   7/20/09 12:54:49AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The UFC have found some success in making Emelianenko a bad guy among American fans, but Fedor finds his fame at home from his domination in combat sambo, not MMA. Really, if the UFC wants him, they really can not win this contract debate without giving into that particular demand.

Post #18   7/20/09 1:12:44AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by The_Metal_Maniac

My personal opinion on this matter is that Fedors management probably doesn't want him to fight in the UFC. It's as if though they cash in off of his mystique more than overall skill anymore. The worlds best heavy weights outside of Barnett and Fedor rest in the UFC. If Fedor signs a contract and loses a fight say to Brock than his mystique is crushed. If you look at his last seven fights who has he really fought? Martins( who is he), Coleman( 10 years out of his prime), Hunt( seriously?), Lindland ( who is a natural middle weight, and in that fight was winning a take down until the ref let Fedor get away with holding the ropes), Choi ( a joke unless your an MLB player), Sylvia ( a mirror image of his former self), and Arlovski( who was winning the fight until his glass jaw was brought to the attention of millions). What I'm saying is that it's almost beneficial for him to stay out of the UFC, fight a few more times and then ride off into the sunset as the greatest HW of all time. There's more cash for him to be this free lancing champion, he and his management know it. For people who are writing Barnett off as if he doesn't have a chance, well you certainly don't know much.

Who should he be fighting, Randy? Brock? Kongo? Carwin? You act like the UFC has a ton of established legends. Randy's career has been a great one, but he's lost a ton of fights and Fedor has fought better fighters and dominated them. Other then him it's up and comers. The only reason people are calling him "scared" now is because of Brock. Like you have to be kidding me. Brock has done well, but Frank isn't a world beater, yeah he stopped Nog but we still don't know if it was the staph or if he's fading, other then that how is Frank anywhere near Fedor? Fedor should sign with the UFC if he wants to silence everyone, but I doubt he cares what people say, he lives in Russia and probably doesn't even have a computer.

Last edited 7/20/09 1:18AM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #19   7/20/09 1:18:06AM   

landstander

MMA Regular

landstander Avatar

Career:51-32
Chips:
I don't think Fedor needs to prove anything, it is the UFC that needs to prove that they have some depth to their HW division. The fighters ufc have now are light years ahead of what they previously had but it still looks bad for the "number 1" fighting org to not have the best fighter in the most prestigious division.

Post #20   7/20/09 2:56:49AM   

Doneskiis

MMA Regular

Doneskiis Avatar

Career:245-173
Chips:
noooooooooooooooooo.
o well not the end of the world.

Post #21   7/20/09 6:23:56AM   

iceman69

Learning to Sprawl

iceman69 Avatar

Career:1,470-806
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I'd like to see Fedor in the UFC.

Last edited 7/20/09 6:28AM server time by iceman69

Post #22   7/20/09 6:27:44AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,991-1,061
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

My personal opinion on this matter is that Fedors management probably doesn't want him to fight in the UFC. It's as if though they cash in off of his mystique more than overall skill anymore. The worlds best heavy weights outside of Barnett and Fedor rest in the UFC. If Fedor signs a contract and loses a fight say to Brock than his mystique is crushed. If you look at his last seven fights who has he really fought? Martins( who is he), Coleman( 10 years out of his prime), Hunt( seriously?), Lindland ( who is a natural middle weight, and in that fight was winning a take down until the ref let Fedor get away with holding the ropes), Choi ( a joke unless your an MLB player), Sylvia ( a mirror image of his former self), and Arlovski( who was winning the fight until his glass jaw was brought to the attention of millions). What I'm saying is that it's almost beneficial for him to stay out of the UFC, fight a few more times and then ride off into the sunset as the greatest HW of all time. There's more cash for him to be this free lancing champion, he and his management know it. For people who are writing Barnett off as if he doesn't have a chance, well you certainly don't know much.

Who should he be fighting, Randy? Brock? Kongo? Carwin? You act like the UFC has a ton of established legends. Randy's career has been a great one, but he's lost a ton of fights and Fedor has fought better fighters and dominated them. Other then him it's up and comers. The only reason people are calling him "scared" now is because of Brock. Like you have to be kidding me. Brock has done well, but Frank isn't a world beater, yeah he stopped Nog but we still don't know if it was the staph or if he's fading, other then that how is Frank anywhere near Fedor? Fedor should sign with the UFC if he wants to silence everyone, but I doubt he cares what people say, he lives in Russia and probably doesn't even have a computer.

My whole perception of this matter is purely speculative. In my rant I do not state that Fedor is afraid of anyone. I'm simply suggesting his management teams sees it fit to cash in more on his image than his fighting.

Post #23   7/20/09 6:29:02AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

I agree with what your saying for the most part,but I think in bringing up his past opponents,their are some flaws their.

Martins (Zulu JR.): Yeah. This was a freakshow fight for sure. But hey,at least he was undeafted until he fought Fedor.

Coleman: I think a lot of people dog on Coleman too much. Out of his last 12 fights,11 of them have been against top caliber opponents. Coleman hasn't taken an easy fight in 9 years. Look at his last 5 loses:
Shogun
Fedor
CC
Fedor
Big Nog
At least if he's losing,he's losing to some of the best.
Then he goes and takes Bonnar.
I think Coleman doesn't get a fair shake,because people sterotype him as a washed up roid head,but when looking at his record,and seeing all the world class people he has fought (and most if not all he fought in their prime),I think you would be hard pressed to say anyone could do better.Especially for a guy who's been around since UFC 10.

Hunt: It's easy to look at Hunts record and make criticisims about Fedor fighting him.But Hunt was looking like a fighter that kept vastly improving fight to fight. He had won 5 fights in a row,including fights against CC and Wanderlei (though the fight was contraversial). Barnett had beaten him prior,but Hunt came in and proved he would give Fedor all he could handle.

Lindland: Yes Lindland was smaller than Fedor. And yes you could argue that Fedor grabbed the ropes,but as someone pointed out here on the playground a while back,Lindland landed a few illegal blows before the rope grabbing.
I will try to find the thread,though I can't remember were it was.
Even at that,most the people Fedor fights seem to dwarf him. It's not like he goes around beating on littler peopl all the time.

Choi: Yes you can argue this a freakshow fight as well. Though I want to see Choi in a few more MMA bouts before I pass judgement on him.

Sylvia: Was still top 10 when Fedor beat him. Wasn't considered out of the game until his loss to Mercer.

Arloski: Had come off 5 impressive victories. Was top 10 as well.
Even though he lost to Rogers afterwards,I think Rogers is going to prove he's a threat in the HW division.

Like I said,I agree with what you said,I just don't think you gave those opponents a fair shake.

Post #24   7/20/09 8:02:32AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
The way I look at it is this. Fedor (from his interviews) seems to be interested in solving interesting problems for fights. That is, he wants to fight people that pose interesting problems for him to solve. From this aspect I totally respect the guy because it shows that he is really into the intricate aspects of combat.

Then we have the UFC. Putting all the specifics that have floated around regarding previous negotiations between them and Fedor, the UFC typically wants to sign fighters for multiple fights and basically have control over who and when they fight. Based on what I think (see above) of Fedor, it doesn't come to much of a surprise that he doesn't go for that.

I don't think we'll see Fedor inside the UFC because the whole situation is at an impasse. I'm just speculating, but...

Fedor wants to fight whom he finds is interesting, but the UFC will want him to fight whomever they want him to fight. I'm sure Fedor would be happy to take single fight deals with the UFC (even if the title is not on the line) against people he wants to fight, but I don't see the UFC going for that because if their champion or top fight loses, they at least want the winner of the fight to be in the UFC. This is why I am certain that most fight contracts get re-negotiated after a fighter wins/defends their title.

In summary, I think the problem is based on the fact that both sides have different visions and priorities.

Last edited 7/20/09 9:09AM server time by Rush

Post #25   7/20/09 9:09:07AM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I think he will see the UFC make whatever deal that Fedor will agree to... Look at what they recently did for cro-cop who is not top game nor a uge money draw. the whole MMA community knows what Fedor in the UFC means, that right there si the closest thing to monopoly besides the UFC buying out every org that there is.

The UFC will need to do a show in Japan, which is a great idea for them anyways. If UFC is able to start doing shows in Japan, alot of oppurtunities will open up for the Japanese fighters and for the UFC.

Post #26   7/20/09 9:20:29PM   

burialchamber

Standup Guy

burialchamber Avatar

Career:287-139
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Watch out keyboard warriors!!!

Post #27   7/20/09 10:15:49PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,991-1,061
Chips:

Posted by burialchamber

Posted by cmill21

Watch out keyboard warriors!!!

After looking at that I went down stairs and locked my doors.

Post #28   7/20/09 11:25:19PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2