Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bad timing: Thiago Alves knows he can beat Georges St. Pierre

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“I have nothing to say, he was better than me that night and now I have to go back to my training and work hard to get this belt. There are a lot of thing in my camp that was a mistake. Now I see the mistakes that I did and I’ll fix them and won’t let it happen again. St. Pierre is a great fighter, fought very well, but I couldn’t find myself in the fight. I learned a lot with this fight, I saw what the best fighter in the world has at his best, seen the best of the best fighter and I know I can beat him…. The only problem that I had in my preparation for this fight is that I wasn’t with my Muay Thai coach, with whom I train for the last three years. He had to go away three months ago and I missed him a lot. I felt out of timing in the fight…. My cardio was good, I was strong, but my timing wasn’t good.”

Former number one welterweight contender Thiago Alves talks about what went wrong during his five-round unanimous decision loss to 170-pound kingpin Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100. “The Pitbull” — who still feels he can defeat “Rush” despite the lopsided drubbing — makes no mention of “weighty issues” having any impact on his performance. Instead, he reveals that his striking, which is clearly the most dynamic aspect of his game, was what failed him because his instructor was out of town for the final three months of training. Regardless, Alves will have to get back in line and work his way up the welterweight ladder for another crack at the unstoppable Canadian. Who’s next? His next fight is still up in the air, but perhaps you want to play matchmaker in the comments section below — Jon Fitch, Marcus Davis, Dan Hardy … what showdown do you want to see?

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/18/09 7:37:31PM   

joshryanshepherd

BANNED

joshryanshepherd Avatar

Career:217-147
Chips:
its gonna take a lot more than good timing to dethrone Georges

Fox Hound- The Patriots of the Playground!

#1 in points-1st season
#1 in points- 2nd season
#1 in points- 3rd season
#1 in points- 4th season
#1 in points- 5th season

aswell as #1 in Wagers and the entire Secondary league...

Post #2   7/18/09 8:50:03PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
. . .

Last edited 7/18/09 9:43PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   7/18/09 9:41:57PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dear Thiago,
It's not timing, it's called riddum...you cannot andle his riddum!

Last edited 7/18/09 11:34PM server time by grappler0000

Post #4   7/18/09 11:34:30PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

"best fighter in the world at his best"....the man pulled his f*cking groin and still made you look like an amateur; keep dreaming Thiago

Post #5   7/19/09 1:05:32AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,720-915
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000
It's not timing, it's called riddum...you cannot andle his riddum!

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #6   7/19/09 1:36:24AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Alves has "bad timing" GSP pulled his groin and could hardly walk. I think that made the fight even.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

Alves got owned. And if they fight again, if bet my house it would happen again. I mean, no disrespect to Alves or anything, after Fitch and GSP hes the best WW in the UFC at the moment, but he doesnt stand a chance IMO.

Post #7   7/19/09 1:52:55AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
I thought Alves did an okay job, despite GSP's groin pull. I am by no means saying that he can or could have beat GSP but the words I said at the end of that fight is Thiago will be back. I think if Alves can get it together he can be a threat to GSP and by no means a push over. I think by the next time these two meet in the octagon it will be a different and more diverse Thiago Alves.

Post #8   7/19/09 5:30:50AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,376-760
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
First it was the weight cut from his trainers and now its his timing? Why cant some guys just be honest and say I lost to the better fighter and let it go at that. But making excuses is just plan sad. Plus saying I know I can beat a guy who just beat me 5 out of 5 rounds 3 of which he had a pulled muscle sounds a little crazy to me. But if he feels that was the cause then so be it but if my coach wasn't around to train me for a fight this big I would have found a new MT coach. Which still lays the blame on him and no one else.

Post #9   7/19/09 5:31:07AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,701-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by telnights

First it was the weight cut from his trainers and now its his timing? Why cant some guys just be honest and say I lost to the better fighter and let it go at that. But making excuses is just plan sad. Plus saying I know I can beat a guy who just beat me 5 out of 5 rounds 3 of which he had a pulled muscle sounds a little crazy to me. But if he feels that was the cause then so be it but if my coach wasn't around to train me for a fight this big I would have found a new MT coach. Which still lays the blame on him and no one else.

I dont know if Id ever admit anyone was a better fighter, player, athlete. You dont really find many guys saying that in sports or competition. Maybe he could say he was the better fighter on that particular night.

Post #10   7/19/09 7:29:59AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
His timing was definately off, he should try fighting GSP when he's not expecting it, fighting him once he knows you're going to fight him seems to be bad timing to me.

No offence to Alves, he showed alot of heart and class in that fight but GSP dominated and even dropped him. Even with the groin pull Alves couldn't mount much offence.

Post #11   7/19/09 7:50:06AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
The problem with a lot of these interviews is that when they are presented they are presented in such a way as they look like excuses. However, what does a fighter say when he's being interviewed and asked the question: WHY do you think you lost? Are they all supposed to look like a dumb shit and say: he was better than me. ??

That's why I don't get up in arms about "excuses". As long as it deals with their own shortcomings, rather than play down the other guy's abilities, I am ok with it.

Last edited 7/19/09 9:31AM server time by Rush

Post #12   7/19/09 8:02:03AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
everyone keeps saying stuff about gsps pulled groin. I dont think that really made a differance in the fight with all that adrenaline built up u dont feel injuries like that. i didnt see a major difference between when he pulled his groin in the 3rd to the 4th and 5th rds maybe a little bit but i dont think his injury hindered him as much as people think it did.

Post #13   7/19/09 8:23:10AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
here come the excuses!!!!!!!!!

Post #14   7/19/09 9:24:45AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by mshalosky

everyone keeps saying stuff about gsps pulled groin. I dont think that really made a differance in the fight with all that adrenaline built up u dont feel injuries like that. i didnt see a major difference between when he pulled his groin in the 3rd to the 4th and 5th rds maybe a little bit but i dont think his injury hindered him as much as people think it did.

from someone who has pulled his groin in the middle of a grappling match, i can tell you it is extremely painful no matter how much adrenaline you have...especially if you have to sit in your corner for the minute break in between and feel it even more.

Post #15   7/19/09 9:57:31AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2