Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Brock Lesnar backlash following UFC 100 antics brims with double standards

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
There have been 61 fighters in UFC history who were pro wrestlers at one point or another. There are nine on the current UFC roster. Of the six fighters in the UFC Hall of Fame, three – Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Mark Coleman – dabbled in wrestling.

Link

I somewhat agree with this.

Last edited 7/19/09 12:58PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: Posted whole Article
4 total post edits

Post #1   7/18/09 12:07:19PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Good article. I read some and skimmed the rest, but I thought it was good based on what I read.

One thing I didn' t agree with was the comparison to Ken, Mark and Dan. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think all those guys dabbled in pro wrestling after they were in the UFC (pretty sure about Ken and Dan, but less so of Mark). That reason alone is probably why they didn't get flak over it.

Post #2   7/18/09 12:49:21PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Didnt read the entire article, I just woke up, my eyes cant handle it just yet. But I just wanted to say that as far as I was aware, nobody ever came out and said "oh, that Brock lesnar, I hate him so much for being a pro wrestler!!!". I think the hatred comes from the fact he totally didnt deserve a title shot so soon, and is completely disrespectful to his opponents.

Post #3   7/18/09 2:05:44PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Didnt read the entire article, I just woke up, my eyes cant handle it just yet. But I just wanted to say that as far as I was aware, nobody ever came out and said "oh, that Brock lesnar, I hate him so much for being a pro wrestler!!!". I think the hatred comes from the fact he totally didnt deserve a title shot so soon, and is completely disrespectful to his opponents.

100% agree'd. Sakuraba, hell even Josh does alot of pro wrestling. It's not the pro wrestling, it's the title shot and how he is.

Post #4   7/18/09 2:16:58PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aaronno9

100% agree'd. Sakuraba, hell even Josh does alot of pro wrestling. It's not the pro wrestling, it's the title shot and how he is.

I agree that some people don't like him because he got a quick title shot, but the hatred began LONG BEFORE that day ever occurred. What I don't get though is why people hate Brock for taking an opportunity that anyone in their right mind would take. If you want to blame anyone, blame the UFC for offering the title shot to begin with.

Post #5   7/18/09 2:24:28PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aaronno9

I agree that some people don't like him because he got a quick title shot, but the hatred began LONG BEFORE that day ever occurred. What I don't get though is why people hate Brock for taking an opportunity that anyone in their right mind would take. If you want to blame anyone, blame the UFC for offering the title shot to begin with.

I got to agree.

To me,it seems like their were quiet a few people that were going to ride Brock off simply because he had a WWE backround.
Though I will say this too, I don't think any of the educated fans were responsible for this.(or at least not many)
I think their are a lot of fans that came in around the time of TUF,and to them seeing a pro-wrestler turn into an MMA fighter was probably a new concept to them.
Us fans that had been their long before had seen this type of thing before.

Post #6   7/18/09 2:29:48PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Aaronno9

I agree with grappler.. And so far Brock has proved he belongs where he is every step of the way.. I was happy to see Brock win.. I am also a fan of Mir and would not have been upset if he won either.. but for Brock it goes to show he does belong there.. while it may not have been the most exciting fight.. Brock imposed his will on a guy with better striking and better jits but Brock played the game his way and Mir could do nothing baout it.

WAR BROCK!!!!

WAR MIR !!!! (I hope for a rubber match since they are 1 and 1)

Post #7   7/18/09 2:37:32PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

I think the hatred comes from the fact he totally didnt deserve a title shot so soon, and is completely disrespectful to his opponents

he was booed from his first fight. before he ever got a title shot or had an opportunity to be disrespectful to anyone.

about him being disrespectful. of his 3 ufc opponents, Mir and Herring both talked alot of trash before the fight. both made comments about "faking it" and how the ufc is "fighting for real" etc. after the fights lesnar gave it back.

when he lost to Mir, imo, he lost gracefully.

when he beat Couture he was respectful (as far as i remember)

Post #8   7/18/09 2:57:27PM   

sexynick

Learning to Sprawl

Career:94-81
Camp: LQ Baby
Chips:
he claimed that he didnt have any respect for anyone of his opponents, even randy thats abit harsh considering the man made the sport what it is today, also he claimed he wanted to "kill" mazagatti after the 1st mir fight, i dont see why he shouldnt be booed for being a sore loseing jock.

Post #9   7/18/09 3:13:12PM   

bigox420

MMA Regular

bigox420 Avatar

Career:1,065-795
Chips:

Posted by sexynick

he claimed that he didnt have any respect for anyone of his opponents, even randy thats abit harsh considering the man made the sport what it is today, also he claimed he wanted to "kill" mazagatti after the 1st mir fight, i dont see why he shouldnt be booed for being a sore loseing jock.

I think he was talking about going in to the fight. He does not respect them.

Good read I think he only flipped off the crowd because they were boooing him.

Post #10   7/18/09 3:31:19PM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:
I'll say this, my $.02.

I didn't dislike Brock Lesnar because he came from WWE. I don't care if he was a fake wrestler or not. Its not like he's the Undertaker or anything, he's a legit athlete. Did he buff up on roids? I don't know. Very few people really know if Brock has ever used steroids. Its not like being a stoner where you flaunt it wherever you go. To be honest, I don't know why I disliked him. I just know that as soon as UFC signed him I got a bad taste in my mouth. I UTube'd him. Wow. Tons of clips of him being an ass in WWE, tons of videos of his hunting show, videos about his BBQ Sauce, and just a few actual MMA videos. HE ALWAYS came across as an ass to me. Every time he speaks something ridiculous comes out of his mouth. I guess, when choosing to like a fighter, its not just skill I look at. My friends are good people, and so are the fighters I like.

Does that mean he shouldn't be there. No. He proved he should be there.

And Yes, I think the Hendo situation was probably worse just because of what he said.

I don't like Brock. Never did since first time I learned about him. UFC 100 made the dislike a little stronger yes, but it was already there. If he likes getting boos from the crowd as he says he does, he has certainly came to the right place. Dana is probably right in thinking the entertainment factor will sell tickets. However, professionalism is what earns guys respect. If Brock wants respect, he has to earn it.

I ramble.

Post #11   7/18/09 3:41:36PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Grappler is right as far as I'm concerned. I think the guy isn't going to get a break from anyone, so why ask for one. Keep on truckin Brock!

Post #12   7/18/09 3:49:09PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
The point I made was really only covering actual fans of the sport. I know the majority of posters on this site are educated fans, and I dont recall seeing any posts on here about how Brock sucks becouse hes a pro wrestler.

Look at Bobby Lashley, also straight out of pro wrestling, and again and I dont see any negative posts about him for it. If hed walked into a title shot and openly said "I dont respect any of my opponents", which includes Randy, then he might get more of a negative response.

If people are really hating on Brock becouse of his wrestling past, its just silly, imo.

Post #13   7/18/09 4:05:55PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Brock Lesnar a "bad guy" in pro wrestling for years ?

And aren't there quite a few casual fans who are also fans of pro wrestling ?

So why do they have to 'hate him because he's a pro wrestler' transitioning to MMA, and not because for years he tried his best to BE the "bad guy" and get people to hate him, which they still do ?

As for more educated fans; I've yet to hear one that dislikes him just because he was a pro wrestler.

But yes, his comment post-UFC-100 regarding the UFC's major sponsor deserved a "This isn't the WWE Brock", just as Dana White delivered.

Last edited 7/18/09 4:16PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #14   7/18/09 4:12:38PM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

But yes, his comment post-UFC-100 regarding the UFC's major sponsor deserved a "This isn't the WWE Brock", just as Dana White delivered.

We all assumed that message was delivered. Only those in that room really know what was said. I part of me thinks Dana was loving it all.

Post #15   7/18/09 5:02:51PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2