Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jake Shields calls out Cung Le, Frank Shamrock

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:

Jake Shields (23-4-1) is considered to be one of the top welterweights in the world, however that may end soon as the former EliteXC Welterweight Champion may be moving up to middleweight. As we reported last month, Strikeforce is expected to introduce an interim middleweight championship as the current champion, Cung Le, is busy with his movie career, and Shields is expected to be in the title mix. Shields recently spoke with Rod Moyer of FightLine.com on a variety of topics including Cung Le, his friendship with Nick Diaz, his rivalry with Frank Shamrock and much more....

LINK

What do you guys think of this? I think Jake Shields would do pretty good at middleweight. I am a fan of Jake Shields and he has 2 fights left on his contract with Strikeforce. I think if he wins both those fights, wins the middleweight title, UFC should definetely try and sign him.

Post #1   7/17/09 6:18:25PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
The fights I have seen of Jake have not really impressed me. I get the sense that he would be killed if he came to the UFC. If he wants to be considered a top fighter he needs to be fighting guys in the top org(s), not Frank Shamrock or Cung.

Post #2   7/17/09 6:29:04PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Fight Shamrock first. Get though him and then take on Le. I think Le could literally kick the crap out of Jake Shields though. Shields stand-up is not that great and Le is not easily taken down nor kept on the mat. If Shields pulls guard, Le will not engage him but opt for a stand-up.
For Le: if you want to fight, do so. If you want to act, do so. Don't hold up a belt because you want to test the waters in Hollywood. Vacate the belt and if you feel the urge to come back, earn it back, and take what is yours.

-OUT-

Post #3   7/17/09 6:29:30PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Shields could beat both of them.

Post #4   7/17/09 7:39:25PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Pretty easy to call someone out when you know you're not going to have to fight Cung until he is done being an actor. As Rush said I haven't been very impressed with Sheilds for all his fan-fare. I felt he struggled with Semtex who he was supposed to beat fairly easily as Paul doesn't really have a ground game to speak of. Sheilds is good, but not great and wouldn't do very well in the UFC in my opinion.

Post #5   7/17/09 7:42:40PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He has 2 fights left on his contract, and he just beat Robbie Lawler.

Who else is he supposed to call out before he even CAN test the UFC waters ?

You gotta realize he has to fulfill those 2 fights with Strikeforce's roster before he can call out a UFC fighter and/or fight there.

Post #6   7/17/09 7:55:42PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I'm just curious as to who is going to fight Jake for the interim belt...he just took out the top contender...and his "friend" just took out the other two top guys in the strikeforce MW division...am I missing someone?

Post #7   7/17/09 8:16:48PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Shields should want to fight more top fighters if he really wants to prove he is one of the best. Shamrock probably only has a fight or two left in him and Le thinks he's friggin' Jet Li.

Post #8   7/17/09 8:26:37PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by fizzle

Pretty easy to call someone out when you know you're not going to have to fight Cung until he is done being an actor. As Rush said I haven't been very impressed with Sheilds for all his fan-fare. I felt he struggled with Semtex who he was supposed to beat fairly easily as Paul doesn't really have a ground game to speak of. Sheilds is good, but not great and wouldn't do very well in the UFC in my opinion.

Props for reminding me about the semtex fight. That was the one that sealed it for me.

Post #9   7/17/09 9:49:21PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Jake Shields would do great in any organization. He's already beaten Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit. That's two top guys in the UFC right there.

I have zero interest in seeing him fight Cung Le. Striker vs grappler almost always translates into a boring bout. I'm not saying you should avoid making those kind of bouts, particularly if both guys are at the top of the division--but for pure entertainment value it wouldn't be my first choice.

Post #10   7/17/09 10:25:35PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

The fights I have seen of Jake have not really impressed me. I get the sense that he would be killed if he came to the UFC. If he wants to be considered a top fighter he needs to be fighting guys in the top org(s), not Frank Shamrock or Cung.

i agree i havent found him all that impressive either. his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

he is very quick to capitalize on a mistake though, which is a great instinct to have. i think the ufc would have signed him already had he not been caught up in the elitexc contract deals.

Post #11   7/18/09 2:01:22AM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,501-1,367
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke
his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

... Really?

Post #12   7/18/09 3:40:26AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
strikeforce has no challengers for jake, and jake knows that,
he will fight two more times than bolt to the ufc if he wants to challenge himself
might get instant title shot
i do think he will fight for title next maybe against a smokin joe or cung le

Post #13   7/18/09 12:04:42PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Jake Shields would do great in any organization. He's already beaten Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit. That's two top guys in the UFC right there.

I have zero interest in seeing him fight Cung Le. Striker vs grappler almost always translates into a boring bout. I'm not saying you should avoid making those kind of bouts, particularly if both guys are at the top of the division--but for pure entertainment value it wouldn't be my first choice.

Did you see the Okami fight? Yushin was robbed.

Post #14   7/18/09 1:43:10PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

i agree i havent found him all that impressive either. his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

he is very quick to capitalize on a mistake though, which is a great instinct to have. i think the ufc would have signed him already had he not been caught up in the elitexc contract deals.

they did try to sign him.. just were not able to... My instructor is one of Jakes Students..

Sadly thoguh jake never uses his stand up.. to see him train and such and then watch him fight it is alsmot like two different people.. he uses his stand mainly to get the fight to the ground.. he may have more trouble in the UFC doing that.. but once it is on the ground others even in the UFC will have a hard time with him..

Post #15   7/18/09 2:53:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2