Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White explains Cro Cop situation

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
After his first round stoppage of Mustapha Al Turk, Mirko Cro Cop was rumored to be departing the UFC for the Japanese based Dream Promotion. Upon hearing the news, UFC President Dana White exploded on the 2006 Pride Grand Prix Champion.

“Isn’t that a dirty (expletive) thing to do?” White said. “He (expletive) me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he (expletive) me.”

STORY

Post #1   7/17/09 11:34:17AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Dana, is it tough to say " Yanno as usual, I overreacted and put my foot in my mouth before I got all the info"

Post #2   7/17/09 11:46:07AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Dana, is it tough to say " Yanno as usual, I overreacted and put my foot in my mouth before I got all the info"

Do YOU know all the info? I wouldn't be so quick to blame Dana, if you don't.

Post #3   7/17/09 11:49:57AM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone. Dana flying off the handle isnt something new

Post #4   7/17/09 11:57:28AM   

Menard_StC

MMA Regular

Menard_StC Avatar

Career:1,052-623
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Well.... Dana did go on a tirade about CC F%cking him over and how dirty it was... just because he heard a rumor from Japan that turned out to be false.

Post #5   7/17/09 12:16:01PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
he over reacted like always not bad got cro cop might sign tito back good week

Post #6   7/17/09 1:03:11PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone.

Nope. That's precisely my point.

Post #7   7/17/09 1:04:57PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone.

Im going by what ive read, what Dana has specifically said about this

Post #8   7/17/09 1:11:18PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Do you...does anyone.

I do, and for like 2 weeks no one knew what was goind on. No one knew why Dream released info, or why dana flew off the handle. Cro Cop never signed paper contracts with the Japanese so them saying he signed meant he was listening to their offers. The problem with the UFC's was Cro Cop wanted 3 fights this year, and they didn't want to give him 3. Now as you can tell by them pulling Dos Santo's they gave him what he wanted.

Post #9   7/17/09 2:15:55PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
This is why I'm always critical of Dana White's overreactions. I don't see how any one can defend him here. We all saw the comments he made, and if he didn't screw up he wouldn't have needed to back track when Crocop called him on the phone. We all know he's known for these things.

Now, granted.. this isn't the full story, and I concede that point. I love what Dana White has done for the sport, so I'm not trashing him. I'm just saying- we all know how Dana is known to act in these situations. It's not like this is new. I just try not to let my like or dislike for a particular person affect my ability to call a spade a spade.

If you're wondering why I'm so busy trying to call out Dana White on this issue. Go back and read all the things people said about Cro Cop when this deal went down. Oh, how quick they were to criticize him, and now they're defending Dana White? Again- this is people allowing their like and/or dislike for a person to dictate how they handle a situation. Instead of looking at the facts. As I said from the beginning about this situation- A fighter considers himself a business, and the UFC considers themselves a business. They should act professionally and pursue their business relationships accordingly. Snide comments like Dana made are unnecessary in these situations.

Post #10   7/17/09 3:55:02PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

This is why I'm always critical of Dana White's overreactions. I don't see how any one can defend him here. We all saw the comments he made, and if he didn't screw up he wouldn't have needed to back track when Crocop called him on the phone. We all know he's known for these things.

Now, granted.. this isn't the full story, and I concede that point. I love what Dana White has done for the sport, so I'm not trashing him. I'm just saying- we all know how Dana is known to act in these situations. It's not like this is new. I just try not to let my like or dislike for a particular person affect my ability to call a spade a spade.

If you're wondering why I'm so busy trying to call out Dana White on this issue. Go back and read all the things people said about Cro Cop when this deal went down. Oh, how quick they were to criticize him, and now they're defending Dana White? Again- this is people allowing their like and/or dislike for a person to dictate how they handle a situation. Instead of looking at the facts. As I said from the beginning about this situation- A fighter considers himself a business, and the UFC considers themselves a business. They should act professionally and pursue their business relationships accordingly. Snide comments like Dana made are unnecessary in these situations.

I'm certainly NOT defending Dana here. However, I still stand by my statement that NO ONE here knows the facts so NO ONE here can honestly say who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Sure, Dana's been known to over-react and/or blow up prematurely. We all know that. But at the same time, we do not know ALL the facts so to say he's solely to blame for the outburst is just not fair.

Of course, this is all my opinion, too. Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe.

Post #11   7/17/09 4:09:54PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

I'm certainly NOT defending Dana here. However, I still stand by my statement that NO ONE here knows the facts so NO ONE here can honestly say who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Sure, Dana's been known to over-react and/or blow up prematurely. We all know that. But at the same time, we do not know ALL the facts so to say he's solely to blame for the outburst is just not fair.

Of course, this is all my opinion, too. Everyone has the right to believe what they want to believe.

Do we ever really know all the facts of most of Dana's outbursts. Cro Cop wasnt the one who launched into a overreacting tirade, Dana did.

Post #12   7/17/09 4:17:15PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Do we ever really know all the facts of most of Dana's outbursts. Cro Cop wasnt the one who launched into a overreacting tirade, Dana did.

Question...had the Cro Cop rumors been true, would you think otherwise about the statements Dana made? At the time, he thought he had been lied to and manipulated. I can't fault someone for blowing up like he did. If I feel my trust has been violated, I'm one pissed off MF'er, personally.

Hmmm...maybe I *am* defending him in a sense. I guess I just don't let the things he says get under my skin or change my opinion about him. I personally like the guy's personality and the way he doesn't candycoat his statements through his PR rep.

Post #13   7/17/09 4:26:46PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Shawn91111

Question...had the Cro Cop rumors been true, would you think otherwise about the statements Dana made? At the time, he thought he had been lied to and manipulated. I can't fault someone for blowing up like he did. If I feel my trust has been violated, I'm one pissed off MF'er, personally.

Hmmm...maybe I *am* defending him in a sense. I guess I just don't let the things he says get under my skin or change my opinion about him. I personally like the guy's personality and the way he doesn't candycoat his statements through his PR rep.

Who's skin is he getting under? You're blowing this up into something more than it is. I said he overreacted as he usually does, you even said he overreacts in a previous post.

Post #14   7/17/09 4:31:21PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Who's skin is he getting under? You're blowing this up into something more than it is. I said he overreacted as he usually does, you even said he overreacts in a previous post.

I know exactly what I said and I never said that he was getting under YOUR skin. If you read just about ANY thread about Dana White in these forums, it's usually about 50/50 in terms of nuthugging comments and "Dana needs to shut up!" or "Dana needs to stop cussing so much" comments.

Post #15   7/17/09 4:36:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2