Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

SHOGUN SAYS PATIENCE IS KEY TO BEATING MACHIDA

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua hopes to turn light heavyweight champ Lyoto Machida’s greatest attribute – timing – against him when the two square off at UFC 104 in October.

It’s the first 25-minute fight in Rua’s career, five minutes longer than his battles in the days of Pride. But that’s not a bad thing.

“I get very happy with that, because when you get to the first five-rounder of your career, it means you’re fighting for the belt,” he told MMAWeekly.com backstage at UFC 100. “I take it as a great thing. I always wanted to train for five rounds.”

STORY

Post #1   7/17/09 8:24:26AM   

KUTTER

BANNED

Career:7-2
Chips:
Like hes warning us it may be a boring fight, jk. Hes got a point though, and Ive always liked Shogun. Hes got good chance, but still a underdog imo

Post #2   7/17/09 8:54:26AM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
I'm still shocked that Shogun got a title shot after such a short run with 2 wins 1 of which was a less than impressive win over a almost dead Coleman. The Lidell fight he looked alot better, but did not earn a shot IMO. Any way I think Machida is going to become more agressive as time goes on his confidance builds and he will have too much for Shogun to handle.

Post #3   7/17/09 9:42:27AM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by KUTTER

Like hes warning us it may be a boring fight, jk. Hes got a point though, and Ive always liked Shogun. Hes got good chance, but still a underdog imo

Everyone forgets the first round vs Rashad wasn't the most exciting until he got the one punch in. I think Shogun will take his time here and Machida always does anyway. I expect less kicks from Shogun because thats when Machida likes to attack with a straight. Not really sure what Shogun will do but if i was him i would be looking to clinch Machida and take him down...Shoguns takedowns are underrated imo.

Post #4   7/17/09 9:53:45AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

I'm still shocked that Shogun got a title shot after such a short run with 2 wins 1 of which was a less than impressive win over a almost dead Coleman. The Lidell fight he looked alot better, but did not earn a shot IMO. Any way I think Machida is going to become more agressive as time goes on his confidance builds and he will have too much for Shogun to handle.

Well i dont think machida wanted to wait like 7 months for rampage. And chuck,forrest,rashad, wanderlei, jardine all the tops names have lost. And shogun has a proven record and a big name. plus if brock can get a title shot after going 1 and 1 in the ufc i think shogun deserves it and will be a tough test to machida plus everyone that beats chuck gets a title shot. its hard to figur out the lhw division when the title keeps changing hands so why not throw shogun in there and see what happens. machida will probably ko him 3rd rd.

Post #5   7/17/09 10:30:03AM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
if this is shogun's strategy, he perfectly plays into machida's game. and it definitely takes years of just training that to get somewhere close to him in that area. i think the only way to beat machida is clinch work, takedowns from there and maybe on the ground, where we haven't seen much from machida. he's a bjj black belt, so this is also just a guess anyway.. trying to beat him where he is the strongest is just not a good idea.

Post #6   7/17/09 11:07:30AM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
Doesn't sound that great of a gameplan for Shogun. I'm hoping Shogun can pull of a victory. I agree with everyone else I think the best way to beat Machida is to take him to the ground, I haven't seen much of him on the ground so it's worth a shot.

Post #7   7/17/09 12:34:21PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
WWOOOOO SHOGUN IS GOING TO BE BORING!

WAR MACHIDA!

Post #8   7/17/09 1:15:21PM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,629-1,150
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
Tito couldnt take him down, i dont think shogun will be able to either. prepare for a long five rounds of dancing with the stars. Machida wins Unanimous decision IMO.

Post #9   7/17/09 2:02:22PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

I'm still shocked that Shogun got a title shot after such a short run with 2 wins 1 of which was a less than impressive win over a almost dead Coleman. The Lidell fight he looked alot better, but did not earn a shot IMO.

at that moment there was nobody else. everyone who would deserve a shot was injured or commited to another fight or TUF. i think Shogun is a worthy opponent ,based on his past at least, but i still have serious doubts about his gas tank.

will be an interesting if not exciting fight.

Post #10   7/17/09 4:07:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by scpd400

Tito couldnt take him down, i dont think shogun will be able to either. prepare for a long five rounds of dancing with the stars. Machida wins Unanimous decision IMO.

Tito couldn' t take Chuck down (and/or keep him down) and Shogun did that with ease.

Shogun is probably the most well rounded fighter Machida has faced. It'll be a good test for both fighters. I don't think the fight will be boring.

Post #11   7/17/09 6:21:03PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Shogun hasn't got a shot in this one guys. I don't know how he got the shot, but he's going to take a beating from Machida.

Post #12   7/18/09 1:39:02AM