Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

BOBBY LASHLEY: "My sights are set on Brock Lesnar."

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“I’m not going to say anything bad on Brock, because Brock is doing all the right things, [but] my sights are set on Brock. I’m not saying I want to fight him because he’s ‘the wrestling guy.’ I’m saying it because I am a heavyweight fighter and he’s the champ.”

STORY

Post #1   7/16/09 2:10:35PM   

KUTTER

BANNED

Career:7-2
Chips:
Id LOVE to see this fight.. But by time Lashley in UFC he probably have to redirect his "sights" being, I dont see brock still holding belt

Post #2   7/16/09 2:27:35PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by KUTTER

Id LOVE to see this fight.. But by time Lashley in UFC he probably have to redirect his "sights" being, I dont see brock still holding belt

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm betting Lashley is in the UFC within the next 6 months.

Post #3   7/16/09 2:31:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Lashley is a good example of a lot of the real reasons why people dislike Lesnar.

Here you have a guy who is coming up through the ranks, putting in his time and effort, and being humble in the process. Something Lesnar wasn't exactly known for. People put too much emphasis on the WWE stigma, IMO. Lashley is from the WWE, but you don't see people saying the things about him that they've said about Lesnar. It is about paying your dues and giving respect. Something Lesnar has not done, no matter what way you cut it.

Now, in saying that I'm not bashing Lesnar, I'm just pointing out facts. I think at this point we can say that Lesnar has more than proved he belongs in the UFC, but to all the people that think people hate Lesnar just because he's "from the WWE" those are some facts you may want to consider. Pay your dues, be humble, fight hard, and you will earn the fans' respect. WWE has nothing to deal with it in a lot of cases.

Post #4   7/16/09 2:36:51PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Lashley is a good example of a lot of the real reasons why people dislike Lesnar.

Here you have a guy who is coming up through the ranks, putting in his time and effort, and being humble in the process. Something Lesnar wasn't exactly known for. People put too much emphasis on the WWE stigma, IMO. Lashley is from the WWE, but you don't see people saying the things about him that they've said about Lesnar. It is about paying your dues and giving respect. Something Lesnar has not done, no matter what way you cut it.

Now, in saying that I'm not bashing Lesnar, I'm just pointing out facts. I think at this point we can say that Lesnar has more than proved he belongs in the UFC, but to all the people that think people hate Lesnar just because he's "from the WWE" those are some facts you may want to consider. Pay your dues, be humble, fight hard, and you will earn the fans' respect. WWE has nothing to deal with it in a lot of cases.

I agree to an extent. I think that what you are saying about Lesnar applies to fans on the fence regarding whether or not they like him. However, based on my observations there is a large core of Lesnar haters that will not like him regardless of his demeanor and/or success.

That being said, and I don't know anything about WWE, Brock could also have gotten extra flak based on what people thought of him as a professional wrestler. I'm sure if you had two ex-pro wrestlers transition to MMA, one was a jerk in wrestling and one was generally well liked, despite some/all of it being an act in wrestling, I am sure fans would generally accept the well liked guy over the other. This can then lead to "the less liked" fighter becoming defensive and/or hostile towards other MMA fighters and/or fans.

Post #5   7/16/09 2:50:12PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by KUTTER

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I'm betting Lashley is in the UFC within the next 6 months.

Given the success of Lesnar, I would say you are probably spot on.

Post #6   7/16/09 2:51:01PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
I don't know if Lashley was a good guy or a bad guy in WWE. I honestly know nothing about either of these guys' WWE careers.

If you read my post you'll see that I chose my words carefully when addressing people who think that way about Lesnar. I used phrases like "in a lot of cases".

What I'm getting at is that I do agree and have agreed with your assessment, Rush. There are definitely going to be folks who don't like Lesnar just because he's from the WWE, but as far as hard core fans go, I actually think they are the minority compared to the groups who feel the way I described above.

I just generally tend to see on Lesnar threads three groups-

1) The group that says he's from the WWE so he's a jackass

2) The group that defends him regardless of the points being brought up by saying "You just don't like him cuz he was in the WWE

3) Rational folks

Post #7   7/16/09 3:00:01PM   

KUTTER

BANNED

Career:7-2
Chips:
I agree on the 6 months. But there seems to be sooooo much going on in HW right now already. Id hope White doesnt do the division dirty again and just throw lashley into title shot. I mean you got Nog/Randy, Dos Santos, Carwin,Cain,Mirko suppose be back in mix and now Dana seems to be dropping Fedors name..Someone bound to knock Brock of that pedastal .Not taking anything from Brock, I dont care for his character at all but def respect his athletisism.Just he has alot of room to grow,and thats a whole lotta proven talent already getting in line.

Last edited 7/16/09 3:02PM server time by kutter
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   7/16/09 3:02:00PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by KUTTER

I understand if you are talking about Fedor, but who else is going to beat Lesnar!? I love Randy and Nog but I cannot see them having the strength to start any sort of game plan and Carwin and Cain are not tested enough to have an effective game plan against him. If Fedor is not in the UFC Lesnar will be the champ for a long time!

as far as comparing Lesnar and Lashley

Lesnar had an easier trip because to the UFC because he was a dominant NCAA wrestler unlike Lashley and had already anhilated Hong ManChoi. Lashley will not make it to the UFC, beating Bob Sapp is not that big of a deal, heck Jan Nortje did it faster than Lashley. I think he is a glorified Gary Goodridge and will not make it past decent fighters, everyone in Affliction would take him out including a few guys on this season of TUF.

Post #9   7/16/09 3:03:51PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
LOL, check your facts.. Lashley has a very decorated wrestling career before WWE

Post #10   7/16/09 3:05:05PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

LOL, check your facts.. Lashley has a very decorated wrestling career before WWE

less than Lesnar

Post #11   7/16/09 3:05:49PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
True, but Lashley is I believe a 3X NAIA champion. Which is really nothing to scoff at. It's not the equivalent of being a 3X NCAA champion, but it is very impressive nonetheless. Personally, I would go so far as to say that I think Lashley's wrestling would match up quite well against Lesnar's. Although I'm positive Lesnar is a bit bigger and stronger than Lashley

Post #12   7/16/09 3:10:28PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

3) Rational folks

You're talking to a guy that believes these people are a vast minority.

Post #13   7/16/09 3:12:46PM   

marcus1

Learning to Sprawl

Career:137-112
Chips:
Fight Network is reporting the deal is done. It also states that he will not be full time on the roster so he can continue mma. What a shame and waste of talent.

Post #14   7/16/09 3:16:22PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by marcus1

Fight Network is reporting the deal is done. It also states that he will not be full time on the roster so he can continue mma. What a shame and waste of talent.

Post #15   7/16/09 3:24:10PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3