Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Melvin Manhoef in the UFC...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
...how do you think he'd do? I'd LOVE to see him in the UFC, personally.

Post #1   7/16/09 9:38:37AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
About what he does now in MMA-you either take him down and/or submit him early or get brutally knocked out or, if you're very unlucky, decapitated. I'd liken him to a bigger Anthony Johnson or a smaller CC-he's a striker, a striker, and a striker. Only 1 of his wins is not by KO/TKO (decision).

Post #2   7/16/09 9:42:16AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Yeah, he's pretty much like a Melvin Guillard of MW, lol

Post #3   7/16/09 9:47:14AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

About what he does now in MMA-you either take him down and/or submit him early or get brutally knocked out or, if you're very unlucky, decapitated. I'd liken him to a bigger Anthony Johnson or a smaller CC-he's a striker, a striker, and a striker. Only 1 of his wins is not by KO/TKO (decision).

Exactly. Exciting strikers are always welcome in the UFC. I'm wondering why (to my knowledge, anyways) his name has never been mentioned as a possible UFC recruit.

Post #4   7/16/09 9:47:52AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
My guess is because he's maybe still under contract in Japan or at least to K-1, he still does kickboxing in addition to MMA.

Post #5   7/16/09 9:52:29AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Chips:
I think hed beat alot of fighters in the ufc who have good ground game but not the takedowns to get thefight there - (Wilson Gouveia, MIchael Bisping, & Kendall Grove, Jason Macdonald, Dean Lister, etc...)
He'd beat practically all the strikers - (Drew Mcfedries, Chris Leben, Quarry, Cote, Sakara, Wanderlei, Belcher, etc...) although there is a punchers chance for all of them, except maybe sakara.
The powerhouse wrestlers could do very well against him, and some would get stopped before they could get it to the ground i think he does 50/50 against the wrestlers - (Dan Henderson, Yushin Okami, Chael Sonnen, Denis Kang, Ed Herman, Rosholt, etc...)
The guys who would give him the most problems are the aggressive submission guys with good takedowns hed go about 20/80 against these guys. - (Thales Lietes, Rousimar Palhares, Ricardo Almeida, Demian Maia, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Dan Miller, etc...)

Id think the Ufc would start him off against a striker or 2 before they gave him someone who he just couldnt handle like Rousimar and i think he gets stuck just outside the title picture.

Post #6   7/16/09 10:11:49AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

he still does kickboxing in addition to MMA.

Yeah, Dana White would never allow him to compete in kick-boxing competitions in addition to the UFC.

Post #7   7/16/09 10:19:04AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
With the right matchups he could dominate--assuming he's matched up with strikers like Cote, McFedries, Leben, Quarry etc. The majority of the division consists mostly of BJJ guys though with pretty good takedowns though--so he would probably struggle if he's put into the classical striker vs grappler matchups.

Supposedly he makes a ton of money in Japan, so it's unlikely he'll ever end up in the UFC.

Post #8   7/16/09 10:55:40AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
From a striking point of view,he would be one of,if not the most dangerous in the division.
But your striking game can be quickly negated if the guy your facing has got even mediocre wrestling/grappling skills.

I think Melvin would have the potential to be a top 5 in the UFC for sure.
His striking is good enough to take out anyone.but he would first have to seriously dedicate and formulate a defensive ground game.
His ground game as of now, is sub-par at best.
If he dedicated time to fine tweaking it,he could potentialy run through the MW division,imo.

Post #9   7/16/09 11:18:08AM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
I would love to see this guy in the UFC. I think he would do pretty well and he is a very exciting striker who can KO you real easily.

Post #10   7/16/09 12:39:10PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,775-1,531
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Yoshihiro Akiyama already has a win over Manhoef and there is no way Manhoef would beat grapplers like Palhares, Henderson, and Okami.

Post #11   7/16/09 2:48:29PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

Yoshihiro Akiyama already has a win over Manhoef and there is no way Manhoef would beat grapplers like Palhares, Henderson, and Okami.

However, the MW division in the UFC is a strikers division right now (IMO) and I think he could compete. He may even get to the point of being in the top 5 if he could develop some solid takedown defense.

Post #12   7/16/09 2:54:11PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tepid55

The phrase, "...there is no way _____ can beat _____..." means jack in MMA.

It's all about marketing and matchups. If the UFC wants to market the guy, they'll give him favorable matchups until they can no longer do so (to determine contendership and/or fighting for titles).

Post #13   7/16/09 2:55:17PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I think hed beat alot of fighters in the ufc who have good ground game but not the takedowns to get thefight there - (Wilson Gouveia, MIchael Bisping, & Kendall Grove, Jason Macdonald, Dean Lister, etc...)
He'd beat practically all the strikers - (Drew Mcfedries, Chris Leben, Quarry, Cote, Sakara, Wanderlei, Belcher, etc...) although there is a punchers chance for all of them, except maybe sakara.
The powerhouse wrestlers could do very well against him, and some would get stopped before they could get it to the ground i think he does 50/50 against the wrestlers - (Dan Henderson, Yushin Okami, Chael Sonnen, Denis Kang, Ed Herman, Rosholt, etc...)
The guys who would give him the most problems are the aggressive submission guys with good takedowns hed go about 20/80 against these guys. - (Thales Lietes, Rousimar Palhares, Ricardo Almeida, Demian Maia, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Dan Miller, etc...)

Id think the Ufc would start him off against a striker or 2 before they gave him someone who he just couldnt handle like Rousimar and i think he gets stuck just outside the title picture.

i agree with everything you said except for one thing. Dan Henderson takes Melvin 8 times out of 10 imo.

Post #14   7/16/09 2:58:08PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Pookie

i agree with everything you said except for one thing. Dan Henderson takes Melvin 8 times out of 10 imo.

As long as Hendo doesn't try to strike like he seems to have fallen in love with lately. We are talking about a dude who KTFO'd Mark Hunt here. So if Hendo played that game, he may end up "touched"

Post #15   7/16/09 3:01:24PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2