Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

BONES JONES NOT HAPPY ABOUT UFC 100 STAND-UP

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jon “Bones” Jones certainly looked relaxed in the Octagon as he faced “Irish” Jake O’Brien at UFC 100, shuffling around the action like hero Muhammed Ali.

He stayed true to his unpredictable style, too, catching wrestler/boxer O’Brien off guard with a fake takedown attempt that turned into a spinning elbow, setting the fight’s end in motion.

STORY

Post #1   7/15/09 8:25:55AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
i wanna see bones vs vera that would be a great matchup.

Post #2   7/15/09 9:25:43AM   

originalconspiracy

Learning to Sprawl

originalconspiracy Avatar

Career:767-437
Chips:
with the attitude and dedication he has coupled with his age this kid has the potential to go far.

Post #3   7/15/09 10:22:54AM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
I think Jones did pretty good in that fight. He was calm, and relaxed. His unpredictable fighting style is fun to watch. I love that spinning back elbow. I think he has potential to do great things.

Post #4   7/15/09 12:39:28PM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,035-618
Chips:
I know it won't happen ay time soon, but I wanna see Bones and Bader match up.

Post #5   7/15/09 12:51:18PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Jones shouldn't be happy with his stand-up vs Irish. It looked terrible, plain and simple. He doesn't throw in combination- EVER. And looked like he was ready to fall over every time he threw a kick.

The only reason he looked so relaxed in that fight was because he know he could stay away from O'Brien's mediocre boxing with even minimal footwork. And he also knew that Jake wasn't about to tie up and risk a throw. So Jones didn't have to have the greatest hands to win that fight.

That being said, the feint takedown to spinning back-elbow was incredible. And his jab is very effective with that insane reach of his.

But it would have been nice to see him experiment with the striking game a little more then he did. That was some valuable cage time that he could have been using. All-in-all he still took home the W. And he's so young, there are bound to be consistant improvements each fight he enters. But I think he' be getting more out of his formative years with a legit striking coach in his corner.

Can't wait to see him again though.

Last edited 7/15/09 2:56PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   7/15/09 2:55:20PM