Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 103's Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender for GSP

Print  
Posted By Message

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,856-992
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
A UFC 103 welterweight bout between veterans Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender to challenge for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's championship belt.

During this past Saturday's, July 11, UFC 100 pay-per-view event, broadcaster Joe Rogan said he was informed by UFC Vice President of Fighter Relations Joe Silva that the Sept. 19 fight could be a No. 1 contender's bout.

Sources close to the fight have since confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the winner will be assured a title shot.

Article

Post #1   7/14/09 11:01:18PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I like Swick to tko kampmann.

To be honest with you, I really only see Swick and maybe Anthony Johnson being the only threat to take GSP's title. Mainly because they can be quick powerful strikers that can end a fight early.

Other than those two, I think GSP can beat the other contenders, Kampmann, Fitch again, Hazelett, Koscheck again, Alves again.

Post #2   7/14/09 11:07:33PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,856-992
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I like Swick to tko kampmann.

To be honest with you, I really only see Swick and maybe Anthony Johnson being the only threat to take GSP's title. Mainly because they can be quick powerful strikers that can end a fight early.

Other than those two, I think GSP can beat the other contenders, Kampmann, Fitch again, Hazelett, Koscheck again, Alves again.

I also like Swick over Kampmann, but honestly neither one of them stand a chance against GSP. Kampmann doesn't have the skill set to defeat GSP. Granted both Kampmann and Swick have knock out power, GSP fights the most consistent fights with an immaculate game plan. If Swick were to fight GSP he can't even rely on his wrestling. I just honestly have no idea who could even push GSP into a close fight. I'll still say Jon Fitch would make his best opponent. Yes, I remember the first fight lol.

Post #3   7/14/09 11:11:50PM   

saem-skin

BANNED

saem-skin Avatar

Career:14-15
Chips:
I think Kampmann takes it between him and Swick. I love Swick and wish him all the best but after watching Kampmann handle Condit the way he did....

My prediction is that Condit is going to be the next person in title contention after Kampmann. He's going to clear a swath of destruction in the WW division as soon as he works more on his wrestling.

Man is this division stacked. Every name you guys are listing here would make an amazing bout with any other.

Post #4   7/14/09 11:30:54PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
The WW division is starting to look like the MW division in the sense that the champions are so dominant that even the best of the rest look like they wouldn't stand a chance.

Post #5   7/14/09 11:40:29PM   

Irish_Pride

MMA Regular

Irish_Pride Avatar

Career:85-54
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
I'm going with Swick over Kampmann. After watching Swick handle Ben Saunders very easily. His quick, powerful punches will just be too much for Kampmann. But, honestly I don't think either of these guys could beat GSP. GSP will take these guys down at will and either slap a submission or ground and pound.

Post #6   7/14/09 11:48:36PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I like Swick over Kampmann in this fight. I like Swick's chances over GSP better than Kampmann's chances over GSP, too. If Swick would learn to lower his stance a bit and stop standing up straight when he comes in punching in bunches he may be able to do pretty well against GSP.

Post #7   7/15/09 12:02:35AM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,795-1,540
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Kampmann will win the fight, but I think Dustin Hazelett has the best chance at defeating GSP because of his improving standup and excelent BJJ skills.

Post #8   7/15/09 12:31:35AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
both guys deserve it, i like both of them
should be a great fight

Post #9   7/15/09 12:45:23AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Damn GSP for being so good.... Well I guess the division's cleaned out.

Gsp vs Silva for the MW title would be even bigger than Penn/ GSP or Hughes GSP 2.

Too bad Maia, Marquardt, and Hendo are filling 2 spots for the next title shots.

I think GSP Hendo is about as unlikely as it gets, but still a very big matchup if it happened for the shot at Silva afterMaia/Marquardt.

Oh well, too bad all we'll get is GSP fighting rematches and guys on a lower level and Silva dominating everyone but Maia.

Post #10   7/15/09 12:55:04AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If GSP/A. Silva were to happen, then it should only be a 3 round fight. GSP shouldnt get a MW title shot unless he takes a few fights at MW and earns a shot.

Post #11   7/15/09 1:47:57AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
swick probably wins this
the only people i actually see presenting a threat to gsp is
1. brock larson he is so big for ww and realy strong but idk if he can put a string of wins together to earn that shot.
2. nick diaz he has gotten much better sense leaving the ufc and has better jiu jitsu than gsp and with that huge reach he may have better striking and he has great cardio.
3. Fighters at higher weight classes

Post #12   7/15/09 9:41:43AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,656-890
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I like Mike Swick to win this fight.

But sadly, GSP will not face any challenges at 170. I see Swick getting roasted against GSP. He will get taken down at will, and his submission game isn't on par. He has quick and powerful hands, but its nothing that GSP hasn't seen before. I don't think he even comes close in terms of skill to Jon Fitch, who to date has been GSP's toughest task anyawys.

Kampmann has a pretty solid submission game, but I don't see him overpowering GSP, and I don't see him slapping on his guillotine/arm triangle either. I very much see a repeat of the Marquardt/Kampmann fight if they were to clash.

Regardless, I like Swick to beat Kampmann, then probably lose to RUSH by TKO strikes in round 2.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #13   7/15/09 1:19:54PM   

saem-skin

BANNED

saem-skin Avatar

Career:14-15
Chips:

Posted by mshalosky

2. nick diaz he has gotten much better sense leaving the ufc and has better jiu jitsu than gsp and with that huge reach he may have better striking and he has great cardio.

ooooh, there it is. I think Nick Diaz is the only one to challenge GSP if Kampmann or Condit can't do it.

Post #14   7/15/09 2:25:39PM