Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

MMAjunkie.com Radio Dan Henderson Punch was not intentional

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
This makes sense to me because I didn't really see Henderson pause between his KO punch and his GnP punch...he probably didn't even think about stopping because the ref hadn't stepped in.

Post #16   7/14/09 4:58:25PM   

punkgrl-com

Learning to Sprawl

Career:462-301
Camp: PunkGrl.com
Chips:
Even though I'm a big Bisping fan I have no problem with the second punch, like others have said you've got to keep fighting until the ref stops you and I trust Dan when he says he didn't know Bisping was out.

Having said that, when Dan made the joke about the second punch "shutting him up" while Bisping was still laid out cold I didn't think that was very cool. He lost some respect from me for doing that.

Post #17   7/14/09 5:32:59PM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
I seen more people complain about this fight than the Sokoudjou/Nortje fight.

This is a fight where the ref was trying to cover Jan from getting more punches, and Rameau was punching around the ref to actually hit him.

I think you guys are watching the Hendo/Bisping fight in slow-mo too much, thinking that's the actual speed it's going. Watch it on regular speed and tell me if Hendo had enough time to think between punches.

Post #18   7/14/09 5:35:33PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:

Posted by BarryScott

I'm not gona talk about Hendo any more because it'll become fighter bashing.

But plenty of other fighters have managed to pull away from landing extra punches once their opponent was out.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3 is Rashad vs. Liddell which you've all seen anyway!

What ever Rashad is the worst for getting in one or two more shots and had the ref not got there quick enough he would have hit Liddell more. I'm glad he landed one more shot and then said he did it. Bisping ran his mouth about Dan about the USA and the USA team that he need one more shot so to Dan

Post #19   7/14/09 6:15:27PM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Hendo has done this before - anyone remember the bomb he threw onto Wandys head after he'd ko'd him? I dont think its intentional to injure the guy after hes knocked him out, it seems more like a reactionary thing...call it killer instinct without the killing. Obviously something dangerous could happen, but that is the case for the whole sport and this is something...like fingerless gloves...that comes with the territory. When it gets to the ref stopping the fight or more importantly recognising the ko and the fighter still carries on...then theres an argument.

Post #20   7/14/09 6:58:28PM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by BarryScott

I'm not gona talk about Hendo any more because it'll become fighter bashing.

But plenty of other fighters have managed to pull away from landing extra punches once their opponent was out.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3 is Rashad vs. Liddell which you've all seen anyway!

What ever Rashad is the worst for getting in one or two more shots and had the ref not got there quick enough he would have hit Liddell more. I'm glad he landed one more shot and then said he did it. Bisping ran his mouth about Dan about the USA and the USA team that he need one more shot so to Dan

No offence but that is clearly an idiotic thing to say. At the end of the day the TUF show was a competition and gave Bisping a chance to hype the fight and try mind games, the first bit worked (nobody gave a rats about this fight when it was announced) and the second clearly didnt because Hendo's been there and done it. To say he deserves an extra punch when hes knocked out is one of the reasons people are quick to dismiss MMA as barbaric and imo that is barbaric. Im going with Hendo not meaning to do it and i'd hope if the ref had shouted its over or ran towards Bisping quicker then Hendo wouldnt have gone for that last punch.

Post #21   7/14/09 7:02:52PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Anyone read the Dan Hardy spot in the back of the UFC magazine on knocking out Markem? This isn't in his words but it says he knew he had knocked him out but followed it up for good measure.

Post #22   7/14/09 10:11:54PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
At the end of the day nobody will ever know what went through Dans head when he did it, therefore its really impossible to argue a case. If he was just making sure Bisping was finished then thats completely fine. If he knew Bisping was out and still launched into such a vicous shot it was not cool. And you cant argue that point, no matter how much you love Dan and hate Mike.

Nationality really has nothing to do with it. It seems like becouse its mainly UK guys raising an issue with the shot, alot of you Americans are just making it into a nationality thing. Perfect example being the comment above about Dan Hardy.

Post #23   7/14/09 10:38:48PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Alright.. this crap has to stop. Enough of that argument. Saying that Americans are causing the argument and Brits aren't is just a blatant example of a self-serving bias. I've seen logical arguments from both side. It's not going to get solved here on the boards no matter how much time we spend arguing about it.

Stop pushing your agendas. That means both sides.

Post #24   7/14/09 10:48:25PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2