Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMAjunkie.com Radio Dan Henderson Punch was not intentional

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:520-328
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Dan stated that his comment after the fight was a joke and apologized for making the statement. He also said that in the ring he was not sure Bisping was out, hendo also said he had no time to evaluate Bisping before the second strike.
Link

Last edited 7/14/09 2:26PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   7/14/09 2:23:41PM   

BarryScott

BANNED

BarryScott Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Now he's backtracking because he realises what he said wasn't very smart and that what he did was wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dana advised him to say this, it's the same as the Lesnar situation in a way.

Post #2   7/14/09 2:26:16PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Chips:
No really he didn't backtrack at all and you need to listen to the interview to get his full explanation, or at least just to be fair to dan.

Junkie called him on the fly so there was not time to prep a statement or anything like that.

Last edited 7/14/09 2:31PM server time by slapshot

Post #3   7/14/09 2:28:48PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
well there is still no way any of us can no the truth, but as i stated in the other threads about this i feel Dan is telling the truth here.

Post #4   7/14/09 2:30:31PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by BarryScott

Now he's backtracking because he realises what he said wasn't very smart and that what he did was wrong.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dana advised him to say this, it's the same as the Lesnar situation in a way.

Or.....perhaps he was caught up in the moment? I think I'm going to take Dan Henderson's word due to the fact he has never given any fan/reporter any reason to not take him at his word.

Bisping hasn't had a problem with the shot I don't see why all these people do. Its fighting and yea i know "if something happened" and "But what if" the thing is nothing came of it. Hendo saw Bisping go down followed up to finish until the ref stopped him. No fighter has spoken out against the shot on the contrary they have said thats part of the game so I think your way off on your assessment and Henderson means what he says.

No reason to not take him at his word he's one of the classiest fighters inside and outside the game and has earned that right imo to be taken at his word and be given the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited 7/14/09 2:33PM server time by DevonFoxy
2 total post edits

Post #5   7/14/09 2:31:30PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
You could tell it wasn't intentional, I'v actually just got through showing my dad the fight and by the time Bisping's head hit the floor Hendo was up on 1 foot and coming down with his last shot.
I don't mean to drag the argument back up from the other thread but it was nowhere near 2 seconds between Bisping hitting the floor and Hendo deciding to throw the next one. It's bearly 2 seconds between Hendo connecting with the first shot and getting pushed off by Yamasaki. Who did a awesome job reffing the match!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   7/14/09 2:39:28PM   

BarryScott

BANNED

BarryScott Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I'm not gona talk about Hendo any more because it'll become fighter bashing.

But plenty of other fighters have managed to pull away from landing extra punches once their opponent was out.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3 is Rashad vs. Liddell which you've all seen anyway!

Post #7   7/14/09 2:44:51PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Chips:
Fighter safety is the responciblity of the ref not the other fighter, I saw how far out of position the ref was when this happened and if anyone is to blame (and I dont think anyone is) for the second strike its the official, had he been in position the second strike would never have landed.

I can think of any number of fights that we see posts complaining of late or early stoppage and never in the past have we been so critical of the fighter. Just because the ref was so far out of position that he couldn't stop the fight that doesn't shift the burden of responcibility to Dan to stop it himself.

Im glad that for most of us we can put this issue to pasture.

Posted by BarryScott

But plenty of other fighters have managed to pull away from landing extra punches once their opponent was out.

Example 1

Example 2

I could post (off the top of my head) 7-10 clips of fighters striking someone AFTER the ref jumped in and not just once repeatedly and none of them have got this kind of heat.

Anyway if his explanation is not good enough I dont think any of ours will be either but at least you have Dans side of things.

Last edited 7/14/09 3:06PM server time by slapshot
2 total post edits

Post #8   7/14/09 2:56:50PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by BarryScott

Example 1

Example 2

Have you even listened to the interview? Dan explains it well and I honestly believe him. I suggest if you're that bothered by the extra shot you should stop watching contact sports. It happens, people land shots, others don't.
Hendo is one of the guys that has always been respectful and a great ambassador of the sport.
If this wasn't against Bisping this argument wouldn't even be around!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #9   7/14/09 2:59:02PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,359-899
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

No really he didn't backtrack at all and you need to listen to the interview to get his full explanation, or at least just to be fair to dan.

Junkie called him on the fly so there was not time to prep a statement or anything like that.

He made a similar retraction in the official post fight interview. So MMA Jumkie's interview was hardly off the wall.

Post #10   7/14/09 3:09:52PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by slapshot

He made a similar retraction in the official post fight interview. So MMA Jumkie's interview was hardly off the wall.

Yeah your right I mean when you call someone up out of the blue and put them on a radio show thats totally scripted.

Post #11   7/14/09 3:15:43PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,359-899
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Posted by moob

Posted by slapshot

Yeah your right I mean when you call someone up out of the blue and put them on a radio show thats totally scripted.

What I'm (pretty clearly IMO) saying, is that Henderson said the same thing when he was interviewed in the post fight official UFC press conference, therefore he had already changed his mind on immediate comments he made when interviewed by Rogan.

Post #12   7/14/09 3:18:56PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
C'mon guys...this is an argument that's impossible to settle.

Post #13   7/14/09 3:37:10PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

C'mon guys...this is an argument that's impossible to settle.

No opinions have changed since the argument was introduced...why doesn't everyone just agree to disagree.

Post #14   7/14/09 4:10:30PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Chips:
I would rather see a fighter continue to fight until the ref stops it than a fighter back off only not to have the fight stopped or have the opponent regain composure and miss an opportunity to finish the fight.

Post #15   7/14/09 4:12:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2