Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dan Henderson: The true number one middleweight contender (Opinion)

Print  
Does Hendo deserve a title shot?
Yes 43 91%
No 4 9%
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I come from the school of thought that says title holders who lose their belts deserve another crack at the title as long as they bounce back with wins (or sometimes two wins if there are other marketable contenders with a legitimate claim to the #1 contender position).

The more dominating those bounce-back performances, the quicker a former champ should get a shot.

While not a hard-fast rule, it’s also been a tradition that Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) matchmakers often follow. Rich Franklin earned a rematch against Anderson Silva with two solid victories, despite looking dismal in their first meeting. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson earned another title shot with two victories, but opted to fight Rashad Evans in a grudge match instead.

All Matt Hughes needed to get a rematch against Georges St. Pierre was a sloppy win over Chris Lytle.

Since losing his Pride FC title to Silva, Dan Henderson has strung together three consecutive victories against very tough opponents — and he’s done it by being the UFC’s beckon call boy, fighting at whatever weight Joe Silva and Dana White have asked him to.

Hendo’s victories over Rousimar Palhares and former middleweight champion Rich Franklin, along with his complete tooling of Michael Bisping at UFC 100 this past weekend, have demonstrated something else about the man once considered one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world:

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   7/14/09 8:52:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
if hendo beat bisping by a decision that is one thing but by a brutal ko well that has to have some sway to it

nov is open they could have silva face hendo in nov in vegas than have maia/marquadt winner next

u still have okami too
they could put okami in nov or

hell silva has a few fights left, have him stay at light heavy, fight gsp at catch weight as well and vacant the title so hendo, okami, nate and damien have a small tournament like the heavy weights did to see who gets the belt,

Post #2   7/14/09 9:58:33AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Cant argue it imo. I think winning any fight + beating Rich Franklin should earn a title shot.

I wouldnt be against a number 1 contender fight with Yushin though.

Post #3   7/14/09 11:10:38AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
He sure as hell deserves it... but id still rather see Hendo vs Wandy 3

Also ill be picking Hendo this time too when he does get his title shot....Silva....youre going DOWN

Post #4   7/14/09 11:25:12AM   

burialchamber

Standup Guy

burialchamber Avatar

Career:287-139
Chips:
I picked yes, but the winner of Maia-Marquardt will deserve it more. The one who wins that fight will have faced a much tougher opponent than Bisping was.

Post #5   7/14/09 12:16:02PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Id like to see Maia v. Hendo or Marquardt v. Hendo for the #1 contendership.

Post #6   7/14/09 12:18:35PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I want to see Silva challenged, so I'm kind of against a #1 contendership match. I'd like to keep the winner of Maia vs. Marquardt separate from Hendo just in case Hendo loses to Anderson.

Hendo could probably be ready to fight Anderson again as soon as Silva is recovered from Forrest. Meanwhile the winner of Maia vs. Marquardt could be training for their matchup with Anderson. They might have 6 or 7 months off, but they'll need the time to prepare.

Post #7   7/14/09 12:40:19PM   

gskyprodigy

Learning to Sprawl

Career:136-99
Camp: Kick Ass
Chips:
.......hendo deserves it after that KO, but when is still an issue........

why do ppl think okami deserves a title shot? his fights are boring and he can't finish fights...........

Post #8   7/14/09 12:42:13PM   

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Career:128-107
Chips:
I agree. Hendo does deserve a title shot because of his 3 consecutive wins and one of them by annialating micheal bisbing.

Bisping was on a terror up until hendo knocked him out cold and then leap frogged on his butt.

I would like to see other people fight for the title against silva. One of the people i think would deserve to fight silva is demein maia after he beats nate marquartd.( sorry bout spelling) it will be a good fight for maia against nate. It will finally reveal his true jiu jitsu talents and hopefully when he wins he will get a shot at the belt.

I think Demein Maia will give anderson silva a fight for his life. Just like anderson silva is gonna have a fight for his life against forest.

Post #9   7/14/09 12:48:16PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,656-890
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Beat BJJ Ace Rousimar Palhares
Beat Legendary RICH FRANKLIN
KTFO Michael THE COUNT Bisping

Thats 3 really tough guys right there...

Kind of a no brainer

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #10   7/14/09 12:55:02PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:

Posted by gskyprodigy

.......hendo deserves it after that KO, but when is still an issue........

why do ppl think okami deserves a title shot? his fights are boring and he can't finish fights...........

He deserves a shot at the title because he has beat pretty much everyone the UFC has put in front of him. Doesn't really matter if it was by boring fashion or not, he has strung together a good number of wins and should be respected as a fighter by giving him his dues for putting in his bones. Also he already holds a win over Silva... even if it is by DQ.

Post #11   7/14/09 1:03:47PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'm sorry, I just don't see how damien can beat nate. I know he has a sick jj game but nate is huge and has good jj as well. I want to see hendo silva 2, see if it was the weight cut, hendo looked in sick condition against mike

Post #12   7/14/09 2:21:10PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I'm sorry, I just don't see how damien can beat nate. I know he has a sick jj game but nate is huge and has good jj as well. I want to see hendo silva 2, see if it was the weight cut, hendo looked in sick condition against mike

Agreed and I'd prop ya if I could. I don't see Maia being able to get Nate to the ground and Nate will def. win the stand up. If It goes to the ground Nate is def. skilled enough to stay out of submissions and impose his will there too.

Henderson as well looked great in the Bisping fight he came in great shape and as soon as you looked at Henderson you could tell he was fully trained for this fight. Really excited to see the rematch and he def. deserves it! Though i wouldn't be totally against him fighting Nate just because as a fan I'd love to see that fight.

Post #13   7/14/09 2:36:26PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,473-914
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:

Posted by burialchamber

I picked yes, but the winner of Maia-Marquardt will deserve it more. The one who wins that fight will have faced a much tougher opponent than Bisping was.

i think hendo's win over rich franklin is much more telling than his win over bisping (icing on the cake)
marquardt has beaten horn, kampmann and gouviea (since silva loss)
maia has beaten jensen, quarry, mcdonald, herman, and sonnen
hendo has beaten palharas, franklin, and bisping (since silva loss)
i gotta say i think dan has the quarantine on best win streak
the records of the opponents he has just beaten should tell you why

Last edited 7/15/09 9:21AM server time by fonduktoe
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #14   7/15/09 1:33:25AM