Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Too much, too fast: Weight cut influenced Thiago Alves loss to Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“We felt that the way to beat ‘Rush’ was through counter-punching and boxing…. I wanted him to bait St-Pierre, to strike and then counter-punch. Many times you go there with a plan, but your opponent doesn’t allow you to bring it to fruition, and that’s what happened … Thiago did not show his capability of being explosive. He lost too much weight too fast and lost his explosiveness in the process. That’s why he lost the fight. Thiago can beat St. Pierre…. Thiago is a warrior and a tremendous fighter. He lasted the five rounds and he never quit. He’s extremely strong and that’s why he kept getting up. He does have what it takes to beat Georges. He has to keep his head up and know that there will be more opportunities. He’s still very young and that can work for you — and against you. Against you because you may not have the maturity or the perspective of your entire career and the future; or it can work for you, helping you learn from it, and realize how much better you can be, and how much more time you have … we just have to keep moving forward.”

STORY

Post #1   7/14/09 8:35:53AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
He is a warrior, but he is not ready for GSP.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #2   7/14/09 9:24:30AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think Thiago would do better at MW where his cut wouldn't be a factor. I can guaruntee that all the other WW fighters are thinking of ways to exploit his gas tank and use their wrestling to wear him down. The MW division is mostly a strikers or submission division and I think the paucity of wrestling ability would really play well for Thaigo.

Post #3   7/14/09 9:53:44AM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:
This is crap. He was still moving around fine and was on his toes in the 5th round. The real reason was the first one given, GSP beat the gameplan. Thiago mid-week said he was ahead of where he usually was in his weight cut which means that he cut it slower, not too fast, slower than his other fights where apparently he was fine. I call BS.

Post #4   7/14/09 10:59:39AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Ummm if your ahead of your cut that means your going faster...lol

Post #5   7/14/09 11:49:10AM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Ummm if your ahead of your cut that means your going faster...lol

I took it as he started cutting sooner and spread out the cut over a longer period of time so that he would make weight for sure.

Post #6   7/14/09 12:28:21PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
Alves lost to a better fighter. If both guys had perfect training camps and were 100% I would still expect to see GSP with his hand raised.

Post #7   7/14/09 12:39:22PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
here come the excuses
i thought he looked good, i was very surprised he didn't gas out

Post #8   7/14/09 12:39:34PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
@ the guy who said he was on his toes in the 5th round- He wasn't.. re watch the fight. At the very beginning of the round, maybe, but not throughout the whole thing. He started getting pretty flat footed 3rd and 4th round.

I will say that I was surprised how good Alves' cardio was. I thought for sure he'd be horribly gassed by the 3rd or 4th round but he was hanging in there OK.

I really don't see how people can say the weight cut wasn't a factor and that this is all just excuses, though. We all knew going into the fight that it would be a factor, so why is everyone calling it an excuse now? It is something they all deal with. To me Alves seemed pretty humble in defeat.

Post #9   7/14/09 12:48:29PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
He lost 5 rounds fair and square and GSP pulled his abductor.

No grease.

No vaseline.

No getting ur mommy to cry to the athetic commission.

No home court advantage.

It will make him stronger though.

Alves to fight... hmmm Carlos Condit if he beats Lytle or loser of Swick/Kampmann.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #10   7/14/09 1:02:50PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Just an excuse. No different from Mir's half-an-inch BS. Although with Alves the fans made his weight cut into a pre-fight excuse.

Post #11   7/14/09 1:09:21PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I dont think weight cut should ever be an excuse, everyone knows its a part of the game, if it makes you too weak move up or spread out the cut over a longer period of time.

Post #12   7/15/09 7:11:53PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Fitch was dominating him the exact same way GSP did, its not a bad game plan or the weight cut that efected that fight it was the fact that Alves just doesn't have the TDD he needs to beat top of the line wrestlers like GSP and Fitch.

There was quite a few of us that recognized that hole in his game and the fight went down exactly the way I personally felt it would.

Last edited 7/15/09 8:21PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   7/15/09 8:20:13PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If he can't stop the takedown against a top wrestler, I don't see him being a champ , or at least not for long if he ever is. That is really significant in my book though. Heck if he could stop the take down every time, I think Kit cope would be the worlds top 155er.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #14   7/16/09 7:15:47AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well the weight cut did affect him but he has always had problems with the weight cut in every fight expect the ones where he didn't make weight so it wasn't just this fight. If he doesn't want the weight cut to be an issue cut some muscle mass or move up to 185 its that simple. He lost because GSP is the better fighter not because Alves had cutting problems. He has had mouths to prepare and he has known for long time now that he has weight cutting issues. For his trainers to say it was cutting issues implies they weren't doing their job.

Post #15   7/16/09 8:45:13PM