Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

MMA Top 10 Welterweights: Will GSP Make the Division Boring?

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Georges St. Pierre has, in his last five fights, avenged his only two career losses and beaten the three toughest opponents the UFC could find for him. He's dominated all five fights, winning all 18 rounds. So what's next for GSP?

Take a look after examining my list of the Top 10 welterweights in MMA.

STORY

Post #1   7/14/09 8:24:15AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
That is the worst top 10 rankings I have seen in a while! Swick could be classed as a top ten guy but has no business being in the top 5 and Hardy hasn't beaten anyone worthy of a top 10 place! Thiago one punched Kos and got manhandled by Fitch and he's in there!

I actually don't think he'll make the devision boring, he's only fought the guys once before and guys like Saunders, Swick and Kampman offer different challenges for GSP to overcome.
Saunders is one tall dude with a huge reach advantage, Swick the same but with better striking and Kampmann is a scary dude and young to boot!
Not to mention Kos as improved his stand up greatly and people are forgetting Karo is a good fighter just messed up in the head.

I actually think Condit - GSP would be a hell of a fight when he works his way up to it.

Awful top ten rankings though!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   7/14/09 8:36:24AM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
i think brock larsson is also a true factor in the division. he was a contender in the wec, before they moved the division over to the ufc. and he is 2-0 in the ufc now. two more wins and he deserves a title shot imo.

Post #3   7/14/09 9:00:31AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

GSP will have two more fights at WW before going up to face Anderson Silva for the Middleweight title.

He'll win that fight with wrestling.

There will then be a match between the #1 and #2 contenders for the vacant WW title.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Post #4   7/14/09 10:52:26AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

GSP will have two more fights at WW before going up to face Anderson Silva for the Middleweight title.

He'll win that fight with wrestling.

There will then be a match between the #1 and #2 contenders for the vacant WW title.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Well if that does happen i wud like to see GSP fight someone else at MW first to see how he can handle the jump in divisions.Then feed him to the spider.

Post #5   7/14/09 12:37:16PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
gsp is scary
who could challenge gsp

get shields butt in the ufc already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gsp will keep his belt this year and next
i know silva might hold most title defenses but gsp will break that record the way he is going

Post #6   7/14/09 12:44:13PM   

gskyprodigy

Learning to Sprawl

Career:136-99
Camp: Kick Ass
Chips:
................GSP make the division boring? I think its the other way around....................GSP might be the boring factor here, most of his title defenses so far have been by decision............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have any1 not noticed that GSP has not lived up to his nickname "RUSH" for a while now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........GSP sticks so closely to his gameplan these days that he fights not to win, but fights not to lose...................he wants to create a legacy, but its tough when your not finishing ur opponents off, the fight with penn was all GSP and credit to GSP............

..........GSP fighting Anderson SIlva is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, GSP wants nothing to do with the spider !, oh ya, like some ppl say, GSP could win with his wrestling, and that lies in the problem, its going to be another DECISION VICTORY!!!!!!!!not a finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE THE HELL IS THE "RUSH" in there???????

......GSP getting injured in the 3rd round definitely imparied his ability to finish alves, I give GSP that, but rounds 1 and 2 were open to him for the finish.......

Post #7   7/14/09 12:52:20PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,058-1,153
Chips:
The words GSP and Boring simply shouldnt be used in the same sentence.

Post #8   7/14/09 12:53:33PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
To me, Fitch and Alves are head and shoulders above the rest of the Welterweights, and Jake shields isn't in the UFC, so we can take him out.

I think the winner of Carlos Condit/Chris Lytle moves up and Thiago Alves should fight the loser of Mike Quick Swick and Martin Kampmann.

Marcus Davis vs Paulo Thiago would be another okay match up too, and that leaves #2 Welterweight in the world in Fitch, with no dance partner... give Fitch another hard fight

But when all is said and done, nobody is really even close to Rush right now

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #9   7/14/09 1:09:02PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Fitch-Swick-Koscheck

That is what is making the division boring.

Post #10   7/14/09 1:15:43PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Lets see
2. Jon Fitch-St pierre destroyed him for 5 rounds
3. Thiago Alves-st pierre had his way with him for 5 rounds
4. Jake Shields
5. Mike Swick
6. Matt Hughes -tapped him once, Ko once
7. Josh Koscheck-domination again
8. Martin Kampmann
9. Dan Hardy
10. Paulo Thiago

also he has wins over Parisyan and Serra

this leaves Jake shields-not in ufc
mike swick who is likely next because who else is there if he beats Kampmann

hardy, anthoney johnson, brock larsen are all a few fights/good wins off of this picture

could be the new middleweight division -a bored unchallenged champion

Post #11   7/14/09 1:49:07PM   

mk1630

Standup Guy

mk1630 Avatar

Career:382-218
Chips:

Posted by gskyprodigy

................GSP make the division boring? I think its the other way around....................GSP might be the boring factor here, most of his title defenses so far have been by decision............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have any1 not noticed that GSP has not lived up to his nickname "RUSH" for a while now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........GSP sticks so closely to his gameplan these days that he fights not to win, but fights not to lose...................he wants to create a legacy, but its tough when your not finishing ur opponents off, the fight with penn was all GSP and credit to GSP............

..........GSP fighting Anderson SIlva is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, GSP wants nothing to do with the spider !, oh ya, like some ppl say, GSP could win with his wrestling, and that lies in the problem, its going to be another DECISION VICTORY!!!!!!!!not a finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE THE HELL IS THE "RUSH" in there???????

......GSP getting injured in the 3rd round definitely imparied his ability to finish alves, I give GSP that, but rounds 1 and 2 were open to him for the finish.......

Maybe its just me but i like seeing longer fights. Dont get me wrong i love seeing a fight get finished, but can you honestly complain with a hard fought decision, especailly if its a great fight? Trust me i loved seeing GSP make Hughes tap or kneeing the crap out of Serra til he couldnt go anymore, but i dont mind it. Just watch his fight with Fitch and tell me he's boring.

Post #12   7/14/09 11:16:55PM   

Near07

MMA Regular

Near07 Avatar

Career:1,899-1,396
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
HEELLLOOO!!! He may not finish fights but they are never boring and he makes the fights look so one sided its not funny!!! Thiago didn't look like the "pitbull"" either.. Of course he is creating a legacy, he has wiped his ass with the division What else do you want him to do?? His oppenents all look pretty rough after 5 rounds of a pure beating!! He beats them at their own games!! Maybe when you don't have the belt then you try those risky moves to get the early ko/sub but why would he risk it??? He is the champ for a reason!! Anderson fighting GSP is an awesome fight, it could go either way, i hope it happens..once again who cares if it is a decision, if its a war!! People would rather watch wars the pay money to watch a 1 min fight!! Its funny how you think Gsp isn't living up to "Rush"..what is that about, i could go on for days on peoples nicknames..Hows the "Maniac" doing theses days, a real killer eh?? Anyway GSP is 27 and will be champ for a long time winning round after round (doing his job) ..Last point if his fights are boring how come we don't hear a single boo???????

Post #13   7/15/09 4:10:50AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
It seems to me like they will give anyone a pen and fanhouse IMO is not really a huge authority in MMA journalism IMO.

Last edited 7/15/09 8:26PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   7/15/09 1:46:19PM