Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Disgusted by Dan

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 5 of 8   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8  
Posted By Message

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Well look at it this way, if Bisping could back up his mouth he would still be chirping about how he was robbed of a decsion win.

Post #61   7/12/09 11:27:33PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,377-772
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I cheered for the KO and I cheered louder for the follow-up shot. I don't think the fight could have ended a better way.

Quite honestly I hadnt jumped out of my recliner that quick in a while...my wife and daughter were in the barn and they phoned and asked what I was screaming about.
It was borderline but I was wanting Bisping to get hammered so bad from the months of trashtalk and insults to Dans brainpower that Im willing to forgive Hendo in time.
Ok I forgive your lack of judgement Dan, dont doit again.

Post #62   7/12/09 11:31:30PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
i got ten dollars that bisping says he had swine flu

Post #63   7/13/09 12:22:50AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
So its not ok to hit a guy after he is unconscious but it is encouraged to hit a guy who is unintelligibly defending himself from GnP?

Henderson hit Bisping before the ref stopped him.... If you are going to get mad at anyone get mad at the ref... even still it is an unbelievably weak arguement, much like this one.

Post #64   7/13/09 1:45:41AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'm not a big fan of hitting guys who are defenseless. That being said, I give Dan a pass on this one. To me there is a difference between getting in that one last shot and continuously beating a dude down. I know that doesn't sound like it makes much sense, but it's the way I feel. I don't have to agree with you and you don't have to agree with me. Hear me out if you wish, though-

As a person who trains and competes in MMA you're aware that you're going to constantly put your health on the line against others. In a way, as much as you know that the other guy is in there to hurt you, you also have to be somewhat trusting of your opponent and the referees to protect your health. To me, this is just another example of why you should carry yourself as a respectful individual in the sport. It's why I despise people like Brock Lesnar who carry themselves as classless individuals. Anybody who is any kind of a rational person in this sport knows that it could be them lights on on the canvas at any minute. When the chips are down and you're left defenseless, do you want to be that guy who was begging to get his ass kicked with your piss poor attitude and trash talk leading into the fight? Or do you want to be that guy that gives everyone respect and carries himself with class? I'll let you imagine yourself lights out on the canvas with a guy standing fist-cocked over you for a minute before you decide.

Obviously it could have been Dan KO'd on the mat (not likely) and hopefully he knew that if their roles were reversed he may have suffered the same fate. When he chose to open his mouth and say his piece, he knew what he was getting himself into. It's not up to us to defend him or Bisping. It was their choices as individuals to say the things they did and suffer the consequences. Hopefully this is one of those- "lesson learned, Mike Bisping" deals.

Post #65   7/13/09 1:59:46AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I didnt have a problem with what dan did at all, on the contrary i thought it was F***in awesome. The ref hadnt stopped it yet so it was completely legal. also bisping had been talkin alot of Sh*t so dan shut him up. Bisping was fine afterward so idk why its such a big deal. dan isnt the 1st to do that either, Rampage KTFO'd Wandy then gave him 4 or 5 hard ass shots on the chin and nobody made a big deal about that

Post #66   7/13/09 4:41:19AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,254-836
Chips:
So basically what the general consensus is that as long as the Ref doesn't intervene, you can get as many unnecessary shots at your opponent regardless of what might happen as a result of said shots being landed on a defenceless fighter.

I have a problem with that.

What if (and yes, I know it is a big what if) the Ref had slipped (it's happened before) and been unable to stop Henderson/or any other fighter punching the life out of a KO'd opponent for a significant amount of time. At what point is it deemed unacceptable - or is the feeling that 'you continue until the ref pulls you off' still hold true and firm?

This is a sport, a sport attempting to seek legitimacy throughout the world and let's face it - New York is the ultimate goal for the UFC. Incidents like this don't do anything to make the sport look more legit in the eyes of those who believe it is still the same as it once was in UFC 1.

We constantly hear commentators and fans alike applaud the respect and concern for fighters post fight when someone gets hurt, yet the more blood-thirsty of us seem to feel that because someone trash-talked before a fight, that means it's perfectly acceptable to do as much damage as possible - even if they're clearly unconscious, then to gloat and laugh about it later. Weird.

I know I'm never going to change anyone's opinions on here, and further reasoning is lost on many, but we need to take a more objective look at scenarios like this and how those outside the sport may view it.

Post #67   7/13/09 5:09:34AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It was one punch that was started before the opposing fighters arms fell back towards his waist. There's no way you can be 100% sure it's over. He'd have gotten 100 times the flak if he hadn't thrown it and Bisping had been able to continue.

Pointless thread and obviously in defense of TS's favorite fighter.

Post #68   7/13/09 5:15:37AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

It was one punch that was started before the opposing fighters arms fell back towards his waist. There's no way you can be 100% sure it's over. He'd have gotten 100 times the flak if he hadn't thrown it and Bisping had been able to continue.

Pointless thread and obviously in defense of TS's favorite fighter.

As I mentioned a page or two back, the second punch was calculated and happened a full 2 seconds after the clear KO punch.

Bisping is not my favourite fighter, never was, never will be.

I would have started this thread had it been anyone else involved, period.

Post #69   7/13/09 5:18:36AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by moob

I disagree 100%.

I think you're an occasionally articulate person, albeit it standoffish, and try to be verbally manipulative in an elementary school way, but I think you choose to over-talk about anything Bisping related just because you know how much he is hated. In a similar way that most fans hate Kimbo because of the fans that support him, I think you always talk about Bisping because of the fans that dislike him. What other poster can claim multiple pages of results if you google their username and "bisping". None that I know of.

"chants of 'USA! USA!' ringing in his ears as he plies his trade. Now that's embarrassing." Moob, 12/14/07

"I know people who are good friends and train with him." Moob, 12/20/07

"Cue more disdain for Bisping on this thread." Moob, 1/4/08

"I really, really can't understand why people crap on a fighter simply because he won a controversial decision - it's not the first time this has happened in MMA" Moob, 2/2/08
This one kinda rings true with the one hit before the ref stops the fight.

"there is not a solid chunk of fans who don't like Bisping. I met him at UFC80, and the guy couldn't be any more 'fan-friendly' - he spent an age getting pictures taken, signing autographs, and talking to the fans" Moob, 2/2/08

"Many fighters 'dis' each other both pre and post fight - it's hardly ground-breaking." Moob, 2/2/08

"I don't have any specific regard or disregard for US fans, merely a significant number of them who perceive the events to be useful for a soapbox to display nationalism" Moob, 2/2/08

"Bisping is not my favourite fighter. I hold him in high regard however, as I know several people from his fight camp personally, therefore he gets my unconditional support." Moob, 2/2/08

"Even though I support Bisping unconditionally, there's a small part of me that wants him to get KTFO so all you sad haters can finally STFU." Moob, 5/9/08
Done

"I love the fact Bisping continues to shove it down the throats of those that despise him - you lot must be choking on your own vomit every time he wins - it's hilarious." Moob, 6/8/08

It's obvious I don't need to post anymore. You know people who train with him, you've met him and like him, you defend him in every post someone brings him up, you even said you wanted him to get KTFO to end the "haters", but it's you that keeps it alive. Ironic isn't it?

Post #70   7/13/09 5:44:42AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by moob

I disagree 100%.

I think you're an occasionally articulate person, albeit it standoffish, and try to be verbally manipulative in an elementary school way, but I think you choose to over-talk about anything Bisping related just because you know how much he is hated. In a similar way that most fans hate Kimbo because of the fans that support him, I think you always talk about Bisping because of the fans that dislike him. What other poster can claim multiple pages of results if you google their username and "bisping". None that I know of.

"chants of 'USA! USA!' ringing in his ears as he plies his trade. Now that's embarrassing." Moob, 12/14/07

"I know people who are good friends and train with him." Moob, 12/20/07

"Cue more disdain for Bisping on this thread." Moob, 1/4/08

"I really, really can't understand why people crap on a fighter simply because he won a controversial decision - it's not the first time this has happened in MMA" Moob, 2/2/08
This one kinda rings true with the one hit before the ref stops the fight.

"there is not a solid chunk of fans who don't like Bisping. I met him at UFC80, and the guy couldn't be any more 'fan-friendly' - he spent an age getting pictures taken, signing autographs, and talking to the fans" Moob, 2/2/08

"Many fighters 'dis' each other both pre and post fight - it's hardly ground-breaking." Moob, 2/2/08

"I don't have any specific regard or disregard for US fans, merely a significant number of them who perceive the events to be useful for a soapbox to display nationalism" Moob, 2/2/08

"Bisping is not my favourite fighter. I hold him in high regard however, as I know several people from his fight camp personally, therefore he gets my unconditional support." Moob, 2/2/08

"Even though I support Bisping unconditionally, there's a small part of me that wants him to get KTFO so all you sad haters can finally STFU." Moob, 5/9/08
Done

"I love the fact Bisping continues to shove it down the throats of those that despise him - you lot must be choking on your own vomit every time he wins - it's hilarious." Moob, 6/8/08

It's obvious I don't need to post anymore. You know people who train with him, you've met him and like him, you defend him in every post someone brings him up, you even said you wanted him to get KTFO to end the "haters", but it's you that keeps it alive. Ironic isn't it?

I don't take your comment regards 'elementary school way' at all favourably. I'm well educated, yet don't feel the need to be overly articulate on an MMA forum - that doesn't sit well with a lot of people. I don't think there was any need to get personal.

You went to a lot of trouble to search and quote my previous comments - that worries me somewhat.

What is ironic - is the comment you posted where I state that Bisping is not my favourite fighter - contrary to your earlier post on this thread.

You are however correct in that I do defend him on a regular basis on here, for some of the reasons you've mentioned, but also because he gets a rough ride on here - something that isn't really supposed to happen, but hey-ho - if that makes me a bad person, so be it.

I did lose a fair amount of respect for Bisping after watching tough, he was rather annoying it must be said - even for myself.

I stand by my remark about criticising other fighters who have done a similar thing as Hendo did, whether you chose to believe it or otherwise.

Post #71   7/13/09 6:05:28AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
"Elementary school way" refers to anyone who uses debate techniques like inferring something and then when the other person counters you respond with "you said it, not me, so you have to prove your point". I've noticed you do that type of thing on here on multiple occasions before.

Regardless, I think you're over-defense of Bisping keeps "haters" on the mmaplayground boards. Which is exactly what you don't want on here. I'll take your word for it that it's not because of Bisping, but instead because of the stoppage that you made this thread, it's just hard for me to see it that way.

I don't like extra hits any more than the next guy, but in my personal opinion, barring any fighter attachments, I didn't think it was unjustified. And I do believe that Henderson made the post-fight comments to get a pop from the crowd.

It is what it is. We see it differently.

Post #72   7/13/09 6:22:15AM   

world_mma

Learning to Sprawl

world_mma Avatar

Career:411-254
Chips:
..... and still most people are missing the point.

The follow-up punch...... fine
Keep going 'til the ref stops you..... fine
Say that what Bisping got was karma.....fine

Admit to knowing that the guy was unconscious when you punched him again..... not fine
Admit that against anyone else you would pull out of that second punch..... not fine
Deliberately intend to cause further damage, knowing him to be unconscious.... not fine

I just cannot understand anyone defending Dan's comments afterwards. I know it is because the Bisping-haters loved seeing it and would defend it blindly BUT this continued attitude can do our sport no end of harm. This one incident is not going to do that much harm as I do think that this has been blown out of proportion.

Dan was wrong to admit and gloat over the deliberate strike against an unconscious opponent and tarnish what was a comprehensive win and knockout. This said, at least his was in the heat of the moment. Some of the people defending this deliberate strike to an unconscious opponent have had time to consider their replies. Concerning.

If you see it any other way I am appalled at your lack of compassion, sportsmanship and respect for others. Then again, my faith in human nature does take a constant battering.

PS Please remember before you reply - Dan admitted he would have pulled out against anyone else; knowing Bisping was unconscious and the fight was won.

Post #73   7/13/09 6:33:14AM   

world_mma

Learning to Sprawl

world_mma Avatar

Career:411-254
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

And I do believe that Henderson made the post-fight comments to get a pop from the crowd.

Only with this point, mind....
Still, stupid comments or actions, intended or not, still deserve reprimand.

Post #74   7/13/09 6:37:34AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:
There's no way to know for a fact that someone is unconscious in that short amount of time, and Dan has stated that he was joking in the post-fight interview about throwing the punch to shut him up.

There's no end to this; some people feel one way, some people feel the other.

It's time to think about the next fight for both fighters and move on from over-analyzing a punch that was legal by the sanctioned rules of MMA in the country the event took place in.

Last edited 7/13/09 6:44AM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #75   7/13/09 6:42:24AM   

Page 5 of 8   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7     8