Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Disgusted by Dan

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
  Page 4 of 8     1     2     3     4     5     6     7   >>
Posted By Message

world_mma

Learning to Sprawl

world_mma Avatar

Career:411-254
Chips:
Before I start...
I'm British and support Bisping
This said, I am intelligent enough to look at this with an unbiased eye.

We all have to understand that the growth of this sport into the mainstream is purely down to marketing. Can we get the wider world to believe that we are not all violent thugs who just scrap and watch other people fight?

Unlike a number of years ago, there can be no argument over the commitment and athletic ability of the participants. It is just down to the perception of the sport. Two points made in this thread hit right into this...

Trash talk..... as old as fighting itself. The fights have to be marketed and some trash-talk gives a fight more interest. Henderson and Bisping are fully aware of this and so the words that they both used pre-fight are part of the carefully orchestrated build up to the fight. There has been much much worse trash-talk than for this fight before. It's all part of the marketing.

Now.... the only way that this trash-talk can be justified is by the respect that fighters have for each other after the fight.

For the marketing of the sport Dan Henderson we all should agree he was wrong. As has been said, just the punch, then no problem. The talk after the fight (be it meant as a joke or not) is at best a tarnishing of the sport and at worst an absolute disgrace. Your individual view on each fighter will probably determine which side of that fence you are.

I lost a bit of respect for Dan but I'm sure he will still sleep at night. Don't even get me started on C.o.c.k Lesnar....

PS Did anyone see Dan go over to check if Bisping was ok after the knockout? At least tell me 'the most respectful and gentlemanly man in the UFC' did that......

Last edited 7/12/09 6:10PM server time by world_mma
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #46   7/12/09 6:05:53PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Thats pretty funny, everybody at my place just busted up into laughter when he said the last was to shut him up.

Same here.

The way I see it,Karma can be a b($ch,and I think Bisping had this coming.
Better it happen sooner than later.
I could see the point more if the referee had stepped in,but he hadn't.

Last edited 7/12/09 6:30PM server time by mrsmiley

Post #47   7/12/09 6:29:19PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by world_mma

Before I start...
I'm British and support Bisping
This said, I am intelligent enough to look at this with an unbiased eye.

We all have to understand that the growth of this sport into the mainstream is purely down to marketing. Can we get the wider world to believe that we are not all violent thugs who just scrap and watch other people fight?

Unlike a number of years ago, there can be no argument over the commitment and athletic ability of the participants. It is just down to the perception of the sport. Two points made in this thread hit right into this...

Trash talk..... as old as fighting itself. The fights have to be marketed and some trash-talk gives a fight more interest. Henderson and Bisping are fully aware of this and so the words that they both used pre-fight are part of the carefully orchestrated build up to the fight. There has been much much worse trash-talk than for this fight before. It's all part of the marketing.

Now.... the only way that this trash-talk can be justified is by the respect that fighters have for each other after the fight.

For the marketing of the sport Dan Henderson we all should agree he was wrong. As has been said, just the punch, then no problem. The talk after the fight (be it meant as a joke or not) is at best a tarnishing of the sport and at worst an absolute disgrace. Your individual view on each fighter will probably determine which side of that fence you are.

I lost a bit of respect for Dan but I'm sure he will still sleep at night. Don't even get me started on C.o.c.k Lesnar....

PS Did anyone see Dan go over to check if Bisping was ok after the knockout? At least tell me 'the most respectful and gentlemanly man in the UFC' did that......

i dont agree with your post at all.an ill tell you why..

you said the punch was ok but the talk after wasnt.well....if i remember correctly bisping was the one doin all the trash talking..also if i remember correctly dan said he was just goin to shut him up with his fist..which he did with emphatic fashion.once again ITS FIGHTING!! so what if dan said that. if bisping wasnt talking so much **** before.(which by the way was ok with everyone).that punch would have never happened.Dan won get over it.he took his share of trash talk.let him deal out the little he deserves for beating bisping

Last edited 7/12/09 6:36PM server time by george112

Post #48   7/12/09 6:34:47PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

ok i didnt wanna go through 3 pages to see if anyone thought of this one.................

but do u bash rampage for hittin wandy like 3 times while he was out.........WHILE the ref was tryin to push him off.

honestly i can't say anything bad about Dan, or agree with you, for the simple reason that i have never seen anyone be so emotional about 1 fighter doin this to another in any of these posts.

if thats the case there should be droves of posts for a bunch of different fights..

CC-Gonzaga
Leben-Santiago
Belcher-Santiago
Rampage-Wandy
Wandy-Jardine

c'mon man yeah he wound up on him hard again, but it didn't "tarnish the sport" or "bring mma back".

if anything Lesnars blatant, emphasis on BLATANT disrespect AFTER the fight is bad for the sport

Post #49   7/12/09 6:39:10PM   

world_mma

Learning to Sprawl

world_mma Avatar

Chips:

you said the punch was ok but the talk after wasnt.well....if i remember correctly bisping was the one doin all the trash talking..also if i remember correctly dan said he was just goin to shut him up with his fist..which he did with emphatic fashion.once again ITS FIGHTING!! so what if dan said that. if bisping wasnt talking so much **** before.(which by the way was ok with everyone).that punch would have never happened.Dan won get over it.he took his share of trash talk.let him deal out the little he deserves for beating bisping

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned why trash-talk and what you do after the fight is different.... try again.

Dan did trash-talk; he just isn't as good at it as Bisping. (Didn't count for much in the fight though...)

And, quick point of order; it's not fighting, it's the wonderful sport of MMA. Fighting is something that happens in a number of cities across the world after people have drunk too much beer. This is trying to be the biggest sport in the world according to Dana. If it wants that status it has to be marketable to a wider audience than just us. Dan's 'ill-thought-out' comments fuels the fire for the MMA haters.

You can lead a horse to water.......

Post #50   7/12/09 6:51:42PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by world_mma

Did you actually read my post? I mentioned why trash-talk and what you do after the fight is different.... try again.

Dan did trash-talk; he just isn't as good at it as Bisping. (Didn't count for much in the fight though...)

And, quick point of order; it's not fighting, it's the wonderful sport of MMA. Fighting is something that happens in a number of cities across the world after people have drunk too much beer. This is trying to be the biggest sport in the world according to Dana. If it wants that status it has to be marketable to a wider audience than just us. Dan's 'ill-thought-out' comments fuels the fire for the MMA haters.

You can lead a horse to water.......

point is dan didnt do anything wrong.prove my points wrong it doesnt bother me

let me clarify it again..

DAN DID NOTHING WRONG!

end of story

Post #51   7/12/09 7:02:30PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Everyone is still MISSING the point. It isn't a problem that he kept going after him. The PROBLEM is that he admitted that he was just trying to get an extra shot in and knew he was out. If he would have just said I was fighting until the referee stopped it to make sure he didn't get up, I'm sure we wouldn't have this thread. The fact that he ADMITTED to trying to damage the guy more is what makes this sick. Henderson has no respect in my books, I hope Anderson Silva KO's him with a kick and then slams him until the referee gets there.

Moob is making the point as well, the problem is that he admitted that he knew Bisping was out and that he was just trying to shut him up some more.

Right. It's ok to punch a guy in the face when he is unconscious on his back as long as you don't admit "to trying to damage the guy more". If you say you did it because the ref wasn't stopping the fight then the victim probably suffers less damage

Post #52   7/12/09 7:13:56PM   

Bumpy

MMA Regular

Bumpy Avatar

Career:792-598
Chips:
I did not see any thing wrong with it, many of times I have seen guys be out and get hit more than once in till the ref jumps in. The question is do you think he just admitted that for what ever reason but in all reality when the fight was going on his instincts took over and he just jumped on him like we have seen many of other fighters do in the past.

Post #53   7/12/09 7:30:02PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
Bisping was in no way close to serious injury. That's the bottom line. If you think those punches were brutal, go watch boxing, because you have no idea.

Last edited 7/12/09 7:48PM server time by TimW001
2 total post edits

Post #54   7/12/09 7:39:21PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Paint it whatever colour you want, It was still a scummy thing to do. The fact Hendo admitted after the fight he did it on purpose knowing full well Bisping was out cold..... I just dont see how you can respect anybody for that.

Fact of the matter is, Hendo is a favourite, Bisping is a heel. If it was the other way round, every American MMA forum would have at least one thread calling Mike a scumbag for doing it.

Also, LOL to the comment above this. You do realise the sheer size differance between a boxing glove and an MMA glove right? And that fact that having a 200 pound man leap into the air and smash you in the chin with said gloves on while your completely defenceless is probably a little more risky then getting hooked in a boxing match?

Post #55   7/12/09 8:34:32PM   

world_mma

Learning to Sprawl

world_mma Avatar

Chips:

Right. It's ok to punch a guy in the face when he is unconscious on his back as long as you don't admit "to trying to damage the guy more".

Yes. Absolutely right. That's the point. Because without those words no-one could prove intent.

A rather serious difference..... Intent to further damage an unconscious opponent can't really be argued as good for the sport.

Now, for the record, I am not convinced that Dan intentionally went out to hurt Bisping knowing he was unconscious. He really was making sure of the deserved win. His comments afterwards were exceedingly bad judgement on the spur of the moment from a guy who is hardly Joe Rogan in the one-liner department.

Anyone who thinks it is right to try and further damage an already unconscious opponent has serious issues.

PS I am not 'Disgusted by Dan', I am slightly disappointed in him.

PPS No-one has confirmed if Gentleman Dan went to Bisping afterwards or not..... I would hope he did.

Post #56   7/12/09 8:39:00PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by moob

Rogan: Did you know he was out before you landed this one?

Henderson: (laughs) Normally I'm not that way in fights, I know if the guy's out, I tend to stop - I knew I hit him out and I think that one was just to shut him up a little bit. (laughs)

If this was the other way round, and Bisping did and said what Henderson did, I'm 100% confident there would be plenty of posters on here saying what I'm saying.

Could you imagine if Brock did that Mir? People would be screaming all over these forums.

brock beat mir worse than that, he landed about 8 extra punches on the ground that were after mir stopped intelligently defending himself, 7 more than Dan and I havent seen a single post to back up what you just stated

Post #57   7/12/09 9:37:48PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by TimW001

Bisping was in no way close to serious injury. That's the bottom line. If you think those punches were brutal, go watch boxing, because you have no idea.

Regardless of how you feel about Hendo landing that second shot, this statement is ridiculous. The punches were hard enough to knock him out cold...how much harder until they're brutal exactly? And, how is it that you know whether Bisping was close to serious injury or not? If you were the doctor that administered his post fight medical examination, I apologize for jumping the gun.

Post #58   7/12/09 9:40:53PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:
i thought it was funny

and its funny to see the deference between when hendo knocked renzo out he stopped immediately and sort of put his hand on him so see if he was ok

i guess you shouldnt talk **** about hendo

Post #59   7/12/09 10:39:35PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I cheered for the KO and I cheered louder for the follow-up shot. I don't think the fight could have ended a better way.

Post #60   7/12/09 11:14:43PM   

Page 4 of 8     1     2     3     4     5     6     7   >>