Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Are the Champs Set in Stone for Awhile?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
The next guy to lose his belt will either be Machida or Penn. I could see Henderson beating Silva though.

Post #16   7/12/09 2:19:27PM   

randompunter

MMA Regular

randompunter Avatar

Career:998-601
Chips:
I dont think Penn or Lesnar will be champ for too long. I think Bj will lose as soon as he fights Diego or Maynard and Lesnar to Nog,Carwin or Cain whoever it will be.

Post #17   7/12/09 4:48:41PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Machida, GSP will be for a while. Lesnar, Penn, Silva will all lose there next defense imo

Post #18   7/12/09 10:30:51PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
I say Silva will be the first to lose his title. I only say that because he is flawless in the UFC up to this point and cleaned the division out once already and law of averages say he has to lose sometime.

Post #19   7/12/09 11:24:53PM   

MMA4EVER

Learning to Sprawl

MMA4EVER Avatar

Career:218-178
Chips:
Lyoto will be champ for a long time as well as anderson and gsp i dont see them 3 losing the belt for a long time as for penn and lesnar lesnar will lose if in fact he fights fedor there is quite a few hws that can beat him minotauro crocop carwin velasquez even gonzaga brock wont keep the belt penn he might lose to florian kenflo is comin off sum impressive wins and i do think that he will take the belt from penn

Post #20   7/13/09 2:15:57PM   

thefyn

Learning to Sprawl

Career:197-143
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
Penn is safe IMO. He needs to stop going up in weight. He is so used to monsters like Hughes and GSP fighting Ken Flaw won't be the uphill battle everyone thinks.

GSP safe.

Silva: safe

Machida: safe

Brock: Carwin or Cain will beat him 5 times out of 10.

Post #21   7/13/09 2:33:55PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think first one to lose the belt will be penn and gsp will be the last of the fallen

Post #22   7/14/09 12:08:11AM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
Penn has the hardest test of his lightweight career in Kenny Florian coming up. One has to wonder how he has recovered from his last fight against GSP, and if that has taken some focus away from his fight with Ken Flo. Factor in the fact that he has always had problems with his work ethic, this could be a tough night for BJ if the best Kenny Florian shows up. I would say out of anyone, BJ has the highest probability of losing it first because of this fight. When the lines opened up, he wasn't even a one and a half favorite against Ken Flo.

Machida is next. The man is incredibly hard to hit and this is because his footwork is second to none. He has shown he has power in his hands and he can wrestle with the best. Yet, the LHW division is so deep, Machida will be dealing with constant pressure. I think the man who has the biggest chance of beating him is Rampage. Rampage has technical boxing himself, solid footwork, good angles, he's strong and has big power. Unlike Rashad, Rampage said he would bring it to Machida, and I think this is the way to beat him. For this reason, Machida's my second pick.

Lesnar is next. With supposidly the winner of the Velasquez/Carwin fight getting the title shot, Lesnar has a pretty big layoff. That being said, looking at it right now, Velasquez is still too green, and Brock is basically just a bigger version of Carwin. For now, I don't think Lesnar's going anywhere, making him number three.

Silva is number four. He cleaned out the MW division once, but time has rolled around, and the previous number one contenders are back again, along with a couple new challengers. Possibly looking at a solid Marquardt.. who was thought to be a good match up stylistically against Anderson, Hendo.. one of the very few men to actually dominant Silva for a round, and Maia.. arguably the fighter with the best BJJ in the UFC. For Marquardt and Hendo, it might've just been a matter of time before they figured Silva out. If they take another run at him, who knows.

GSP is last. The man has officially cleaned out the WW division. The winner of Swick/Kampmann gets a title shot, and looking at that match up, neither of them seem like they will have an answer for GSP's dominace. I think he will hold onto the belt for a very long time. Maybe if Koscheck gets his act together or Alves rebounds. If not, the UFC is going to need to bring in some fresh blood to dethrone GSP.

Post #23   7/14/09 2:52:06AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,853-1,062
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
To throw a curveball into the discussion... thinking about it now I might say GSP and Silva might be the first to lose their belts because they both seem to be pondering a permanent move to the next weight class higher.

Post #24   7/14/09 4:03:36PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Machida will lose his belt in his next fight.

Post #25   7/14/09 7:51:23PM   

shane

Learning to Sprawl

shane Avatar

Career:582-446
Camp: whyTHEear
Chips:
GSP will be champ for a while others... NAH

Machida won't last long.
Penn will lose to KenFlo.
Silva will lose to whoever is next title contender. Any 1 of the 3 can beat him.
Lesner is hit or miss. He can beat alot of guys but alot can beat him to. So we'll see. Depends on who is thrown at him and in what order.

Post #26   7/15/09 5:28:24PM   

MMAAJORTON

Learning to Sprawl

Career:122-71
Chips:
Going into 2011 the only guy I see still as champion is GSP.

Post #27   7/15/09 5:39:34PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
I see Lesnar losing soon, possibly in the next 1-2 defenses. Sorry guys, hes good, I agree, but a little overrated. His natural strength is all he has going for him with a good wrestling background. We all know that being 1 sided will eventually be your downfall (Matt Hughes anyone?). If someone figures out how to avoid his takedowns, he is done. Its either going to be a good wrestler putting Lesnar on his back GNPing/subbing him, or a good striker with great takedown defense to take him out. (I can see Cro Cop KO'ing him if he keeps it standing, and if he can get back to his old takedown defense status, Carwin has a good chance too with the KO power he has)

Penn will keep the belt as long as he doesn't get lazy. Florian will give him a tough fight. Diego would be a tough fight as well for Penn.

Machida should keep the belt if he keeps fighting like he is. Very tough style to go up against.

GSP is doing great don't see him losing anytime soon to anyone

Same with Silva.

So yeah for the most part, almost all of the belts are locked up. It is MMA though, anyone can win on any given night, it's just a matter of time before one of them slips up and loses

Last edited 7/16/09 11:29AM server time by leland
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #28   7/16/09 11:27:31AM   

HandsUpChinDown

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Only one set in stone is GSP as he has wiped the division down to B level fighters left.

Post #29   7/16/09 9:37:42PM   

iceliddell240

Learning to Sprawl

iceliddell240 Avatar

Career:487-324
Camp: team atlas
Chips:
nope,
carwin will KO lesnar
bones jones will beat lyoto wen the time comes
anthony johnson will dethrone GSP
gray maynard will beat penn
anderson will stay champ for a while

all these scenarios will occur in the near future provided the ufc gives the title shots to the deserving contenders

Post #30   7/18/09 11:33:24AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3