Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ultimate Fighting's Cold War Gets Hotter (TIME Magazine Article)

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Imagine a pro quarterback with Peyton Manning's talent, playing up north in the CFL instead of the NFL. Or picture Tiger Woods shunning the PGA and all the major championships to star in the second-string Nationwide Tour. It may sound ridiculous, but the fast-growing, wildly popular sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) is grappling with such an unthinkable, uncomfortable scenario.

STORY

Post #1   7/10/09 8:41:47AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i stopped reading after "face denting RIGHT jab". obviously this is written by someone that knows little to nothing about the sport.

Last edited 7/10/09 9:44AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/10/09 9:28:21AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #3   7/10/09 9:30:47AM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:
I thought it was a great article personally. Seems like everyone in the world thinks Fedor is incredible except Dana.

Post #4   7/10/09 11:32:15AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
This quote is worse than the jab one.

"the UFC has turned the blood sport from a fringe combination of boxing, wrestling and taekwondo"

Ummm, what about BJJ?

Why mention Dana was an ex-aerobics instructor? Wouldn't it be more relevant to mention that he was a former manager for fighters?

One sided article. You think the NFL would allow Peyton to do MMA? Hell no. A lot of NFL contracts don't even allow their players to ride motorcycles.

Post #5   7/10/09 12:32:21PM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
Definitely a little biased against the UFC. Still makes me wonder about those contracts though. It seems like these contracts don't really do much for fighters who are already extremely established like Fedor. He already gets good paychecks, other organizations let him fight wherever he wants, he's allowed to partake in sambo, so why risk it all for the UFC? Dana needs to BEND for Fedor just a little bit, cut him a deal just like he did for Cro-Cop, I don't see why not. I mean one fight deal, he fights the HW champion, you could easily market that ****.
Someone help me see differently if I'm wrong, otherwise it looks like a win/win to me.

Post #6   7/10/09 12:37:41PM   

colescar

Choke You

colescar Avatar

Career:826-686
Camp: Team Kumate
Chips:
I just was shocked to be reading about MMA in Time Magazine!!

Post #7   7/10/09 1:17:02PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,480-1,168
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by EpicTerran

t. I mean one fight deal, he fights the HW champion, you could easily market that ****.

Because who wants somebody to come in beat your best guy, take the belt then leave. That would be stupid.

Post #8   7/10/09 3:38:13PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Darnok

Posted by EpicTerran

t. I mean one fight deal, he fights the HW champion, you could easily market that ****.

Because who wants somebody to come in beat your best guy, take the belt then leave. That would be stupid.

I don't think it's stupid,I tend more to think that if the marketing and the crowd was their for Fedor then the UFC probably wouldn't hesitate as much.
I mean look at it this way,PRIDE let Chuck Liddell come over and risked losing their belt to an outside fighter.
But it made for one of the most memorable events in the history of MMA.
But at the time MMA in Japan was at a peak that we have to even see in America.

I actually think the UFC wouldn't have as much to lose as a lot of people let on.
If Fedor fought for a huge rival company that was making good numbers to counter the UFC,then that would be one thing,but Fedor just seems to float from event to event under the M1 banner.

Post #9   7/10/09 6:11:15PM