Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

BJ Penn: ‘I’m making sure not to overtrain’ for UFC 101

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,335-1,232
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“The training’s going great for UFC 101. I’m making sure not to overtrain. And, you know we started a couple months ago, and I’m training with Marv Marinovich, and we’ll be spending our last 8 weeks in California with a bunch of good training partners, with Marv Marinovich there, Jason Parillo will be there, Rudy Valentino’s gonna fly up, so I feel VERY good about this training camp…"

STORY

Post #1   7/8/09 8:40:34AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,364-1,326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Cage Potato had a good quote on this article.

Well, that’s a load off our minds. In a related story, Thiago Alves assured reporters that he wouldn't come in underweight for his fight with Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100, while Mark Coleman vowed not to be too young and vivacious for his bout with Stephan Bonnar.

Post #2   7/8/09 9:10:33AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,335-1,232
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Well, that’s a load off our minds. In a related story, Thiago Alves assured reporters that he wouldn't come in underweight for his fight with Georges St. Pierre at UFC 100, while Mark Coleman vowed not to be too young and vivacious for his bout with Stephan Bonnar.

Post #3   7/8/09 9:12:16AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I might be called a troll for this again but, I agree with whoever wrote that on Sherdog.

I'm a BJ Penn fan, but I'm done with this stuff now. I can't root for him again until I see him take this stuff seriously. His cardio looks better at 155 obviously, so he should do well against Kenny, but it's time he stopped talking about living up to his potential and actually started doing it.

EDIT: Apparently it was Cage Potato, not Sherdog. I didn't look.

Last edited 7/8/09 2:57PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   7/8/09 9:19:04AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

it's time he stopped talking about living up to his potential and actually started doing it.

Amen.

Post #5   7/8/09 9:28:45AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

When has overtraining ever been a worry when its come to Penn?

Post #6   7/8/09 9:42:34AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,064-1,158
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I might be called a troll for this again but, I agree with whoever wrote that on Sherdog.

I'm a BJ Penn fan, but I'm done with this stuff now. I can't root for him again until I see him take this stuff seriously. His cardio looks better at 155 obviously, so he should do well against Kenny, but it's time he stopped talking about living up to his potential and actually started doing it.

no trollism there! and IMO neither was that other post u made troll worthy. Totally agree with you, he should start living up to the potential he says he has.

Last edited 7/8/09 10:03AM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
2 total post edits

Post #7   7/8/09 10:02:20AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,559-801
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

damn i wish you didn't have the power to ban me, cause id really like to be a condescending smart ass but ill try to tone it down

"time he stopped talking about living up to his potential and actually started doing it."

um i think he live up to his potential with all that hes done, UFC lw and previous ww champ, rated among the top 10 p4p for the last 5 years what else can you ask for, seriously

Post #8   7/8/09 10:10:02AM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Jackelope

damn i wish you didn't have the power to ban me, cause id really like to be a condescending smart ass but ill try to tone it down

"time he stopped talking about living up to his potential and actually started doing it."

um i think he live up to his potential with all that hes done, UFC lw and previous ww champ, rated among the top 10 p4p for the last 5 years what else can you ask for, seriously

He's done a lot thats for sure, but you've got to be completely one sided and bias to not realise he's done that nearly all on god given talent. On the flipside, you have a guy like GSP who excels in everything he does and is also a natural (arguably not as much as BJ though) but he trains his socks off. He goes from camp to camp, is not stubborn in his ways and just wants to evolve and be considered as the best ever. From BJ's point of view, he talks the talk but does he walk it? Questionable especially during the last tv spot UFC did for BJ vs GSP and when he was supposed to be training he was off in a supermarket or something. I'm not in a position to question his training, i've not seen it all...but from what I have seen of his training compared to GSP's i think its clear who has the most desire to evolve to another level than any other fighter has even though imo they both have the same potential levels.

Post #9   7/8/09 10:36:20AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,418-775
Chips:
This made me laugh when I read it. I would truly like to see an over trained BJ Penn but I think its hard to over train sitting in a hot tub and hanging out on the beach. All kidding aside this has never been an issue for BJ and I would feel much better if he had said I making sure to not under train. BJ has so much talent but not the drive to truly use it to its fullest.

Post #10   7/8/09 1:39:05PM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

I think the answer to this question is:

Posted by telnights
BJ has so much talent but not the drive to truly use it to its fullest.

In nearly all of BJ Penns losses, he seemed to lose because he quit not because the other fighter beat him. He is consistently rated as one of the best PFP champions because of what he has done in his wins in which he looked unstoppable against the highest level competition. But the way he loses makes people, including myself, frustrated. He should be the best in the world. His skill level is ridiculous.

Let's get that part clear. He is unmatched in a lot of areas skill wise. But that's not good enough, you need to have the heart of a champion in that cage and that's the part that BJ seems to be lacking sometimes. There's absolutely no question about that, he flat out has not shown up to some of his fights.

Post #11   7/8/09 1:51:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by Jackelope

Go ahead. I'm not scared and I don't abuse my power. If someone can come at me with some decent logic to rebut my points I'm all for it. Now, if you resort to calling me an idiot or any other poster an idiot, then I have a problem with it. Let's get one thing very clear- I'm here to debate and be a part of this community just as much as any regular poster is. The only difference is that I actually believe in and have the power to enforce the website's rules. So, now that the gloves are off, what have you got?

As I said in the original post, I'm a fan of BJ Penn. I consider his career to be wildly successful at this point. However, I think it could have been even more successful than it already is if only he had the heart and determination that we've seen from others. Imagine BJ Penn with Clay Guida's work ethic and cardio. I don't see hardly any other fighters out there that would be able to compete with that.

I know people who know BJ personally, and I am very close friends with a guy who grew up with BJ Penn. This has been the story of BJ's life. I'm sure he could kick the living crap out of me or almost anybody I know, but the fact remains that while he is one of the best, he is not the greatest. He could be. But he doesn't work hard enough. See him gassing in the 3rd round against GSP for a reference.

Post #12   7/8/09 2:40:10PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Here are a few more that I thought of. lol

GSP promised to switch to body glide instead of vaseline
Brock promised to have a staph infection in order to give Mir a chance in the stand up
Akiyama said he would try not to be sexy
Mac Danzig would go out with his opponent after the fight and get a steak
Bisping promised to lose his British accent so Zuffa would not have to subtitle his prefight interviews and press conference

Last edited 7/8/09 2:55PM server time by Rush

Post #13   7/8/09 2:54:54PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by FlashyG

Here are a few more that I thought of. lol

GSP promised to switch to body glide instead of vaseline
Brock promised to have a staph infection in order to give Mir a chance in the stand up
Akiyama said he would try not to be sexy
Mac Danzig would go out with his opponent after the fight and get a steak
Bisping promised to lose his British accent so Zuffa would not have to subtitle his prefight interviews and press conference

Actually, the logic is that the person is trying to not do something they've never done (ie, do what they've always done, via double negative). So, your jokes would be:

GSP promised to not come into a fight so dry and easy to grip
Brock promised to not focus too much on his BJJ to give Mir a chance
Akiyama said he would try not to be lame
Mac Danzig would go out with his opponent after the fight and get a salad
Bisping promised to try and lose his American accent so he can sound more British

Post #14   7/8/09 3:49:54PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Alex

Actually, the logic is that the person is trying to not do something they've never done (ie, do what they've always done, via double negative). So, your jokes would be:

Actually thinking about it a little more, I think you're not totally correct either. There is no double negative in the way you described and the logic appears different in the various examples.

BJ - He is not doing something he has never done
Colman - He is not doing something that he has done
Alves - He is promising to not do something that he has never done

My versions
GSP - Doing something regarding something that he has never done (IMO grease)
Brock - Getting something he has never had
Akiyama - Not doing something he always does
Mac - Doing something he never does
Bisping - Doing something he hasn't done

I liked your Brock and Akiyama ones, but your MAc and Bisping ones didn't work , even by your logic

MAybe the logic should be not do something that they COULDN'T do.

BJ wouldn't overtrain
Alves wouldn't come underweight
Colman wouldn't be young
GSP - I guess it's a bad example based on the fact that the outcome is determined by opinion
Brock - Not to get too good at BJJ
Akiyama wouldn't be boring
Mac wouldn't be eating steak
Bisping wouldn't speak with an American accent

Last edited 7/8/09 6:15PM server time by Rush
4 total post edits

Post #15   7/8/09 3:51:30PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2