Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Randy Couture: Georges St. Pierre Will Be Too Much for Thiago Alves

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The hype for UFC 100 hit ESPN Monday morning, but it was a fighter who's not on the card -- Randy Couture -- who appeared on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike in the Morning to promote Saturday night's fights. Couture had some interesting comments about the welterweight title fight between Georges St Pierre and Thiago Alves.

STORY

Post #1   7/6/09 10:29:37AM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
GSP's Background is Kyokushin Karate, which is very different from the Shotokan Karate style Machida is using.

You can see the difference pretty easy in these videos. Kyokushin Karate is a full contact sport (except for punches to the head) where you take a lot of punishment. it's more of a last man standing ruling system.
And Shotokan Tournaments instead are with a point ruling system where only light contact is allowed. Only the first blow with perfect technique is awarded with points and the fight is stopped imidiately. Tactics, distance and also technique of fighting is pretty different here. Check out the videos:

Kyokushin Karate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK-23qBlMpg

World Cup Final 2006

Point Karate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnX0Kzbc0lc&feature=related

Word Cup Final 2006

Machida on a Shotokan World Cup Tournament

Post #2   7/6/09 11:36:56AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
well randy is always good picking fighters to win, i still don't know who to pick, i want gsp but something tells me alves will knock him out serra style
i don't know still

Post #3   7/6/09 10:31:48PM