Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Maia ready for title shot with UFC 102 win

Print  
Posted By Message

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,646-884
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Demian Maia is in the mix of fighters who are in contention for the UFC middleweight belt. Despite his upcoming fight versus Nate Marquardt, the jiu jitsu expert had some words for the current champion Anderson Silva.

“I see myself ready to fight for the belt. There are some things that I think about facing Anderson... He’s very good standing, in the clinch and knows how to play in all areas. I’d have to do my best being aggressive for sure, if I want I take the fight to the mat,” he said this week.

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=2691&offset=0

I know a lot of people are taking Nate cuz his stand up is wicked, and he's a beast of a man...

But how can you not love Maia? His MMA BJJ is probably the best in the world, and he always wants to win without hurting his opponent.

I'll be pulling for him against Nate...

WAR MAIA

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #1   7/2/09 7:51:03PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
It's so hard to tell when you have a powerhouse wrestler like Marquardt against a guy who is almost sure to be physically and positionally dominated in Maia.

But damn does that guy have a fierce guard offence!

I gotta go with Maia in the 2ed, and if it doesn't happen before the third I see razor thin decision for Marquardt. An if Marquardt gets the decision I think Anderson kills him again in similar fashion only delayed.

P.S.- I think Maia should be a 50 50 shot against Silva. I might pick him to win if he subs Nate impressively.

Last edited 7/2/09 8:01PM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/2/09 7:59:50PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm a fan of both guys and this will be by far Maia's toughest fight yet. I wont mind either guy winning but I feel Maia has the better chance against Anderson but I'm not so sure Maia can beat Nate. Ever since Nate's loss to Anderson he has looked really good and his only loss wasn't really a loss. Now Maia's ground game is the best I have ever seen hands down but will he be able to use it on Nate who has great BJJ defense and his last loss by Sub was Almeida over 6 years ago. He has since got with great camp and has very much improved his game. Since then he has faced some very strong BJJ fighters with the likes of Gouveia, Leites, Horn, and Lister. So I'm leaning towards Nate by UD.

Post #3   7/2/09 8:11:12PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'm probably going to take Marquardt in this one. So far he's made a hell of a run against great grapplers as Telnights mentioned.

I do agree that Maia is probably the best grappler in MMA today just based off of what we've seen from him so far. It's going to be really interesting seeing him against top competition.

Post #4   7/2/09 8:23:07PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I am rooting for Demian Maia all the way. He just epitomizes the martial arts spirit in my opinion. His BJJ is top of the food chain, maybe only second to Souza--but as far as adapted to MMA, he's the man.

That said, Marquardt strikes me as a very cerebral fighter. He's just not going to make any mistakes, and he's jacked. I mean a really big MW, and it's going to be really difficult to drag him down to the ground.

I love these 50/50 fights, it's just so difficult to choose.

Post #5   7/2/09 8:33:01PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
If Maia can beat Nate then he definately deserves a title shot......If he can sub Nate i think he would have a damn good chance at beating Anderson....

Post #6   7/2/09 9:19:25PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think Maia is going to have his ass handed to him on a platter. His JJ is amazing and I love watching him fight, but I just think Nate is the more complete fighter right now.

Post #7   7/2/09 9:28:58PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He needs to get by Marquardt first, which will absolutely not be an easy task the way Nate has been performing.

Post #8   7/2/09 11:47:00PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
both are AWESOME, simply two of the best for sure but someone has to win and I have to pick someone so I'm going with Nate and then Nate to take the title after that

Post #9   7/3/09 9:59:46AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

I am rooting for Demian Maia all the way. He just epitomizes the martial arts spirit in my opinion. His BJJ is top of the food chain, maybe only second to Souza--but as far as adapted to MMA, he's the man.

That said, Marquardt strikes me as a very cerebral fighter. He's just not going to make any mistakes, and he's jacked. I mean a really big MW, and it's going to be really difficult to drag him down to the ground.

I love these 50/50 fights, it's just so difficult to choose.

I used to think of Marquardt as a cerebral fighter as well. Then his match with Thales Leites really made me question that.

Post #10   7/3/09 2:10:56PM