Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 100: Frank Mir Concerned About Brock Lesnar's Reach

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Frank Mir is getting ready to fight a 275-pound behemoth when he takes on Brock Lesnar for the heavyweight title at UFC 100. But Mir's biggest concern isn't Lesnar's weight. It's Lesnar's reach.

"I can point out why I think Brock has been successful at striking because we've actually had to address that in my training camp," Mir said on a call to promote UFC 100. "Brock's reach for his height is actually long. A lot of people don't realize that. They talk about his size, his power. Brock is almost 6-foot-4 ... his reach is actually really long. I remember even watching when he beat Randy, and he slipped that punch from Brock. He thought that he was out of the way, and that punch kept on coming, it kept on coming, and it kept on coming. And finally it just caught him and he went down."

Mir added that he had to find sparring partners who are taller than Lesnar so he could practice trading punches with someone who had the same arm length as Lesnar.

CLICK

Post #1   7/2/09 10:16:39AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
i wonder who he found that was 6 foot 8 tim silvia? that would be funny especially since mir tore his arm off.

Post #2   7/2/09 11:19:20AM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
Smart thinking by Mir. I think Brock will like his chances on their feet.

Post #3   7/2/09 11:59:08AM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
Its a close one on who's the biggest douche out of these two but im going from Brock. Hope Mir proves technique beats power.

Post #4   7/2/09 5:24:22PM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:
I'm embarassed to have Lesnar as my Heavyweight champion, I'm hoping Mir takes a limb home with him and mounts it on his wall.

Post #5   7/2/09 5:52:10PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:

Posted by Macheetah

I'm embarassed to have Lesnar as my Heavyweight champion, I'm hoping Mir takes a limb home with him and mounts it on his wall.

Why are you embarassed? Because he's an ex-pro wrestler? Because he got a title shot after two fight? It's not like other people haven't got undeserving title shots before.

Post #6   7/2/09 6:12:39PM   

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

Posted by Macheetah

Why are you embarassed? Because he's an ex-pro wrestler? Because he got a title shot after two fight? It's not like other people haven't got undeserving title shots before.

Hit the nail on the head, I think he is bad for the sport.

Post #7   7/2/09 6:23:20PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,358-751
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Macheetah
Hit the nail on the head, I think he is bad for the sport.

How do think he is bad for the sport?

Being x-pro wrestler just means he is bringing fans over to MMA which is never bad.

He is a very accomplished amateur wrestler. MMA has tons of wrestlers in it and just because he was a pro wrestler shouldn't discount his accomplishments or the fact he has proved he can hang at this level. What more do you expect of the guy with only 2 years training he was able to beat Herring and Randy soundly and that should prove to everyone he belongs in the UFC. Its not like he was a drug dealer, murderer, or a evil Dutch pimp. He just worked in pro wrestling for a while and anyone probably would have done what he did if offered the amount of money he was right out of school. If anything it should show how much he loves the sport that he was willing to walk away from the huge amount of money he was making in Pro wrestling to try Pro football and MMA. This speaks highly of the guys hunger for competition and shows just how far this sport has come.

Post #8   7/2/09 8:34:08PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by telnights

evil Dutch pimp

Months after the fact, you've finally officially earned your title as a moderator

Post #9   7/2/09 8:38:09PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I kind of actually get the "bad for the sport theory". I don't agree but I get where that comes from.

It just comes down to these big huge athletic guys that can overcome technique. If Frank wins, it kind of feels like a win for martial arts--much in the same way that Royce was beating up 260lb wrestlers back in the day. If Brock wins, I suppose it just kind of reflects that big muscle heads can beat the crap out of you no matter how long you've been studying martial arts.

Post #10   7/2/09 8:39:41PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

It just comes down to these big huge athletic guys that can overcome technique. If Frank wins, it kind of feels like a win for martial arts--much in the same way that Royce was beating up 260lb wrestlers back in the day. If Brock wins, I suppose it just kind of reflects that big muscle heads can beat the crap out of you no matter how long you've been studying martial arts.

That's exactly what it is. All of us martial arts nerds out there are rooting for Mir harder than ever. I find myself somewhat torn because I lifted weights, wrestled and played football in HS, so I understand the jock mentality, but at the same time- after high school I fell deeply in love with traditional martial arts.

As Brock continues to show more and more dedication to the sport I earn more and more respect for him. At the beginning I was strongly against him, but he came back from adversity (losing to Mir) and handled his business like a man. So he earned points from me there, and continues to do so to this day.

I think in the end we will see that a perfect marriage of dedication to the physical and mental aspects of the game combined with the right amount of finesse and aggression will make the perfect fighter. People like GSP already do a good job of showing just how dominant someone with this toolset can be.

Post #11   7/2/09 8:45:25PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Based purely on the fact that Brock is an accomplished amateur wrestler, I don't think you can pin the stigma on him of being just a "strong guy". There are a lot of guys in all the weight divisions that do not appear to have much technique and who tend to power (or try to) into their offense and defense. Why is it that Brock only gets the stigma?

I like seeing technique being used more than most MMA fans, but at the same time you cannot deny that technique and power can and do coexist, especially in the HW division. In the sense for how it is expressed in this and other threads, there is another way to think about the strength issue. If guys cannot beat a big strong fighter then doesn't that say that something is lacking in their technique? Why is it the "fault" of the big guy? IMO, big strong guys are a dime a dozen, but very few of them would be able to win a fight in the octagon based on their size and strength.

Another thing I would like to add is that this isn't the old days were a 300 lb guy is fighting a guy under 200 lbs. Frank Mir has his opportunity to bulk up and get stronger and/or heavier to try and nullify Brock's size advantage. That is basically part of the sport, especially in the HW division where the range of weights is so big.

I still feel that the reason people dislike Brock or think he is bad for the sport comes down to the fact that people don't like the fact a) that he used to be a professional wrestler and b) the fact that someone with that history came into the octagon and embarrassed two (nearly three) MMA veterans, one being a legend and won the title. To be honest, most of it comes off as bitterness in my eyes.

Mir added that he had to find sparring partners who are taller than Lesnar so he could practice trading punches with someone who had the same arm length as Lesnar.

And as for this, sparring with a tall guy with long arms is not the same as sparring with a guy with the same arm length, but a little shorter. If Brock is smart he'll be pumping his jab out there to make Mir come in on him. I don't think Brock has to worry about being taken down or knocked out and I don't think Mir will get the reset this time. He's in for a rough night.

Last edited 7/2/09 9:25PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   7/2/09 9:21:54PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I'm kinda confused don't they measuer finger tip to finger tip across the chest ? wouldn't that make Brocks reach shorter then the numbers reflect due to the massive chest he carries? Are these simply mind games by Mir like how he wasn't training for Nog and how he was hurt for that fight? Just a thought. I might be wrong on the measrement too but I thought thats how they do it.

Post #13   7/2/09 11:07:22PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by postman

I'm kinda confused don't they measuer finger tip to finger tip across the chest ? wouldn't that make Brocks reach shorter then the numbers reflect due to the massive chest he carries? Are these simply mind games by Mir like how he wasn't training for Nog and how he was hurt for that fight? Just a thought. I might be wrong on the measrement too but I thought thats how they do it.

reach is middle finger to middle finger.....and actually Mir WAS hurt for the Nog fight the reports came out afterwords Mir had a hurt back, and knee trouble, Nog had a Staph infection.......This fight was orginally scheduled for may at UFC 97 i beleive but was put back because of Mir's injury's......so he wasnt playing mind games he was telling the truth......

Post #14   7/3/09 6:23:07AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by postman

That's what I've heard, but I think it is a useless statistic because it really only means something if the numbers are really different. I really think they should look at fist to chin distance of an outstretched arm.

Also, I get the feeling that they embellish some of these numbers because I refuse to believe that some of these guys that are 4 inches shorter than me have the same reach because I have gorilla arms.

Post #15   7/3/09 6:55:05AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2