Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Carwin vs. Velazquez

Print  
Carwin vs. Velasquez
Carwin ko/tko 46 68%
Carwin sub 0 0%
Carwin decision 4 6%
Velasquez ko/tko 8 12%
Velasquez sub 0 0%
Velasquez decision 10 15%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DangerousDjohn

MMA Regular

Career:448-248
Chips:
I think this is too early for Cain...I think he will be a better fighter than Carwin, I just wouldnt bet he is right now. My money is on Carwin, but Im pulling for Cain.

Post #16   7/3/09 12:21:54AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,433-855
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by DangerousDjohn

I think this is too early for Cain...I think he will be a better fighter than Carwin, I just wouldnt bet he is right now. My money is on Carwin, but Im pulling for Cain.

Agreed. This is too early for Velasquez, although he could win this fight.
Agreed. Velazquez is the better of the two overall.

But I'm definitely pulling for Carwin to score another one-punch KO, and considering his power I'd say that's fairly likely.

Post #17   7/4/09 7:26:06AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think a lot of people are picking Carwin based on the fact that Cain got rocked more than once by Kongo and that Carwin hits hard. I agree at this point, but hopefully Cain was taking notes from the Kongo fight and will work on his footwork so he can get in without eating shots that that.

Make no mistake, Cain is strong given his size. Kongo is probably one of the strongest HWs in the UFC and Cain was taking him down at will. Cain would certainly not have as easy of a time taking down a decent wrestler, but I think, despite his smaller size, he can compete with the larger HWs. He just needs to keep from taking shots.

Post #18   7/4/09 9:38:51AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Velasquez got dropped like what three times when he fought kongo? Carwin has heavy heavy hands and i think all he needs is one big punch to put Cain to sleep.

Post #19   7/5/09 10:29:18AM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
I think Carwin's striking is vastly overrated.

his unspectacular striking is outshined by how brutally he finishes his opponents.

lets break down his 3 fights in the ufcs.

1st fight vs christian wellisch

he threw the 1-2 combo about 6 or 7 times, to the same spot, and wellisch was too thick in the head to realize it and didn't take advantage, it was terrible. watch it again.

2nd fight vs neil wain.

neil wain threw bombs and stepped in and went right through carwin and rocked him and seemed like he was winning until carwin threw a desperation shot and took him down. if wain knew a thing about wrestling or what a treadmill is, we might have a different winner.

3rd fight vs gonzaga.

got caught early on, and did things like almost run forward, footwork needs vast improvement. and he throws heavy hands, so if you get caught your going down, especially if you dont have a great chin like gonzaga.

i expect cain velazquez to be able to outstike, outwrestle, and out cardio carwin.

if this fight goes the full distance, i don't expect carwin to have better cardio than velazquez.

velazquez takes this fight everywhere it goes, his only chance at a loss is if he gets caught, but unless he gets caught full force, i don't see a 1 punch ko, and velazquez able to recover.

x factor is aka fought carwin before, in the wellisch fight, and they will already be well versed in his strategy, and know how to take advantage, which is striking, which is what velazquez should be working.

velazquez by ko/tko in the 1st.

if you disagree,

bodog odds

shane carwin -135
velazquez +105

its implied by the -135 that if shane carwin is to win the fight around 56-57% you have odds that you will make money if he wins it oh say the 69% of the time that this website predicts he will. dont argue, just go bet, i want velazquez to win me some money.

Post #20   7/6/09 12:08:01PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
im picking cain, I think carwin might be better right now but I think cain has a much brighter future. He reminds alot of Couture and how he used to work guys over on the ground early in his career.

Post #21   7/6/09 12:15:51PM   

poll77

MMA Regular

poll77 Avatar

Career:29-23
Camp: Team Havoc
Chips:
carwin via ko rd 1

Post #22   7/7/09 1:15:01AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2