Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jamie Varner to be stripped of belt; Cerrone vs. Henderson will be for WEC lightweight title

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It appears as though current WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner may be forced to the sidelines indefinitely.

According to a recent report on Vindy.com, WEC founder and general manager Reed Harris said that Varner may never fight again due to the broken foot and hand sustained in his previous bout with Donald Cerrone.

That match-up was cut short when Cerrone struck a downed Varner in the face with an illegal knee in the fifth round. When it was ruled that the defending champion was unable to continue, the fight went to the scorecards where Varner came away with the split decision victory.

It has been reported that the WEC plans to strip Varner of his title shortly.

A previously announced bout between Cerrone and has bee promoted to a title fight to determine the new WEC lightweight champion.

The fight will be the main event at WEC 43 which is set for September 2 in Youngstown, Ohio.

Link

Post #1   6/30/09 1:59:12PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Good call.

Post #2   6/30/09 2:29:00PM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by MMA-San

Good call.

I wondering how long it would take for this to happen. At least an interim belt if not stripping Varner.

Hope Ben Henderson brings his "A" game against the Cowboy, he'll need it.

update though from the Junkie:

Varner not to be stripped of title

Last edited 6/30/09 3:17PM server time by babytater03
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/30/09 3:14:39PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
if varner isnt able to compete again thats really sad, the guy is young and very talented and i hate to see anyones career cut short. henderson is a good fighter, im not sure hes as good as the cowboy at this point, plus cerrone seems to have a chip on his shoulder right now and i think thats a bad thing for whoever he faces.

Post #4   6/30/09 3:17:07PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by babytater03

Posted by MMA-San

Good call.

I wondering how long it would take for this to happen. At least an interim belt if not stripping Varner.

it seems like they would change the opponent, Henderson does not desearve a shot at the iterim or real LW title. It should be Marcus Hicks or Cleat Crunkleton or obviously Razor Rob he is the ex-champion, heck I bet someone in the UFC would want a WEC title shot. Sure Ben has beat the Octopus and Roller but that is not much and he has no name recoginiton. Title shots should be special!

Post #5   6/30/09 3:23:10PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
If he truly cant return then there is no need to "strip" him of the title, let him retire. It sounds more like a disciplinary action than anything and its BS IMO here we have a fighter with a legitimate injury who cant get the benefit of the doubt for a few extra months?

I think its shoddy to strip him or even create a interim title at this point. ITS A COMBAT SPORT people are going to get hurt and need some recovery time. I find it hard to believe they cant fix his hand and foot, I think its the recovery time they are flaking about.

It just seems odd to me Randy can up and say eh Im not fighting because Im mad at Dana and they gave him his belt back but Varner has a injury and they want to give his belt away, horrible way to treat a fighter IMO.

Last edited 6/30/09 3:49PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   6/30/09 3:47:59PM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

If he truly cant return then there is no need to "strip" him of the title, let him retire. It sounds more like a disciplinary action than anything and its BS IMO here we have a fighter with a legitimate injury who cant get the benefit of the doubt for a few extra months?

I think its shoddy to strip him or even create a interim title at this point. ITS A COMBAT SPORT people are going to get hurt and need some recovery time. I find it hard to believe they cant fix his hand and foot, I think its the recovery time they are flaking about.

It just seems odd to me Randy can up and say eh Im not fighting because Im mad at Dana and they gave him his belt back but Varner has a injury and they want to give his belt away, horrible way to treat a fighter IMO.

I agree 100%. WEC comes out looking shitty on this one.

Post #7   6/30/09 3:52:23PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
No he won't check out the new thread by yours truly

Post #8   6/30/09 4:09:14PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by babytater03

Posted by MMA-San

Good call.

it seems like they would change the opponent, Henderson does not desearve a shot at the iterim or real LW title. It should be Marcus Hicks or Cleat Crunkleton or obviously Razor Rob he is the ex-champion, heck I bet someone in the UFC would want a WEC title shot. Sure Ben has beat the Octopus and Roller but that is not much and he has no name recoginiton. Title shots should be special!

yeah special is being 0-2 in your last two fights.

Post #9   6/30/09 7:49:10PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Yea, but he's the best fighter in the division besides Cerrone and Varner...title fights should be special because the fighters that fight for them are good enough to be champion.

Cerrone beat Rob, and Rob just recently beat Hicks...Roller was going to be next in line but lost to Benson.

Post #10   6/30/09 8:10:07PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by MMA-San

Yea, but he's the best fighter in the division besides Cerrone and Varner...title fights should be special because the fighters that fight for them are good enough to be champion.

Cerrone beat Rob, and Rob just recently beat Hicks...Roller was going to be next in line but lost to Benson.

I agree, and I think it's clear that Hicks just simply isn't up to these guys level. Nor is McCullough anymore.

Out with the old and in with the new. Henderson is a legit prospect. I knew it when I first saw him fight at a local show a long time ago.

Post #11   6/30/09 9:37:52PM