Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

stupid question on following mma books

Print  
Posted By Message

shs101

Learning to Sprawl

Career:5-5
Chips:
dum question, but i just got a mma book. just shows strikes and stuff. But theres so much to look at at one time, how do i follow and practicethese movexs,how do you guy read and follow your books

Post #1   6/28/09 6:49:57PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
i usually find myself buying more than i can handle when it comes to Martial art books, but what i like to do is pick a two or three moves and drill them until i can execute them in sparring and so i have them down, so i don't practice them a few times and then forget.

Last edited 6/28/09 11:26PM server time by bigbubbano23
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   6/28/09 11:25:56PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Its been mentioned several times on here, but learning from books and/or videos is a mistake if you don't have a solid base to build on. You need to learn basic skills from someone with a watchful eye so you don't develop poor mechanics which are extrodinarily difficult to deal with later on down the road.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #3   6/29/09 9:43:47AM   

shs101

Learning to Sprawl

Career:5-5
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Its been mentioned several times on here, but learning from books and/or videos is a mistake if you don't have a solid base to build on. You need to learn basic skills from someone with a watchful eye so you don't develop poor mechanics which are extrodinarily difficult to deal with later on down the road.

I have a base, i boxed for 2 years n just started muay thai. The question was, in the books theres just so much to look at, i dont know where to start or how i should apporach it.

Post #4   6/29/09 11:05:00AM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:

Posted by shs101

Posted by Svartorm

I have a base, i boxed for 2 years n just started muay thai. The question was, in the books theres just so much to look at, i dont know where to start or how i should apporach it.

Stick with the parts that you know would be my advice. For example, whenever I pick up an MMA training book I look to see if there is anything related to the grappling areas that are new to me or are showing a variation I haven't seen before. Since this is my "area of expertise", so to speak.

The striking I don't really bother to use simply because this is not my area of expertise and I would need someone with more experience to critique my application of the technique while practicing it.

For you, I would think you would be the reverse...stick to the parts related to striking and worry about the grappling techniques when you've had some time to get instruction from a qualified person.

Post #5   6/29/09 12:10:55PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well books don't hurt to read but I would never use a book to train. Now I may be biased as I'm a part time trainer but books have a way of making people think they are doing things right and just ends up causing them to build bad habits in the end.

Post #6   6/30/09 12:03:38AM