Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White comments on Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

randyleprechaun

MMA Regular

randyleprechaun Avatar

Career:68-36
Chips:
Irritated by the criticism pugilist Floyd Mayweather Jr. made about MMA and the UFC, and mainly Chuck Liddell, White went public in defending his brood.

“Mayweather said he would give a million dollars if Chuck would defeat a good boxing heavyweight. What about paying one million to see if a good heavyweight can stand up to Liddell in MMA? Or even better, I will put down a milllion dollars of my own money
if Mayweather could sell 10 tickets without the help of Oscar de la Hoya,” said White, referring to the fight between Mayweather and De La Hoya, a success in terms of spectators, set for May 5th.

After his irritation had subsided White talked of the initial comparison Mayweather had made: “Boxing and MMA are completely different. You distribute your weight differently, since you have to worry about takedowns and kicks. Boxing and MMA are like apples and oranges,” he completed.

source: http://www.graciemag.com/?c=144&a=6785

Post #1   4/4/07 4:08:43PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Good find. Thanks

Good that Dana stands up for the sport. I like him more and more.

Post #2   4/4/07 4:14:32PM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
"will put down a milllion dollars of my own money
if Mayweather could sell 10 tickets without the help of Oscar de la Hoya" lol completely true ,, boxing islmost a dead sport and mayweather soule realize that

Post #3   4/4/07 4:52:49PM   

Fumar-Fortiuse

Learning to Sprawl

Fumar-Fortiuse Avatar

Career:18-15
Chips:
Ok, I understand where you guys are coming from. Mayweather shouldn't of said the things he said but Dana White doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I can promise you guys that Mayweather doesn't need Oscar to sell his fight. If you guys pay any attention to boxing Mayweather could be one of if not the greatest of all time. The kid is undefeated with over forty fights under is belt. Rather you like boxing or not you have to respect that. And I have to be honest if Mayweather could make Lidell's weight I would take that bet and put up a million bucks I don't even have. You guys might think Chuck is the greatest thing since sliced bread but if he were to stand with Mayweather I'm happy to say he would get laid out in an Octagon or a Ring. Hell I would hate to take a punch from Mayweather with just a 6 ounce glove.

Post #4   4/4/07 5:00:33PM   

Fumar-Fortiuse

Learning to Sprawl

Fumar-Fortiuse Avatar

Career:18-15
Chips:
My bad guys I messed up Mayweather's stats. He is 37-0 with 24 kos. Pretty sick if you ask me.

Post #5   4/4/07 5:16:18PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

Ok, I understand where you guys are coming from. Mayweather shouldn't of said the things he said but Dana White doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. I can promise you guys that Mayweather doesn't need Oscar to sell his fight. If you guys pay any attention to boxing Mayweather could be one of if not the greatest of all time. The kid is undefeated with over forty fights under is belt. Rather you like boxing or not you have to respect that. And I have to be honest if Mayweather could make Lidell's weight I would take that bet and put up a million bucks I don't even have. You guys might think Chuck is the greatest thing since sliced bread but if he were to stand with Mayweather I'm happy to say he would get laid out in an Octagon or a Ring. Hell I would hate to take a punch from Mayweather with just a 6 ounce glove.

i think Dana was referring to alot of flack that Mayweather got for riding out the decision with Baldomir (sp?)... MMA and Boxing fans may not have a lot in common, but no one likes to see a supremely talented fighter run around a ring for the last 15 min of a fight just to get the W.

And Dana does make a very good point... It's not as simple as boxing, you have to distribute your weight differently, and cannot rely solely on striking, w/o acknowledging the possibility of a TD...

Post #6   4/4/07 5:25:24PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

Mayweather is a great boxer. BOXER that is. I would love to see Mayweather step into the octagon and take Liddell on in a MMA fight.I'd bet a million on LIddell. In a boxing match, I would take Mayweather.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #7   4/4/07 5:39:19PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
How about boxing with no gloves. I'd take Liddell.

Post #8   4/4/07 5:42:52PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
mayweather would whoop liddel cage or ring.. liddel is mostly one dimensional and leans towards striking..

if mayweather fought shogun or someone more well rounded he would definatly lose

Post #9   4/4/07 5:53:55PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Hmmm...Floyd(natural lightweight 140lbs) or Liddell (natural 215 more less)...thats pretty unfair for an MMA match........i would like to see Floyd against someone like Spencer Fisher,or Jens Pulver or even Gomi........I would put my money on Floyd...

That guy is quick....his fight will prolly look like when Mark Hominick fought Jorge Gurgel at Fight Night 5......when Hominick picked Gurgel apart from the outside and Gurgel could never even get close to him........alot of people saw it as Hominick being a coward,but that was the best gameplan for him to come up with the W.......

Post #10   4/4/07 6:11:15PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Mayweather is a world class fighter, im sure he could knock out Gomi, Pulver, and Fisher.

But kudos to Dana White for hitting Mayweather right back. UFC is not gonna get trash talked by a sport should be taking notes from MMA.

Post #11   4/4/07 6:34:40PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

In no way is Mayweather the greatest boxer of all time. Boxing has way to much emphasis on the record, because its a way to sell fighters to ignorant fans. Record isnt everything. As good as he is, Mayweather isnt Ali. He isnt Sugar Ray Leonard, Rocky Marciano or Jake Lamotta.

Post #12   4/4/07 6:38:19PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

In no way is Mayweather the greatest boxer of all time. Boxing has way to much emphasis on the record, because its a way to sell fighters to ignorant fans. Record isnt everything. As good as he is, Mayweather isnt Ali. He isnt Sugar Ray Leonard, Rocky Marciano or Jake Lamotta.

I think Mayweather is better than those you mentioned(not in the same weight class though) but pound for pound this guy is great!...of course Jake,Rocky,and Ali were tough,but when it comes to skill the sport has changed....same with MMA....I just think todays fighters are something else compared to back then

Post #13   4/4/07 7:20:18PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

mayweather would whoop liddel cage or ring.. liddel is mostly one dimensional and leans towards striking..

if mayweather fought shogun or someone more well rounded he would definatly lose

Seriously? If they fought right now in an MMA match!? You don't think Chuck has a head on his shoulders that he can think with? He would ******* break Mayweathers legs with low kicks. Especially with that reach and weight advantage.

Post #14   4/4/07 7:40:57PM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,387-1,677
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. who?
Exactly.