Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Georges St. Pierre, Thiago Alves: Two Huge Welterweights at UFC 100

Print  
Posted By Message

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
UFC welterweight champion Georges St Pierre and No. 1 contender Thiago Alves, who will meet at UFC 100, aren't just the top two welterweights in the UFC. They might also be the two biggest. On a call Thursday to promote their upcoming fight, St. Pierre and Alves said they both weigh more than 190 pounds right now, just over two weeks out from a UFC 100 weigh-in for which they'll have to tip the scales at 170.

CLICK

Post #1   6/25/09 3:13:46PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Not an issue for GSP. However, Alves has missed weight before. As soon ashtis fight was announced that was my concern: Can Alves even make weight and if so, how much will the cut affect him? Correct me if I am wr-wr-wr incorrect but if memory serves title fights don't even permit the usual 1 lb allowance. The difference in that 16 oz is potentially going into the 4th round of a title fight and feeding pigeons at the park with Travis Lutter. I have the feeling that the weight cut and the wrecking ball that GSP has been is going to be too much for him in the end.

-OUT-

Post #2   6/25/09 5:26:45PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
In a difference direction- Alves is the most skilled fighter he has fought??
RRRRREEEEAAALLLLY!!

Alves is a bad ass- but not more skilled than BJ- possibly not more "skilled" than fitch- Alves is a big dude and if if he makes weight- will lose badly to Gsp as his cut will burn him out before rd 3.....Gsp will not Slug with him and will wear him down wrestling rd 1 and 2

as long as we dont see a big punch early....GSP - all the way-

Post #3   6/25/09 11:27:05PM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:

Posted by Cdellorso

In a difference direction- Alves is the most skilled fighter he has fought??
RRRRREEEEAAALLLLY!!

Alves is a bad ass- but not more skilled than BJ- possibly not more "skilled" than fitch- Alves is a big dude and if if he makes weight- will lose badly to Gsp as his cut will burn him out before rd 3.....Gsp will not Slug with him and will wear him down wrestling rd 1 and 2

as long as we dont see a big punch early....GSP - all the way-

Hahaha my thoughts exactly... My guess and u heard it first i don't think one of them one of them are going to make weight.

Post #4   6/25/09 11:55:02PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I agree... Alves is built for a 3 round all out war, not a 5 round war of attrition. The longer this fight goes the more it favors GSP. As with most any fight he takes.

That being said- mark my words- Alves will be very dangerous in the first two rounds. Knees, knees, knees.

Post #5   6/26/09 12:27:27AM