Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jamie Varner Still Injured, Interim WEC Lightweight Belt Possible

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jamie Varner posted a tweet on the status of his injury:

I just got out of the Docs and hand is still fractured. I'm really upset. I thought I was ready, my hand doesn't even hurt, but the doc pulled the rug out from my feet...

STORY

Post #1   6/24/09 4:10:16PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
cerrone is going to say varner is ducking him hehehe.

Post #2   6/24/09 4:18:08PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Need to make an interim belt because everyone is prolly sick of waiting for Varner.

Post #3   6/24/09 4:46:01PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
By the time varners hand heals Cowboy will have already fought twice probably winning the interim belt

ring rust will set in and cowboy will beat varner

COWBOYYY

Post #4   6/24/09 4:58:06PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,487-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

probably, more fuel to the fire isnt a bad thing for promoting the fight though. who do they toss at cerrone for the interm title match? between the 2 of them they pretty much cleaned out the bulk of the WEC LW divisions top contenders.

Post #5   6/24/09 5:21:45PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
That really sucks. I like Varner myself and was looking forward to the rematch. Now I have to wait even longer. I do think they should make a Interim Lightweight belt though. That title has been undefended for a long time now. Varner is going to have ring rust when he gets back.

Post #6   6/24/09 5:48:50PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
I say bring Rich Clementi in to the WEC to fight Cerrone for the interim belt.

Post #7   6/24/09 7:08:13PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There's a few fighters already on the WEC roster that could provide some competition for Cerrone, should there be an interim lightweight belt. I'd like to see him matched up against Anthony Pettis, but since Pettis has had only one fight maybe Benson Henderson? He just steamrolled Shane Roller in their last fight featured on the WEC main card. (Rob McCullough seems the obvious choice, but Cerrone already holds that victory.)

Post #8   6/24/09 7:24:48PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,973-1,091
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

as i am

Post #9   6/25/09 8:51:00AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by loller90278

as i am

I'm not going to say what I want to say, because I'm a mod and I have a responsibility to be a "model poster".

I will say this, though. Has anyone considered the fact that Jamie's hand is still broken because of the fact that he took off the cast early and started training too soon? He's itching for this fight so badly that he won't allow his wounds to fully heal. This isn't speculation. This is fact.

For people to say that a guy who dominated another dude for 4 rounds is "scared" of him is just plain dumb. Jamie fights for a living. If he's fought the likes of Hermes Franca do you really think he's scared to fight the likes of Donald Cerrone? Get real. The dude trains and fights against Carlos Condit, Ryan Bader, and CB Dollaway every day. Condit or any one of those other guys would run through Cerrone like a hot knife through butter.

The dude competed and succeeded at the highest level in collegiate wrestling and was in the UFC. That's claim that Cerrone can't match at all. Cerrone's biggest accomplishments are riding bulls and winning some amateur kickboxing matches.

I'm not saying Cerrone isn't a quality opponent, but for people to assume Jamie is scared is just plain wrong. Take your ass down to Arizona combat sports and say it to his face. He's one of the most accessible and nicest guys out there. To keyboard warrior cowards

Post #10   6/25/09 9:31:32AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I like Jamie Varner clearly one of the toughest guys in the sport.

He really needs to use his head though, If I remember correctly, when he had his first surgery he took the cast off early, this resulted in a second surgery.

Brilliantly he stated he would be back training without the new cast in 3 weeks. (average healing time for his injury was 6 to 8 weeks).

I hope he comes back strong cause thats one of the few rematches I can't wait to see.

Post #11   6/25/09 9:50:49AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by loller90278

as i am

I'm not going to say what I want to say, because I'm a mod and I have a responsibility to be a "model poster".

I will say this, though. Has anyone considered the fact that Jamie's hand is still broken because of the fact that he took off the cast early and started training too soon? He's itching for this fight so badly that he won't allow his wounds to fully heal. This isn't speculation. This is fact.

For people to say that a guy who dominated another dude for 4 rounds is "scared" of him is just plain dumb. Jamie fights for a living. If he's fought the likes of Hermes Franca do you really think he's scared to fight the likes of Donald Cerrone? Get real. The dude trains and fights against Carlos Condit, Ryan Bader, and CB Dollaway every day. Condit or any one of those other guys would run through Cerrone like a hot knife through butter.

The dude competed and succeeded at the highest level in collegiate wrestling and was in the UFC. That's claim that Cerrone can't match at all. Cerrone's biggest accomplishments are riding bulls and winning some amateur kickboxing matches.

I'm not saying Cerrone isn't a quality opponent, but for people to assume Jamie is scared is just plain wrong. Take your ass down to Arizona combat sports and say it to his face. He's one of the most accessible and nicest guys out there. To keyboard warrior cowards

before you call people keyboard warrior cowards, you should actually look into who you are addressing. Anyways thanks for the model post

Post #12   6/25/09 10:11:08AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by loller90278

as i am

before you call people keyboard warrior cowards, you should actually look into who you are addressing. Anyways thanks for the model post

Neat. You train MT and some JJ. Good for you.

We're better than accusing fighters of running scared around here. If you do train MT and JJ, you know the deal. You fight who you get matched up against, you don't pick and choose your opponents. If your coach says you're fighting this guy or you're sparring against that guy, it doesn't matter. Jamie has said over and over again that it's his job to defend that belt, and he'll defend it from anyone they put in front of him. The dude personally has the medical records and the AC's have produced the medical records, too. All that to back up his claims. Like I said, if I should look into who I'm addressing first and you're such a tough guy, take a flight down to Phoenix and back up your **** talk. No need to prove it to me over the internet. Put your money where your mouth is and show Varner how scared he is.

You're bashing on a dude you don't even know, making claims that are completely contradictory to the evidence. 480-517-1960 That's the number to the gym. Let's see who runs scared now.

Post #13   6/25/09 10:51:11AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

well what did you expect when you insult a fighter who he sees give his blood and sweat everyday in the gym. i personally can't see how people would think Jamie is ducking Cerrone, but if you do that is your opinion and so be it. it is just painful when you train with some of these guys and you see how hard they are working and then they get injured and people start saying they are ducking fighters; it is unnerving.

Post #14   6/25/09 10:53:35AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by loller90278

as i am

Neat. You train MT and some JJ. Good for you.

We're better than accusing fighters of running scared around here. If you do train MT and JJ, you know the deal. You fight who you get matched up against, you don't pick and choose your opponents. If your coach says you're fighting this guy or you're sparring against that guy, it doesn't matter. Jamie has said over and over again that it's his job to defend that belt, and he'll defend it from anyone they put in front of him. The dude personally has the medical records and the AC's have produced the medical records, too. All that to back up his claims. Like I said, if I should look into who I'm addressing first and you're such a tough guy, take a flight down to Phoenix and back up your **** talk. No need to prove it to me over the internet. Put your money where your mouth is and show Varner how scared he is.

You're bashing on a dude you don't even know, making claims that are completely contradictory to the evidence. 480-517-1960 That's the number to the gym. Let's see who runs scared now.

ok buddy, your gonna need to chill. I personally don't see saying Varner is ducking Cerrone as a mega huge insult as you guys are making it to be. I'm very sorry if I offended those who clearly shown I have. Keeping in mind that this is only a message board ill discard that last calling up the gym and "putting my money where my mouth is"... and where in my 2 small posts did I even begin trying to make myself as being "such a tough guy" ? . If your goal here was to demonstrate that i'm some sort of a punk for not wanting to fight you cause I live Gatineau, Canada wich is 3,000 miles away, then i guess congrats... I personally don't have the time to make that trip but your more than welcome to come visit me up north, seriously I do not regard saying a fighter is ducking another one as fighter bashing quite honestly, these are my thoughts and that is it. In no way have I personally insulted the skills or achievements of jamie varner nor am I going to, cause I don't think he's a bad fighter at all...he's the champ. As other posters said, I just believe that he either needs to make better efforts in order to recover in a proper way or that he finds an alternative source of motivation to keep on doing what he's doing. What i'm trying to say is that i'm not questioning his health issues, i'm questioning his mental state. I simply didin't believe he was all that motivated anymore after the Cerrone fight. That is all, so let's all take a breather now.

Last edited 6/25/09 11:27AM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #15   6/25/09 11:14:34AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2