Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lyoto Machida, Randy Couture, Fedor Emelianenko All Possible for EA Sports MMA Video Game

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
To me the problem with this right now is that if EA cannot secure enough known fighters, the game will look half assed and will not likely be successful. That is why I think they should make the game totally generic and put the saved money into developing the game beyond that of the UFC one. One thing I think would be interesting is a way to build your fighter from the ground up. That is, you can increase your fighter's abilities through training. Introduce random injuries as an obstacle for training. There are so many ways EA could make this game interesting without specific likenesses.

From my perspective the likenesses of characters is only a minute aspect of the game and should be the last thing people consider. That is, focus on the game itself and not the characters. Make everything that goes into the game work well/better than the UFC game and that is what should matter. I for one would rather play "Brand X golf" rather than "Tiger Woods golf" if it was a better game overall.

If I am wrong and people are really that hell bent on having certain fighters' likenesses there are ways to circumvent the problem at hand. I am just guessing, but as far as I know there is nothing saying that fighting styles cannot be used without permission. That coupled with a make your own fighter option is a way to allow fans to create their fave fighters without having to deal with likenesses. Allow a multitude of different ways that a player can control their fighter's victory dance from scratch. Taken together these types of options, though fundamentally generic, can allow one to create their favorite fighter. Have we lost all imagination when it comes to these sorts of things? Some of the best sports game memories came from generic sports games where we pretended to play certain teams and players.

There is no way that this game needs any fighter likeness to be good. There are a number of classic games that come to mind where all (or almost all) of the characters were generic. Mike Tyson's PunchOut and RBI baseball immediately come to mind.

Post #16   7/16/09 1:55:28PM   

Thefridge1337

MMA Regular

Thefridge1337 Avatar

Career:763-498
Chips:

Posted by Rush

To me the problem with this right now is that if EA cannot secure enough known fighters, the game will look half assed and will not likely be successful. That is why I think they should make the game totally generic and put the saved money into developing the game beyond that of the UFC one. One thing I think would be interesting is a way to build your fighter from the ground up. That is, you can increase your fighter's abilities through training. Introduce random injuries as an obstacle for training. There are so many ways EA could make this game interesting without specific likenesses.

From my perspective the likenesses of characters is only a minute aspect of the game and should be the last thing people consider. That is, focus on the game itself and not the characters. Make everything that goes into the game work well/better than the UFC game and that is what should matter. I for one would rather play "Brand X golf" rather than "Tiger Woods golf" if it was a better game overall.

If I am wrong and people are really that hell bent on having certain fighters' likenesses there are ways to circumvent the problem at hand. I am just guessing, but as far as I know there is nothing saying that fighting styles cannot be used without permission. That coupled with a make your own fighter option is a way to allow fans to create their fave fighters without having to deal with likenesses. Allow a multitude of different ways that a player can control their fighter's victory dance from scratch. Taken together these types of options, though fundamentally generic, can allow one to create their favorite fighter. Have we lost all imagination when it comes to these sorts of things? Some of the best sports game memories came from generic sports games where we pretended to play certain teams and players.

There is no way that this game needs any fighter likeness to be good. There are a number of classic games that come to mind where all (or almost all) of the characters were generic. Mike Tyson's PunchOut and RBI baseball immediately come to mind.

i totally agree i hope its like fight night where in the career mode you dont have to fight the same people 5 times. I could care less about who is in it as long as they make the game well and not just have your opponent body kick you 100 times because you can't move or block

Post #17   7/16/09 8:20:34PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2